Post Thanks / Like
    The lighting in my garage is poor. Below is a sketch (sorry it`s so poor) of my garage. It`s 34` long by 20` wide. Currently there are 3 fixtures in the garage, but I can only use 2 of them because the garage door opener is right below the third. The current lighting is shown in BLACK. I basically have one 75 watt bulb in each fixture. I do most of my work around where the car is close to the door, so I am pondering putting in two 4` florescent light fixtures (shown in blue). Each fixture will hold two T12 or T8 bulbs. The ceilings are low (6`10") so I won`t get huge amount of flood effect from the lights. Do you think that will be enough to light up the front area of the garage?

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, no. You will have lots of dark areas and shadows with that setup. Since the fixtures are so cheap why not plan on at least 4 of them.

Also bear in mind that the lights need to be positioned so as not to be obscured by the overhead door whenever the door is up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not enough by any means if you ask me. The Fluorescents are so cheap just by a bunch. I have a tiny garage...20`x16` and I have 6 fluorescent fixtures. It also helps to paint the walls white to reflect some of the light too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a garage about this same size. I have 4-4ft. dual bulb flourescent fixtures and I still have some dark spots. It works well though. I`m thinking of putting some on the walls as well. Good luck.

Later

S W

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks man. It`s not the expense, but the wiring and installation. The ceiling is finished and I don`t want to start cutting holes. Some of the cheaper 4` shop light fixtures actually just plug in. I can convert the exisint hanging socket to an outlet with a screw adapter for an easy installation. I was thinking to get more light towards the rear of the garage I can get a bulb splitter (converts one socket into two, and install two of the new florescent (incandecent style) bulbs in each of the 2 sockets to double the light from them. Then I will have to play wih the 4` fixtures in the front of the garage where the door is. Maybe I will get 3 and off set the center one a bit behind the two on the sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have electricity to a garage door opener you can tap into in the garage attic? My garage is 24x36 with another stall tandem for my workshop. I plan on installing 9 fixtures on 2 different switches. Just waiting until it gets cooler. Also I plan on running a circuit for a window air to cool it down during my summer details. I already have 2 floor drains and water. My wife asked me why I don`t just put my bed out there...hmmm.....-¿-.....zzzzzz.....
    07 Kia Sportage EX

07 Kia Rio

Dodge Dakota 4 door 4x4

Chrysler 300m Sold

92 Dodge Stealth RT TT Sold

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar size 3 car garage and have 13 double ballasts. I think it`s perfect, would not use any less.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    13?!? Wow!!!!!

Thread Information