Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jake,

Another place for "Garage" info.... www.garagejunkies.net :spot

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I`ve been moving in for the last few days. (I hate moving) :down But anyway the place is a mess of boxes and stuff, but I took a few pics before everything got junked up. Here are the garage pics I promised...

You can see It`s a pretty small garage. You can swing both doors open on one car if both are parked correctly. The entry door on the far left is the hot water heater. There is no storage closet of any kind. I was thinking of putting a small storage tower in the space on the right. I`ll have to leave enough room for the lawnmower until I get a separate storage shed for that. Then I`ll be able to use that whole section for storage...

Well the builder wasn`t concerned with the detail enthusiast when he installed this tiny light in the garage. The garage door opener light is actually better. With both lights on the garage, it is not lit well enough for any serious detailing. I`ll definitely need to upgrade to better lighting...

Closeup of the storage corner...

One measely outlet in the entire garage... :down I wish he would have at least put one on the other side...

Any comments or suggestions welcome... :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure you upgrade your lighting before installing any flooring in the attic. I made that mistake and it was a pain to do it afterwards.

Nice place. I want to put a similar roof shingle on my house when the time comes, it really makes the home look more upscale. :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Get some good high output 4` Flourscent lights up on the ceiling and if possile have an electrician come in and drop a few more outlets. You can never have enough a wise man once said (Accumulator). My garage/house isnt even done yet and I already wish I would have put about 5 more outlets in at least. Looks like theres a lot of potential there, the storage nook is a nice touch. Hey its your first garage, dont worry that its smaller than you wanted we all have to start somewhere. I think once you get some lights, etc in it`ll be a very nice detailing spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments and advice Kevin. I`ll be sure and do that. You probably saved me a lot of headache. :2thumbs:

SVT, I think I`ll have an electrician drop in a few more outlets like you suggested. I`ll call a few places today and get some estimates on cost. I think three flourescents should be enough. Hopefully it won`t be too much. We have been shelling out quite a bit here lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jake,

You still have plenty of space. That storage corner is perfect for a workbench or the Ikea shelving units that I use. I also had only one AC plug but you can add more for not too much money. I`m going to add flourescents soon...

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want more light to temporarily hold you over, do what I did:

Go to Wal-Mart or a local hardware store and buy a single-to-dual light socket splitter (found in the hardware department for just a couple bucks).

Then go over to the light bulb department and get two 100-watt equivalent fluorescent standard socket bulbs like these:

You`ll be using less electricity with twice the output of one standard 100 watt bulb, and the light will be cast more uniformly in the garage since they face opposite directions.
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip WSU and Silverlexus. My brother does electrician work and he said he could put in a few more outlets and tie four additional flourescents to the main switch. I was thinking three across the middle and one along the back like this.

House entrance

o Bulb

| | | 3 Flourescents

| | |

_____ 1 Flourescent

____Garage door____

What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont forget tot take into consideration how far into the garage the door travels when its open. I assume most of your detailing will be done with the door open (weather permitting)? Otherwise I think your layout should provide great lighting for your garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, adding additional outlets can be a do it yourself project. Especially if your bro can help. Lighing can be tricky with such a high mounted garage door. Maybe some recessed haolgen cans 6-8 on 2 seperate switches would be nice. Good lucj with your project. We love pics so please keep them coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake11375
    Tulsa or T-town as we call it! I`m in Edmond. I have some family in Tulsa. Very confusing streets. I always get lost when I go there. :nervous2:
    I am from Oklahoma too. Claremore, OK to be exact. I just happen to live in Lumberton, Texas now. I moved away 2 1/2 years ago. Tulsa is very easy to get around. Much easier than Oklahoma City.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I guess it`s just what you`re used to. I`ve been living in the OKC metro area for 10+ years and I know it like the back of my hand. I suppose Tulsa would be the same if I stayed there for a while too. But for now, I need onstar or something to get around Tulsa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake11375
    Tulsa or T-town as we call it! I`m in Edmond. I have some family in Tulsa. Very confusing streets. I always get lost when I go there. :nervous2:
    It is easy to find your way around tulsa. It is laid out in a square mile grid pattern. OKC is much more difficult to get around. Of course I am from the Tulsa area (Claremore to be exact). I have spent some time in the OKC area too (Edmond, Yukon). My uncle lives in Edmond and my brother graduated from UCO. My brother also lived in Yukon for about ten years while coaching at Choctaw and Putnam City. No offense, but Tulsa is much prettier too.

BTW, nice house. Edmond is a very nice area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

really friend. You are very lucky.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information