Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off i would put a layer of poly on the ceiling. It will make a big difference on warm up. BTU`s are a standard unit, so 80k is 80k- add your own fan for faster heat up.

Always be careful when using these types of heaters indoors, besides the fire hazard they use up oxygen.

Also check outmr heater

Use this advice at your own risk, it isn`t much different than other heaters. In the past i have used a gas Bar-b-q. It was new, so it didn`t smoke with burnt food and heated quickly. I guess it could be cleaned, if dirty. I used it to warm up the garage, then used electric heat to keep the heat constant.

Post Thanks / Like
    SR77:

It will take a little longer to heat up the space without the forced air, how much longer will depend on how cold it is when you start out and how much space your trying to warm up. I`ve seen but never used the one`s your talking about though.

I was at Lowes the other day and it looks like Reddy Heater has re-freshed thier line for the season. I saw a couple of small Propane forced air one`s that looked sweet. No Thermostat but I think Reddy Heater sells a portable one you plug up to thier heaters and it will turn the heater on and off based on the temp you set.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the radiator style heaters?

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replies. i will probably get a propane forcded air one and give it a try. Maybe next summer i will try to get some insolation up on the ceiling too. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    With the climate changing this is a good thread..The heater in the posters link will heat 1,250 sq ft.. this would be enough for any 2 1/2 car garage ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a heater like the one you posted. Let me give you a little tip. The very first thing I would do if I where you is spend a little money and insulate the heck out of your garage. If you just want to do it cheap throw some insulation between the studs and staple some plastic over it. Then throw some insulation up in the attic space if you have one or between the roof rafters if your roof is exposed. I insulated my garage a few years ago and I just turn the heater on to get the garage warm and once it is warmed up I can turn it off for a pretty long time before needing to kick it on again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spam and spammer deleted. -- Tort

Creating Parking Lot Envy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been researching this very topic [heat for the garage] for the last week or so and I am currently leaning towards a portable [on wheels] heat pump. This way I have heat and air-conditioning [need for Georgia summers] unit that I also can take to a clientĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s garage when needed. No toxic fumes.

I am looking at the Armcor and Soleus Air units so if anybody has used either unit please let us know. Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note about my new garage and an earlier post. INSULATION - makes all the difference. My walls and ceiling are insultated and I have 2 5` (thermostat controlled) electric heaters on either side of the garage. While we haven`t been hit too hard yet in Pa., we have had a couple of 20-25 degree mornings. Without any heat, my garage is staying at about 45 degrees; with the heaters on, after about 1 hour my thermometer reads about 50-55 although quite frankly it feels warmer then that to the point that I turn the heat off. In my mind, its all about the insultation. I`m anxious to see the results on VERY cold days but so far I`m glad I made the investment in full insulation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by columbus6cyl
    I didnt htink to many people get there cars detailied in winter

Most people don`t but its nice to be able to warm the garage to 80 degrees, turn a bunch of bright lights on, blast some tunes and image its summer when there is snow falling outside.:buffing:

I have a cheapo round kerosene heating unit (no forced). It takes about an hour to really warm up the garage but it can run for about 12 hours on a tank and my garage door is pretty poorly sealed so I have it turned up all way most of the time. I like the fact that if worse comes to worse I can bring this guy inside the house and heat the place if the power is out for extended periods of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a 75,000 btu model Modine "Hot Dawg" heater on the ceiling of my 36` X 30` insulated garage. It uses natural gas and I keep the thermostat at 45F when not working in the garage. The insulation makes it very cheap to run and I don`t worry about kerosense, shorts, or portable heaters falling over and catching fire. It`s worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I think I have decided on the Mr Heater 55k propane force air heater for the garage. I`ll just crack open the garage door alittle and crank that thing up. We`ll see how it does, got to be better then nothing. Some day i wil get a fixed unit for the ceiling, but I am not sure how long I am going to be in this house for, so i figured this the the best way to go for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just keep anything flamable away from the front of it for at least 5` and ventilate the work area and you`ll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Since I have a 2 car, I plan on lacing it in the middle between both cars while its running so that should give it the space it needs in front of it. And i will crack open one of the garage doors also while its running. I also have a Carbon monoxide detecter near my work bench.

Post Thanks / Like
    STG, how do you like your heater? Do you have any issues with fumes, etc? I had a shop that had radiant heating and it had an aweful stink to ti! I had a natural gas line installed in my new garage for a heater like yours but havent decided whether or not to do it yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information