Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    by David W. Bynon

<font size="1">CopyrightÂ, 1999-2002, Autopia Car Care -- All Rights Reserved</font>

The modern Roadster is a masterpiece of beauty, performance, and superior engineering. We own these wonderful machines because they warm our soul. Like you, my blood stirs each time I twist the key and the engine comes to life. Top down, sun on my back, wind in my face, eating up the road. Could anything be better?

Unlike a coupe or sedan, the Roadster has special requirements. Where the Roadster’s fully enclosed brethren sport steel and glass, the Roadster has canvas and clear vinyl. This simple difference creates a myriad of challenges for the Roadster owner.

ROADSTER MATERIALS

The first thing to understand about your Roadster`s top is its materials. Without this understanding, it`s hard to appreciate the maintenance requirements. Modern roadsters have tops. The material is a very durable polyacrylic/polyester canvas. The fabric-like texture feels nice and looks great. The fabric has a tight weave, but it breathes. Unlike the vinyl based tops, your Roadster’s canvas top is not waterproof. It is only water-resistant. What makes your top waterproof is a protective spray. Without protection, your Roadster’s top is susceptible to leaking and stains.

The rear window on your Roadster is special, too. Made of a clear vinyl so it can fold, your Roadster’s rear window will absorb a wide range of gasses and liquids, including water, acids and hydrocarbons. Because it has the ability to absorb foreign materials, it will yellow over time if it is not properly maintained. Most often, the yellowing and discoloration is a result of ultraviolet (UV) light crosslinking. The vinyl is not directly affected by the sun’s UV rays, but what it absorbs can be.

HARMFUL AGENTS

Common cleaning products can be very harmful to your Roadster’s top. Chemicals you should not use on or near your top include:

1. Ammonia

2. Bleach

3. Detergent

4. Alcohol

5. Vinegar

Detergents, bleach and harsh acids will quickly deteriorate the canvas, whereas ammonia and alcohol will dry and cloud the vinyl. Take my word for it, you don’t want to know what it will cost to replace your Roadster’s top. It makes for a really, really bad day. So please, know the chemicals you use before you apply them to your top.

EXTERIOR TOP CLEANING

Your Roadster’s top is subjected to the same environmental conditions as the rest of your car. However, where it is easy to see when your Roadster’s curvaceous body is dusty and dirty, it is not always easy to see when your top is dirty, especially if it’s black or navy blue.

One of the biggest factors in top wear is dust in the canvas. Dust settles into the weave of the fabric and begins to act like sandpaper. In general, you should care for your top’s canvas each time you wash your Roadster. This does not mean you need to scrub it each time, but a good stiff rinsing is necessary. The following steps are recommended:

1. Wash your Roadster’s top at least once a month (or when it is dusty or dirty) with a non-detergent based auto shampoo. If your top is not dirty, rinse it thoroughly with plenty of cool water. Make sure the shampoo you use does not contain gloss-enhancing oils. If the shampoo contains oils, the canvas will absorb the oil and become a dust magnet. Recommended products include Porsche Tequipment Convertible Top Cleaner or Autosol Shampoo. Use approximately .25 to .50 ounces of wash shampoo to three gallons of water. If the top is extremely dirty, use .75 ounces to three gallons of water.

2. The recommended tool for washing is a tight-cell sponge. Do not use a cloth, chenille covered sponge, or lambs wool mitt, as they will leave lint. If your Roadster’s top has soil marks, stains, or bird droppings, use a small, stiff, natural fiber scrub brush. If you can rub the brush across the back of your hand without scratching your skin, it’s safe to use on your canvas top. Do not use a scrub brush on the vinyl window. It will scratch. Make sure you rinse the top thoroughly with a stiff stream of water to remove all of the shampoo and dirt.

3. Dry your canvas top and vinyl window using a synthetic chamois. Get the chamois wet and wring it out. Fold it into a square. Start in the middle of the top and pull the chamois toward you across the canvas. Do not try to wipe the chamois back and forth. It won’t work. Use the synthetic chamois to dry the vinyl window, too. You may find it works best if the chamois has just a little water in it (don’t wring it out all the way). Do not use a terrycloth towel or diaper to dry your top. They will leave lint.

STUBBORN STAINS

Sooner or later, your top will be inflicted with a stain that will not come out with regular shampoo. Common stains will include bird droppings, tree sap, and grease. For these occasions, you will need to use a citrus based cleaner that can penetrate the fibers and release the foreign matter.

Your first inclination will be to scrub the stain with the regular shampoo. DON’T! All you will do is spread it around. To remove stains from your top use Amazing Roll-Off in full concentration. Spray it liberally on the stain before washing the whole top. Let it soak in, but don’t let it dry. After it has soaked for 3-5 minutes, rinse your top and wash as normal. Rinse the stain area with a stiff stream of water. Do not spray Amazing Roll-Off on the vinyl window. It does not like acids.

WINDOW CLEANING

If your Roadster is new, no doubt you have experienced the frustration of polyvinyl fog. Polyvinyl fog is created by the evaporation of plasticizers (an oily hydrocarbon) and other oils. Plasticizers are used in the manufacturing of vinyl to keep it flexible. They are also used in many car care conditioners to rejuvenate vinyl and plastic. Plasticizers remain liquid, and evaporate with the heat of the sun. This off-gassing is worst with new cars, and gradually decreases to a manageable level. Severe off-gassing can also be caused by using too much dressing on your dashboard.

The best tool to clean your Roadster’s vinyl window is the synthetic chamois. Do not use a paper towel, as it can scratch the vinyl. It is best to detail the window (inside and out) after washing the car. Follow these steps:

1. Rinse the chamois thoroughly with water to ensure it is clean. Wring out most of the water, but leave damp. If the chamois it too dry, it will not slide across the window.

2. Fold the chamois into a square.

3. Wipe the chamois in one direction across the window. Turn the chamois, using a clean side with every-other pass.

4. To clean the inside of the rear window, kneel in the passenger seat. It may take you a few times to learn the best way. The taller you are, the more difficult it will be.

PROTECTING THE TOP

As mentioned earlier, the canvas top is not waterproof. To make it waterproof and stain resistant, it is necessary to treat it with a Scotchgard℠based spray. I recommend Porsche Tequipment Convertible Top Conditioner or 303 Fabric Protectant. While other products will work, including BMW’s top protectant, nothing lasts as long as Porsche Tequipment or 303 High Tech Fabric Guard (I know, I`ve tested!).

Before spraying your Roadster’s top with protectant, it must be clean and dry. Use a scrub brush and a full .75 ounce dose of top shampoo to deep clean the top. Using the Top Protectant is best done in conjunction with waxing. Your pre-wax cleaner or polish will remove the protectant over-spray. Follow these instructions:

1. Mask completely around your top and vinyl window with newspaper. Once dry, the over-spray from the protectant is difficult to remove from paint, vinyl and glass. Lift the top slightly and slip newspaper between the top and windshield frame. Do the same between the top and side windows. Use masking tape and newspaper to mask the areas where the top and rear panels meet. Use masking tape and newspaper again to completely mask the rear window (do not leave any vinyl showing).

2. Shake the Top Protectant for 30 to 60 seconds.

3. Spray two light coats from about 7 to 9 inches on the whole top. Start in the center on one side and work towards you in even, back and forth sprays, releasing your finger at the end of each pass. Repeat on the other side. Spray a third light coat on the seams.

4. Remove masking materials.

5. Check for over-spray on paint. Remove over-spray with pre-wax cleaner or polish.

PROTECTING & POLISHING THE REAR WINDOW

Your Roadster’s rear window is fairly delicate. It can be easily scratched with little more than normal use or the wrong cleaning tool. Be sure that any rags you use on your Roadster’s rear window are pure cotton. If you use diapers, don’t use it on vinyl. Almost all diapers use polyester thread, which will severely scratch the vinyl window. To protect and beautify your Roadster’s window, it must be polished. I recommend Plexus for regular use. Although there are numerous plastic polishes and compounds that work, Plexus is quick and easy. For this reason, you are more likely to use it than a polish that takes a lot of time.

To apply Plexus, use a plush, terrycloth detailing towel or an old cotton tee shirt. Follow these simple directions:

1. Fold your towel into a square.

2. Spray a moderate amount of Plexus on the towel, not directly on the window.

3. Work the Plexus into the Vinyl, and allow it to dry for 3-5 minutes.

4. Turn the towel to a dry side and buff the window until clear.

5. If small scratches remain, apply a second coat. If your window has heavy scratches, I recommend the use of Meguiar’s Plastic Polish followed by Plexus.

It is not necessary to use Plexus with every wash, although many people do. If you’re careful with your window, you may find that every other wash, or every third wash is fine. You cannot over use Plexus. So, don’t be concerned about using it as your everyday cleaner if you drive in a harsh environment.

OTHER TIPS & HINTS

Proper car of your Roadster`s top goes beyond regular maintenance. You can also extend its life and beauty by providing a little extra care when lowering and raising your top.

While the engineers have done a wonderful job designing a top that folds into a small space, the canvas and vinyl window do not always fold flat. It is best to lower the top half way, then smooth the canvas and vinyl to ensure it does not bunch, gather, or buckle.

One of the worst enemies of your Roadster`s top is itself. When lowered, your vinyl window is in contact with itself. As you drive, road vibrations cause the top to rub on itself. Over time, this will begin to leave scratches and other marks on the window. To prevent this, you can use a small piece of fleece of soft cotton (not terrycloth) to protect the window. As you lower your top, after smoothing the wrinkles, lay the fleece across the window.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just searched for this - you might wanna update this article with more modern techniques like using microfiber?

Post Thanks / Like

Marauder Correction (Red this time)

Ok so I have another Marauder here. Mike (the client) was referred to me by Steve the owner of the Black Marauder I did last week.

This Marauder was red with some minor swirling and just normal wear and tear of life. Upon inspection the top surfaces were in much rougher shape than the sides due to water etching so I decided to go with a 2 step on the top surfaces and a 1 step was sufficient for the sides.

Products:
    Flex 3401
    D300 w/ MF cutting disc (Hood)
    Uber Orange w/ Gtechniq P1 (Top of trunk and roof)
    Uber Green w/ Menz 203 (Whole Car)
    Seal w/ Blackfire Wet Diamond
    Wax w/ Nattys Red

My process was:
    Wash and foam with OPC
    Wash with a mix of Dawn and Car wash soap
    Dry with Guzzler and Leaf Blower
    Polish paint (See above)
    Dress tires with DP

On to the Pics

The Wash Process

Taped Up

Befores:

50/50

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like
    Now some Afters

Now some sun shots

Thanks for looking! All questions, comments, and criticisms are welcome

Jon

Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work!

The paint looks hard on that car, am I going crazy or does it seem you can tell how hard paint is just by the level of defects in it and the flake concentration?

Maybe I am crazy but that looks like a hard clear car... was it?
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like
    You know the only place I have seen a Marauder is on a detailing forum. Where are these people driving them?

Nice work, car looks great. That`s a ton of sheet metal to polish.
    I hear voices in my mind and youre worried that youre the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Dreams View Post
    Great work!

The paint looks hard on that car, am I going crazy or does it seem you can tell how hard paint is just by the level of defects in it and the flake concentration?

Maybe I am crazy but that looks like a hard clear car... was it?
    Thanks Dave, She was actually pretty nice to work on. I would say medium, not super soft where if you looked at her funny she swirled, but not hard like Mercedes or corvettes. 1-10 1 being soft, 10 being hard, I would put her at 6-7ish.

Quote Originally Posted by biolink View Post
    You know the only place I have seen a Marauder is on a detailing forum. Where are these people driving them?

Nice work, car looks great. That`s a ton of sheet metal to polish.
    Thank you. They sure are large. I had never seen one in person either and now I have had two in my garage in less than a weeks time. They barely fit in the garage.

Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

every panel of that car is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!
    good job!!!!!
    :wizard:

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful job on that beast Jon. How long did it take you. It is just so darn big. Excellent work.
    btw, I haven`t seen you around much lately, I hope all is well.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. I like the color.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by biolink View Post
    When I was searching for a Grand Marquis for a potential buyer I ran across Marauders... I don`t think they made a whole lot of them. Seems to be a bit of a niche car with a small but loyal following.

Nice work on the detail!

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I like the color.

:iagree:

Awesome job Jon

Trouble :-B

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    When I was searching for a Grand Marquis for a potential buyer I ran across Marauders... I don`t think they made a whole lot of them. Seems to be a bit of a niche car with a small but loyal following.

Nice work on the detail!

TL
    The used cop cars use the same drivetrain and chassis. You can pick one up at auction for $300. They all just look like crap though

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by juliom2 View Post
    every panel of that car is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!
    good job!!!!!
    :wizard:
    Thank you! Those cars really are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    Beautiful job on that beast Jon. How long did it take you. It is just so darn big. Excellent work.
    btw, I haven`t seen you around much lately, I hope all is well.
    Thank you Barry! I have been good, Im not posting as much just because Ive been so busy but I still drop in on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Nice. I like the color.
    It really is a nice color, I see why the owner chose it.

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post

Nice work on the detail!

TL
    Ya I think they are pretty limited and I do think they have some pretty loyal followers. Out of the two I met/detailed for they definitely know their stuff regarding the car. Thanks for the compliments TL!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    :iagree:

Awesome job Jon

Thanks Trouble!

Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    The used cop cars use the same drivetrain and chassis. You can pick one up at auction for $300. They all just look like crap though

Nope! The PI(Police Interceptor)is an iron block with 2 valves per cylinder and 1 cam per bank. Not much different from a standard Crown Vic or Grand Marquis with the exception of dual exhaust, 3:55 posi rear gear and slight intake changes. About 235hp at the crank. The Marauder is a 32 valve all aluminum motor with 2 cams per bank similar to the 2003-2004 Mach 1 and 302hp at the crank, 3:55 posi and rear air bag suspension.

I`m on my second Marauder, the first was my DD for years and I sold it with 144k and she`s still running strong for the new owner. My latest, and last, is supercharged and put down 449.8 rwhp on the dyno last week, that`s close to 525 at the crank. All on the stock block, heads and cams. Best vehicles I have ever owned in 50 years of driving! Production was 11052 for 2003-2004 Marauders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information