Post Thanks / Like
    After applying Zaino what is the best product for removing tar, bugs and such? After using the removal product what additional Zaino product(s) do you apply to the affected area if any?
    2002 Topaz Blue BMW M3

Post Thanks / Like
    Well for bugs and sap, I would use a clay bar and then re-apply Zaino to the treated area.

For tar you can use clay but it will ruin the bar really fast. I use Tarminators for stuff like that crud.

Post Thanks / Like
    That nothing sticks to zaino if removed quickly. Z7 wash is a very effective wash and should remove fresh bug guts and minor tar. For more stubborn spots u can use 2 capfulls of Z7 in a spray bottle and try that, or use clay and then rezaino the panel.

Post Thanks / Like

My Teaser (not a car)

I mentioned in another thread that I had a chance to visit mom in OK a few weeks ago. I detailed a few cars, fixed a few things around mom`s house, but most importantly brought home a family treasure (which unfortunately took some abuse in the hot humid OK summers).

This is a circa 1960 Health O Meter professional scale that my dad had in his medical practice until he passed away in 1969. Of all the odd things for my mom to hold onto, she kept this for more than 40 years. It was in much better shape until 2003 when she moved from AZ to OK. Well now I have it and I have big plans. I already have the structure of the scale at a shop being blasted and powder coated. I have also contacted a trophy company to reproduce the plaque on the base. I can`t get a new one because they stopped using the plaque in the early 1990`s. Yes, I already called the company. I will clean the rest the best I can and put it all back together at a cost that will most likely come close to a new one. But that is not the point. I love this scale and don`t want a new one. I have been busting at the seems to do this restoration and can`t wait to put it back together. I will post after pics when I get the pieces back next week.

To make sure this fits in a detailing forum, I will use a few products from the detailing bag to shine her up.

I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    sub`d. This thread is going to be like American Restoration! (But the results better be better because when you look closely at those guys work it is pretty hacked up.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    sub`d. This thread is going to be like American Restoration! (But the results better be better because when you look closely at those guys work it is pretty hacked up.)
    When I dropped it off he blasted a sample of the base and the results were pretty amazing. The tower is a different story. The metal is thinner and it may need to be dipped to strip the paint vs blasting.

It`s time to dust off the Dremel and the tool and wire brush for parts of this. Some of the inner parts have a coating of rust. Even though you can`t see them, the rust needs to go. I will do my best not to hack this one........

Post Thanks / Like
    a cool restoration project with sentimental value.... look forward to the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool! can`t wait to see more
    Jeff
    Immaculate Reflections Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

thats very nice..............

:wizard:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    (But the results better be better because when you look closely at those guys work it is pretty hacked up.)
    Todd, I think you may have jinxed me. I picked up the pieces from the coating shop and the results were, well let`s just say, below average. The base of the scale has metal shaving in the coating that must be fallout from the rest of the shop. The pedestal has a nick on one side where it must have been knocked into something. The tower has contaminants from the gun in the tan coating. I noticed some of these flaws at the shop and talked them over with the owner. I was hoping they would clean up when I got home, so I agreed to his offer of a $30 discount. Well they didn`t clean up, in fact it looks like sh*t. I don`t really want to go back to a shop that (that obviously is dirty) caused the issues because who`s to say they won`t make it worse trying to fix it. So here is what I did, I called another shop and discussed the issues and what could be done to fix them. The person I talked to seemed very knowledgeable and gave me more confidence. Long story short, I am visiting this new shop today to get an estimate on cleaning these pieces up. :banghead:

When I asked for a powder coater, the wheel shop I went to gave me two numbers. I went to the first one I called. When they answered the phone they said a different name than a company I thought I was calling. When I asked about this they said they adopted the number of an old business. So in fact this is not the shop that was recommended. I should have moved on. Well here is hoping the pieces can be cleaned up.

Just for giggles I reassembled the scale last night. Works like a charm. If I can just get the pieces cleaned up it will look really cool.

Pics to come soon, I hope.

Thread Information