Post Thanks / Like
    our 2car garage right now only have a two-socket outlet on the ceiling (one outlet used up by the garage opener), another outlet in one wall, plus a switch for a scew-in light bulb. I want to add some shop light to the ceiling after we settle in. at first i thought about just plugging a powerstrip into the one available outlet in the ceiling and plug the shop light in there. then I realize I have no way to turn it on and off convinently. how difficult is it to add a new switch that`ll control say 3 or 4 shop lights? I do have the black and decker home improvement and home repair books, but its lost in the garage during the move and i don`t know where they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not difficult if you have the right tools. Depending on your local codes you will need either thin wall conduit or romex to run the wire from the source to your lights. Why not convert your existing screw in junction box to an out let box and plug the shop lights in to it. You will be able to cut power to the outlet from your existing switch

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure if you`re problem has been solved, but the easiest way might be to buy one of those lightbulb socket things that have one or two outlets in it. i used that on my front porch to plug in a fan and little tv, and the light switch turns everything on and off. there`s also a chain switch(?) to turn the light on or off, but the fan/tv will still stay on. hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think your best bet is to get power from the switched light. I dont know if all of these are on the same circuit or not (probably are), but you should still be able to run a couple more lights off of that one w/o running into overloading problems. kill the power, run wire from existing light to new lights. I know I make it sound pretty simple, but it really is. Just be careful and get a tester to make sure there is no power to the wires you`re messing w/ since you`re not an electrician. And if you dont want to do the work yourself, feel free to shoot me a pm. We have an electrical contracting business. If you do want to attempt it, let me know if you have any more questions.
    :usa

2008 Tacoma

Post Thanks / Like
    just get "the clapper"

then u can Clap On...Clap OFf

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option is to use one of those large flourescent lights that plug into your existing light sockets. I`ll see if I can find a link.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy adapters at Lowe`s/Home Depot that convert a regular light bulb socket into an outlet or two.

Then you can buy cheaper flouescents (I think the ones I used were dual 4-footers for $8 per fixture at home depot) and just plug them in and hang them with eye bolts.

I had two light bulbs in my garage, plus an two outlets on the ceiling for the garage door opener.

Here`s what I did.

I bought two adapters that turn a light bulb socket into one outlet, and let you use the light bulb as well (adds a socket). I then bought one of those 3 to 1 outlet prong thingies, and put it in the outlet that was made with the adapter. I then plugged two of those dual 4` fluorescents into each strip.

End result = 4 x 4` dual fluoro tubes, two 100watt lightbulbs, and a shop light that hangs from the extra outlet by the garage door opener.

Around the walls of the garage, I have 2 x 2 outlets, with an Air compressor, big stereo, shop vac, and a drill press plugged in.

The only time I`ve tripped a breaker is with EVERYTHING going. That`s once in the last year. Works good and was a good afternoon project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSMu4ia
    You can buy adapters at Lowe`s/Home Depot that convert a regular light bulb socket into an outlet or two.

the problem with this idea is that you have to make sure that your florescent lights dont have a plug that has a ground on it, you need the lights that have only two prong plugs at the end of the power cord

Post Thanks / Like
    I plugged a power strip into my ceiling outlet and plugged in two 4` florescent fixtures into them, so I use the switch on the power strip to control those and I replaced the one ceiling 60 watt bulb (switchable) with a powerful 8` florescent fixture. I still get a kick at that thing turning night into day when I turn it on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Star
    just get "the clapper"

then u can Clap On...Clap OFf

Man that would suck to have in a garage.

Every time your ratchet clicked it would turn the lights on and off, it would be like a strobe light show everytime you change your oil or whatever your working on LOL

Thread Information