Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My arsenal

Post Thanks / Like
    I was claying my 01 white BMW today. I continually reshaped the clay as per the directions. On some of the harder spots, I would go across then up and down to lift the embedded dirt. Almost like a cross. I lubed it heavily while doing this. I only used the cross motion on the harder spots that wouldn`t lift just going across. Now I can see minor scuffs in the clear coat. Uggghhh. What did I do wrong. I checked the clay regularly to make sure it did`t have any pieces of dirt in it? What do I do about the scuffs now? They are minor and you can`t feel them with your fingernail. Will the Z5 cover that up? No more clay for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    One way to ensure clean clay is to break off a smaller piece of clay and use that in one direction (same as applying Sealants) and when done with small area discard.

I think when reshaping the clay you should have folded it and kneaded it again to expose a clean area of clay. If you scratched the paint it was due to contaminates the clay picked up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven’t used Z yet but I think it sounds like it’s too much for it to cover. A polish like 3M FI2, SMR or Meguiar’s #9 would take care of it permanently. The thing I found with clay is that you don’t need to press hard at all and I tend to move the bar fairly slow working it front to back with about 8†strokes. I try and remember to remold often and use plenty of lube like you said and also lift it to the next section instead of dragging it. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll get the bimmer looking good

:up

SJS

Post Thanks / Like
    WHAT DID U USE FOR LUBE?

The good news is.............

I doubt you marred the finish up if you used clay correctly, didn`t drop it, turned frequently, and the car was relatively clean. Clay is pretty safe. Sometimes (I never had this happen with zaino clay) clay residue comes off on the car which looks like scratches but is actually small residue of clay marking up the surface. WASH WITH 4 capfuls of Z7 wash per 5 gallon bucket very well or try using a little bit of Z5 or Z1 on some of the spots to see if that removes them. I bet it is residue and will go away if this is the case. I had the same thing happen before with other clays and I really thought I scratched up the car, but didn`t. If Z1 or Z5 removes it, just zaino over those scuffs and you will be ok. If washing doesn`t help you somehow marred up your finish. You can call sal for assistance or post more info here!

DK

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly like DK said, I had that happened before (that`s with a Zaino Clay). I almost freaked out, but fortunatelly it went away with one wash and a coat of Z! (I didn`t pay attention whether it was Z7 that removed it or Z5). I thought I scratched the paint but it wasn`t.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by deputydog95 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I was claying my 01 white BMW today. [/b]</blockquote>
    HEY!!! I thought i was the only one with a white 01 BMW.

http://www.mindspring.com/~pmbenn/bmw.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I have learned that Alpine White BMW paint is very easy to marr or swirl; even the slightest mistake you make on it shows. Be careful!

I would try washing your Bimmer just incase the clay bar left any residue. If the marring is still present, try a mild polish such as Meguiar’s #9 2.0 SMR and see if that helps. Then wash the vehicle again to remove any polishing oils the polish left behind, and start Zing.

Good luck, and be careful on that paint! Use only high-quality microfiber towels or soft 100% cotton towels.

~bw

Post Thanks / Like

My arsenal

I don`t detail on a professional level but I do like to keep my own vehicles looking good. I wanted to list the products I use and see if others could tell me products that might suit me better.

I use the same stuff on all my vehicles

1. Meguiars Gold Class Car wash
    2. Stoners Invisible Glass
    3. Black Magic Tire Wet
    4. Armor All Wheel Cleaner
    5. Mother`s Back to Black (exterior plastic trim)
    6. Meguiars Clay Bar kit
    7. Armor All and Turtle Wax F21 for interior plastics
    8. Spot Shot for interior stains
    9. Turtle Wax Black box for my black vehicle and Plain Turtle Wax on the others.

I`m open to trying any products. Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have chosen some good products. Some of the OTC products have really stepped up their game and sneak into many pro arsenals. There is always room for a good product that can be picked up locally. My only nit pick is, personally I am not a fan of Armor All. I do like the F21 interior protectant. 303 is my protectant of choice currently.

Keep in mind you can spend a lot of money switching to products other people like. I know I have. In some cases I have gone back to what I like.

Menzerna polishes
    Meguiars UC and UP
    Blackfire Sealant
    Collinite Wax
    Klasse AIO
    No Touch Tire Care
    Stoner Invisible Glass
    303 Protectant
    303 Int cleaner
    Meg Degreaser

There are others but you have a good mix. If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it. Just my .02
    I hear voices in my mind and youre worried that youre the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is 303 OTC? I`ve never heard of it before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdg0830 View Post
    Is 303 OTC? I`ve never heard of it before.
    I have seen their line at RV stores but it is cheaper at online vendors such as http://www.properautocare.com/Default.aspx
    I hear voices in my mind and youre worried that youre the freak.

antaleskemits

uggs

You made a few nice points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found most persons will go along with with truthindetailing.com. ugg

Post Thanks / Like
    I was using back to black last year, and liked it a lot at first, then it rained. And then it streaked down the side of my black Accord, which I wasn`t too happy about. Now I`m using Chemical Guys VRT dressing, and have not found it to run at all. Same deal with Armorall products. I liked them a lot when I hadn`t tried anything else, but now I know better. Although, like was said, a lot of the OTC stuff is getting a lot better. For example, I picked up some Armorall tire shine gel this weekend, and that stuff seems to work great. No running, or slinging, and you can put on as much as you want to get the level of shine you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are looking for some really good OTC products, try Surf City Garage. You can find them in Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and others retail chains. I love their Back to Black tire dressing. If you are open to other products that are not OTC, look no further then the PAC site, and this forum.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Things View Post
    I was using back to black last year, and liked it a lot at first, then it rained. And then it streaked down the side of my black Accord, which I wasn`t too happy about. Now I`m using Chemical Guys VRT dressing, and have not found it to run at all. Same deal with Armorall products. I liked them a lot when I hadn`t tried anything else, but now I know better. Although, like was said, a lot of the OTC stuff is getting a lot better. For example, I picked up some Armorall tire shine gel this weekend, and that stuff seems to work great. No running, or slinging, and you can put on as much as you want to get the level of shine you want.
    Is Chemical Guys VRT dressing sold OTC? It sounds like what I need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information