Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything with `Lingenfelter` on it deserves `The Finest` - Rare SSR Corrected & Coated

The owner of this vehicle contacted me last year about having this special SSR detailed. He was concerned with the swirls in the paint and wanted them cleaned up so the car could look its best. After discussing various options we also settled on the CQuartz Finest Premium Paint Coating as the best means to protect the finish and maintain that "just detailed" look.

This vehicle is rarely driven (~25,000 miles on the odometer) and has never even seen rain, but it definitely needed some work. The paint was riddled with swirls, scratches, and holograms which created a duller appearance that simply lacked the `pop` of nicely polished bright red paint. The paint on this Chevy turned out to be very hard and required an immense amount of compounding. This cutting phase was then refined with a finishing polish to truly enhance the gloss and clarity in the paint. After this tedious correction process, the surface was carefully cleansed and then coated with 2 thick coats of CQuartz Finest. The paint looked like an entirely different color... the photos don`t do it justice.

After several days of work, and a total of ~20 hours of labor, I was glad to be finished with this one. It turned out great, and the owner was thrilled, which makes it all worthwhile.

Process
    Tires: Meguiar`s D103 4:1
    Wheels: ONR then lightly polished by hand with M205
    Wash: ONR
    Tar Removal: Tarminator
    Decontamination: Nanoskin Fine Grade Mitt with Glide as Lubrication
    Tape: 3M Performance Automotive Masking Tape & Painters Tape
    Paint Thickness Readings Taken
    Compound: HD Cut on 6.5" & 5.5" Meguiar`s MF Cutting Pads via Rupes LHR21ES and 3" Pads via Rupes LHR75E
    Polish: HD Polish on 5.5" LC White Polishing Pads via GG and 3" via PC7424XP
    Wash: ONR
    Surface Prep: CarPro Eraser
    Coating: CarPro CQuartz Finest
    LSP: Reload (24 hours after coating application)
    Glass: Meguiar`s D120 and DI Glass Towels
    Exhaust Tips: P21S Polishing Soap
    Tires: CarPro PERL

Before

Inspecting the paint in the sun after it had been thoroughly washed and decontaminated. Defects were easily visible.

Holograms were evident. These trails of defects that you see are created by buffing machines when used improperly. This is a clear sign of the poor job the detailer did before me.

Inspecting the paint under LED lighting after it had been thoroughly washed and decontaminated

During

Here you can see swirls and holograms everywhere

My test spot yielded great correction results. The majority of defects were gone after much compounding and polishing, although many heavier defects remained.

Hood in the sun before correction.

Hood in the sun after correction. The majority of light to moderate defects were removed which greatly restored color and clarity to the surface. There were some deeper defects that remained, however these are much harder to spot even in direct lighting.

This 50/50 shot does a great job showing the difference in depth and color. The corrected area on the left is clearly deeper and richer color, and the outline of the reflections are much more crisp and clear.

Fender before correction.

Fender after compounding.

Fender before correction. Notice the amount of deeper defects.

Fender after multiple compounding passes. As I mentioned, this paint was very hard. Most of the vehicle was compounded twice and some areas three times! (A total of ~8-16 passes with very slow arm speed and rather high machine speed)

Door before correction

Here you can see more improvement after 2 sets of compounding passes, but this particular set of scratches weren`t going anywhere.

After correction was completed, CQuartz Finest was applied and the paint took on a completely new appearance. It was like glass!

CQuartz Finest is truly an amazing coating. Within minutes it is hard enough that it begins to repel itself. I wiped a small amount of coating on this section to demonstrate these properties - notice the tiny beads of coating that had formed immediately after touching the surface.

After applying CQuartz Finest, the vehicle was pulled out into the setting sunlight for inspection. Looking great!

The vehicle was left to cure overnight and I finished up the smaller details the following afternoon. Here is the exhaust tips before polishing.

After rubbing with P21S polishing soap.

Exhaust all polished and looking like new again.

The tires had an extreme amount of tire dressing built up on them. There was so much old solvent based dressing on the tire that it formed a thick, dull layer of goo on the surface of the tire. Notice how much deeper and nicer the clean section on the right looks. Note: The right side has NOT been dressed yet. This is just from cleaning the tire!

I used quite a few towels on this job (as I do on most jobs)

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anything with `Lingenfelter` on it deserves `The Finest` - Rare SSR Corrected & Coated

After

Empty CQuartz Finest w/ CarPro Banner in the background... excellent reflection shot, too!

The paint was truly glowing afterwards.

The red paint was vibrant and deep.

Great reflections.

The truck turned out great!

As always, thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anything with `Lingenfelter` on it deserves `The Finest` - Rare SSR Corrected & Coated

very nice work Zach ! beautiful finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning job Zach. I really like the wheel combo on that SSR. Very sharp.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

That turned out great. Awesome job Zach

Dave@Lake Country Mfg. David Patterson@LakeCountry's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks fantastic. Great work!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Zach!

Post Thanks / Like

nice work. I never knew Lingenfelter even made a SSR. That`s a pretty sweet ride. Looks almost candy red in those pics now.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Now dat be a shiney ride

nice job
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work my fellow installer !

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Zach you killed that one!!! Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

If it was Lingenfelter why did you not show the engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work. That red is screaming!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    nice work. I never knew Lingenfelter even made a SSR. That`s a pretty sweet ride. Looks almost candy red in those pics now.
    According to the owner, this was 1 of 3 that Lingenfelter did. So it is quite rare.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    If it was Lingenfelter why did you not show the engine?
    Yeah, I had that same thought when I was looking through my photos... oops!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information