Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have both 3M SMR and Meguiars 2.0 and I intend on going to battle with every single swirl on my black Mustang in April. It is not that my car has ever been though a auto-wash, or that I have been abusive to its clear, but I believe that you just cannot help but have some visible marring, and light swirls on a black everyday use car. I was just looking for some opinions on whether 3M Perfect-It II with a PC 7424 will remove the majority of these minor imperfections, and is this product to agressive. I intend on using 3M SMR after the Perfect-It, but I am contemplating using the 2.0. Any dark car owners out there used this combo? How were the results?

I have used both 3M SMR and Meguiars 2.0 with the 7424, and I found that although they both remove much of the surface swirls there are still some visible in certain lighting.

P.S. I am also going to break down and buy Souveran to apply after this treatment. Wish me luck !
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Black car owner here.

Check out Back to Black

I used finesse-IT II finishing compound, then SMR. Last time I used the FI-II I actually ghot a ready to wax shine with NO SMR - just by working it more and more and more - the abrasives in these 3M products (and the meguiar`s ones you mentioned) continue to break down and turn into super-fine polishing compounds. It is all technique.

i realized after i started to write this you said "perfect-it II" - I`m not sure what that is - but if it is like 3M`s other lines you need to be more specific in the name = there are multiple products in the perfect-it and finesse-it lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    At Pepboys today. Sorry for the confusion, I haven`t tried any other 3M products other than SMR. Thanks for the link to that thread !!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Perfect-it II Fine Scratch Rubbing Compound (which is the one at Pep Boy`s), and as far as rubbing compounds go, it`s not too bad for a clear coat. I used it with the PC and a wool pad to bring back a VERY oxidized non-clear coated car. I may use it on my own 10 year old car come spring time, but I will probably stick with Finesse-it II and then Meg`s #9 SR 2.0 (or 3M SMR, but I like the #9), which is what I would reccomend for most swirl jobs. Sure, you can use the PI-II, but if I were in your situation, I would more than likely stick with safer FI-II and then SMR or #9 2.0.

And by the way, it is probably best to follow up with the FI-II and SMR after PI-II. That`s a lot of detailing!
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can I get Finesse-It II. I could not find it on CMA or Autogeek. I am trying to find it on the 3M website and I am having no luck !
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw it at Salvo and here...if you do a Googles search im sure theres more
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...html?E+scstore

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the links JeffBruce !!! :up
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    In my area, there are certain cities where there seem to be a large collection of automotive shops, including body and paint shops. In the same area are paint stores that cater to these guys. This is where I get the pro line of meguiars and 3M products. (If you`re in the S.F. bay Area, it is San Carlos Paint on Industrial Blvd. in San Carlos.

Post Thanks / Like
    I printed out Back to Black and I plan on using it as a users guide while working on my black paint. I hope I see the same results that you had! I am detailing (2) Black MB S-Classes this April (a 98 and a 00) and both have been though some very unforgiving New York City automatic carwashes. I will break out the digicam for the results! Thanks ! :up
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Clean Dean [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I printed out Back to Black and I plan on using it as a users guide while working on my black paint. I hope I see the same results that you had! I am detailing (2) Black MB S-Classes this April (a 98 and a 00) and both have been though some very unforgiving New York City automatic carwashes. I will break out the digicam for the results! Thanks ! :up [/b]</blockquote>
    I did the same thing a few months ago when I needed to get rid of the swirls on my black car.

By the way, I bought FI-II at a local body shop. I went to the 3M website and typed in my area code to find the authorized 3M sellers. I got the results and made a phone call to the closest one, and minutes later I was on my way to a body shop to pick up my huge bottle (one quart??) of FI-II for $23.
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    Local auto parts store has the entire 3M line. Can`t wait to wage war on those nasty swirls !!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like

Mercedes CLK 200: Exterior Correction and Interior Protection

The car has obviously been polished by the dealer as the paintwork was slick and looking pretty glossy upon arrival! Looks can be deceiving, let?s wash the car first and we shall see.

Upon arrival,

First up were the wheels, wheel well and tires. These were all cleaned with Osren Multi-Clean and their new product, Degreaser FX.

Bodywork is washed with Osren Bubble and Wax shampoo and smoothened with Osren Magic Clay Cloth. After rinsing, the whole car is given a once over with Carmate KK128 Iron Remover Shampoo, couldn?t see any iron particles being dissolved though, just an extra step.

With the paint squeaky clean and make up removed, we can now see how her bare face looks like. Some general condition of the paint, the bonnet and rear boot were most severe.

Paintwork Correction Process:

1) Compound with Meguiar?s #105 Ultra-Cut Compound / Lake Country 4-ply twisted wool pad / Rotary @ 1200~1500 RPM

2) Polish with Meguiar?s #105 Ultra-Cut Compound / Lake Country Cutting Pad / Rotary @ 1200~1500 RPM

3) Polish with Meguiar?s #105 Ultra-Cut Compound / Meguiar?s W-8006 Polishing Pad / Dodo Juice DA @ Speed 5

4) Finish with G|Techniq P1 Nanoscopic Polish / Meguiar?s W-8006 Polishing Pad / Dodo Juice DA @ Speed 5

?Before? and ?After? photos below:

After correcting the paint, all the masking tape were removed, car is rinsed down to remove all polishing dust, re-washed with shampoo and dried off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Protection Stage:

1) Duragloss #601 Polish Bonding Agent / Microfibre Pad / Hand Application @ 25 RPM

2) Duragloss #105 Total Performance Polish / Lake Country CCS Black Finishing Pad / Dodo Juice DA @ Speed 2

3) G|Techniq C2 Liquid Crystal wipe-down prior to collection.

While the sealant was drying, I tend to the interior. It was previously detailed on a previous date, so just some touch up needed.

Interior Process:

1) Cabin vacuumed
    2) Mats vacuumed and re-applied with G|Techniq I1 Smart Fabric
    3) Leather seats re-applied with G|Techniq L1 Leather Guard
    4) Glass wiped down with damp waffle weave microfiber.

Rim Protection:

1) G|Techniq P1 Nanoscopic Polish / Foam Applicator / Hand Application @ 15 RPM

2) G|Techniq C5 Wheel Armour

With the interior settled, the sealant is wiped off and the paint said ?Who?s got bling? Me!?

As you will see in the photos, there were quite a lot of Random Isolated Deep Scratches (RIDS) that weren?t fully removed.

Tires dressed with ArmorAll Original.

Let?s get photographfunky!

Thanks for looking!!:smile:

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Exellent work! However; I thought Armor All was the worst possible product for a tire dressing. It`s not water based and discolors the tires and yellows whitewalls. What made you choose Armor All? Awesome job though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information