Post Thanks / Like

The Gloss Boss Presents: Caddy CTS-4 Extensive Wet Sanding, Full Correction, Seats Out, CQUK!

A buddy of mine who has done some graphic design work for me asked me to do a major detail on his ’12 CTS-4. Despite being only 2 years old with 27k miles, the car appeared to have been treated with less than adequate care and had never been properly detailed. The interior wasn’t too bad except for some scuffs and scrapes. However, there was a lackluster repair to the entire passenger side of the vehicle from a wreck. More on the paint later…
    I started with the engine bay. The extensive plastic covering made it a breeze to whip back into shape.

• · Rinsed with garden hose
    • · Sprayed with Super Degreaser cut 8:1 (water:degreaser)
    • · Agitated with Boar’s hair wheel brush, EZ-detail brush for tighter areas and Wheel Woolies round head brush for intricate areas.
    • · Rinsed, dried with compressor
    • · Dressed with 303 Aerospace

Motor Pics

Before

After

Next up was the interior. The leather was a bit stiff and there was some minor dust and debris throughout. The owner wanted utmost thoroughness so I removed the seats to ensure maximum results. Good thing I did because I found a few things that I wouldn’t have been able to access otherwise. Headliner was wiped down with Folex. Leather and vinyl trim were given a full Leatherique treatment with both RO and PC. Carpets were thoroughly vacuumed then cleaned and freshened with the steamer. Rubber mats were wiped down with Super Degreaser 8:1. Rubber seals and gaskets were cleaned up with Leatherique PC and door jambs were steamed. Dressed and protected interior with 303 Aerospace and 303 Fabric Guard.
    Interior Pics. I didn’t get many afters because I always forget to. Sigh.

Leather here was oily and dirty

Seating before Leatherique

I also Leatherique`d the trim.

The conditions were not ideal for the Leatherique to work it`s best (we had a few days of unusually chilly temps last week) but with 20 hours of dwell time it made a marked improvement to the color and feel.

Wash and Prep

First up were the wheels, tires, and wells. In preparation for Tuff Shine Tire coating later, I gave the tires 3 heavy scrubbings each using the Tuff Shine brush and Bleach White. Wells were cleaned with Super Degreaser 4:1 and a generic long handle brush. Wheels received an IronX treatment and were cleaned up with Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam.
    Car was pressure rinsed and given a strong foam bath with Dawn. After some dwell time, the car was re-rinsed and then re-foamed and hand washed with CGHDSF. After yet another rinse and foam I scrubbed the car down with a Nanoskin fine grade mitt and did an IronX treatment. Car was rinsed and then dried off with a Dry Me Crazy waffle weave MF towel.

The tires had their fair share of gunked up tire dressing

Time for some correction…This is where the real neglect was evident. Evidence of some shoddy bodywork, painting, and “finishing” were easy to spot in addition to usual dose of swirls and rids.
    The entire passenger side had a lot of texture, but it was very excessive on the front passenger fender, passenger side view mirror and rear passenger quarter. Since I was asked to keep the detail within a certain budget I just tackled the worst of the texture. The trunk lid and several isolate scratches were sanded down as well. I machine wet sanded (GG6 and GG3) with 1500 then 3000 Unigrit discs using an interface as to not remove too much texture and match the rest of the vehicle.

Excellent repaint, eh? Not...

Heavy rear quarter texture

Factory texture, for reference

Repainted side again. Not good.

Notice texture difference here too...

Several RIDS back here were addressed

Took a break Friday and went to the Cards V Braves game.

Restoring gloss and factory-like texture...

Much better

The paint ended up being a pain to correct. The repainted section was much softer than the factory side and only required M105 on an orange LC pad at speed 4 (GG6) to correct, and finished with Menzerna 4500 on a black finishing pad. The factory side was rock hard and required M101 and MF cutting discs on speed 6 for compounding and 205/white polishing pad to finish. Tight area compounding was done on my Harbor Freight rotary with a maroon pad and either 105 or Menzerna 2500. This has become my preferred method for small area compounding because the GG3 just doesn’t quite cut it for correction most of the time for me. It is however an awesome sander.

Took this pic immediately after finishing. This was at like 4AM. I nearly pulled an all nighter. I woke up around 11AM and drove down to the shop with my buddy so he could get his car.

The Gloss Boss, LLC
    Kris Metje, Owner
    http://theglossbosscape.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Gloss Boss Presents: Caddy CTS-4 Extensive Wet Sanding, Full Correction, Seats Out, CQUK!

Finally, the car was coated using CQuartz UK edition. I did the paint, trim, and windshield. The tires were given 1 coat of Tuff Shine Tire Clearcoat and the wheels were wiped down with Hybrid V7.

Not pleased with the suns lack of cooperation this morning, but I did manage to give you all a couple decent reflection shots.

I want to try and do this with all my customers who get corrections/coating details. Client-photobombed Paint Selfie!

Total time was 28 hours. Thanks for looking!
    The Gloss Boss, LLC
    Kris Metje, Owner
    http://theglossbosscape.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Gloss Boss Presents: Caddy CTS-4 Extensive Wet Sanding, Full Correction, Seats Out, CQUK!

Great job! looks awesome. Lot of work. I know your buddy was happy

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Gloss Boss! That paint was messed up for sure

I too love skipping work and going to a ball game. Almost got took out on my last outing by a foul ball. I still shutter when I think of the damage that could`ve been done

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

That turned out really good. Nice job on it

Post Thanks / Like

Nice turn around!

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding documentation. That Cadillac looks a million times better!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Thread Information