Post Thanks / Like

Very Brief Look at my weekend project - 2009 Pontiac G8 GT Paint Correction

The owner of this car contacted me through my Facebook Page and was interested in cleaning up this gorgeous red G8. This car is driven most of the year, but gets put away for bad weather and in the winter. It is a lower mileage vehicle, with the odometer reading under 30k, and needed a bit of work to restore some lost gloss and depth in the bright red paint.

The majority of the defects were typical swirls that I would assume had been introduced during washing and drying. They were fine scratches, but they covered every square inch of the paint which created a duller appearance. This vehicle is also used to haul the owner`s kids to and from various sporting events, so it showed some signs of abuse that comes with carrying passengers and equipment on a regular basis.

Process

Exterior

Wheels: CG Diablo Gel (4:1) with various brushes and wheel woolies
    Tires: Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner
    Pre-Wash Foam: CG Citrus Wash via Gilmour Foammaster II Foam Gun
    Bug & Tar Removal: Stoner`s Tarminator
    Wash: CG Citrus Wash
    Iron/Fallout Removal: Iron X
    Decontamination: Nanoskin Fine Grade Mitt
    Dry: DI Waffle Weave Towels
    Tape: Automotive Masking Tape
    Paint Thickness Readings Taken
    Polish: Optimum Hyper Polish on an Orange Light Cutting Pad via Rupes LHR21ES w/ 5.5" Pads and PC7424XP w/ 3" & 4" Pads
    IPA Wipe Down: ~15% IPA Solution (diluted with distilled water)
    Paint Protection: Sonax Polymer Net Shield
    Tire & Trim Dressing: Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel
    Glass: CarPro Fast Glass Towels
    Exhaust Tips: CG Metal Polish + Protection via #0000 Steel Wool

Interior
    Thorough Vacuum
    Rubber Floor Mats: Scrubbed with Meguiar`s D103 (10:1), Rinsed, Then Blown Dry
    Trim & Door Jams: Cleaned with Megiar`s D103 (10:1) then dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant
    Leather: 303 Aerospace Protectant
    Vinyl & Plastic: 303 Aerospace Protectant
    Glass: CarPro Fast Glass Towels

This is just a very brief look at what was done to this car. The rest of the photos will be featured in a full length article on the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog in the near future.

Before

Wheels were in pretty good shape. Typical brake dust buildup, and the barrels needed a good cleaning.

Hard water spots all over.

During

Tar spots were safely removed with tarminator. You can see the tar deposits dissolving as they react with the tar remover. They are then easily wiped away.

After the car was washed and decontaminated, the true condition of the paint was revealed. A very swirled finish that left the paint looking dull.

Clarity and depth were restored with a one-stage polishing process that removed the majority of lighter swirls and defects.

Fender before correction - notice how dull the reflections are.

Fender after correction. Notice how clear and vivid the reflection is after polishing. What a great transformation!

As usual... Had to snap a pic of my car looking good outside while I`m working (my car was recently washed, decontaminated with IronX and then topped with CarPro ReLoad).

Interior door trim before cleaning. Plenty of built up dirt and dust.

Interior door trim after cleaning with Mequir`s D103 and dressing/protecting with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

After

Paint was incredibly smooth and glossy. Looked fantastic! Stay tuned for the complete write up that will be published in the near future!

Thanks for looking!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very Brief Look at my weekend project - 2009 Pontiac G8 GT Paint Correction

Great work Zach! The G6 looks very nice.

How do you like 303 Protectant on Leather?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post
    Great work Zach! The G6 looks very nice.

How do you like 303 Protectant on Leather?
    Thanks!

303 works as a quick and easy way to darken and protect black leather, but I don`t personally use it on my own leather too often.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some 303 but always use Leatherique. I will have to try 303 on some leather.

What do you use on your personal leather?

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Thanks!

303 works as a quick and easy way to darken and protect black leather, but I don`t personally use it on my own leather too often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post
    I have some 303 but always use Leatherique. I will have to try 303 on some leather.

What do you use on your personal leather?
    I`ve been using Griot`s Leather care lately... I wanted to try something different. Not sure if I am a big fan of it... I really like Leatherique though.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that looks great

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great. Did you use a finishing pad after the orange polishing pad for the marks left by the orange pad ?? Any finer polish ??

Post Thanks / Like

Very Brief Look at my weekend project - 2009 Pontiac G8 GT Paint Correction

Quote Originally Posted by sjb89 View Post
    Looks great. Did you use a finishing pad after the orange polishing pad for the marks left by the orange pad ?? Any finer polish ??
    Thanks!

Definitely no need for a finishing step after a light cutting pad and medium polish on this type of paint. The orange light cutting pad is one of my favorite pads to use for one stage corrections like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Thanks!

Definitely no need for a finishing step after a light cutting pad and medium polish on this type of paint. The orange light cutting pad is one of my favorite pads to use for one stage corrections like this.
    When you say "this type of paint" do you mean the color or hardness?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
    When you say "this type of paint" do you mean the color or hardness?
    Mostly hardness, but color does play a factor as well... this paint was very nice to work with. It is possible that the same product/pad combo would have left marring on soft, dark paint... but that is why test spots are so important.

Knowing that I was only doing a one-stage correction on this car, I wanted to maximize correction ability without sacrificing finishing ability. This light cutting pad allowed me to get a bit more cut out of an otherwise mild polish and still finish down flawlessly (ie without any haze or marring left behind).

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful !
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Thread Information