Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I did the same type of thing recently with MGC, Blitz, Eagle One Pure and couldn`t tell a difference.

I think a better test would be to do half the hood and 1 front fender with each product. The curvature of the fender makes it easier to tell differences between products. [/b]</blockquote>
    If they aren`t showing any difference by this weekend, then I`ll get the fenders ready for some waxing.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I buffed the second coats off both sides at 6 o`clock. I could see a slight difference. The Gold Class Sides seems to be slightly darker.

I then pulled off the tape and you can really see it well. Now I have GC on one side with a no wax strip down the center and Klasse on the right. There is a big difference between the no wax and the GC. There is just a slight difference between the no wax and the SG side. I`ll take pics tomorrow after I take the third coat off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still not a large difference. I took some pictures today but didn`t get around to looking at them until 8 o`clock so it was already dark. I pulled them up and boy are they bad! Sun streaks across the camera lense and crap from my tree was on the hood.

I`m going to throw the camera in the truck and stop off in a parking lot tomorrow and get some pics at difference angles to see if I can get some better shots.

I may end up having to take puterbum`s advice and buff the fenders out and start applying wax to them.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that we should do hood tests with wax applied in horizontal sections. When I applied wax to half my hood, it was difficult to compare clarity from moving my perspective from side to side because it meant I was looking at different reflections. While if you just move your head up and down it focuses on the same reflection. Just my thoughts...
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a tree

Post Thanks / Like
    In all my `testing" I`ve found it AMAZINGLY hard to get the subtle differences between products to show up on camera. The hood looked really great to start - you clearly did your prep work. But, for example, although I can see that the Souveran gives me more of a "wet look" or "depth" than the Gold Class (which I do think gives an outstanding look) - there is no way you can see it in a photo, or looking at the surface up close. It is a subtle thing you notice standing back from the car. Can`t explain it better than that.

So I`ll enjoy seeing more photos, but I really want to hear what you have to SAY.

Just for yucks, stop some strangers or call some friends over and ask them what they think about both sides. Don`t prejudice them by telling them which is which - ask them if they can see a difference, and ask them to describe it if they can, and finally to pick which they like the best. I did this when I did the Zaino test. The results were amusing and informative - and they guarantee we`re getting our own prejudices out of the picture. When the differences are this subtle I think it is easy to "see what you want to see" to some extent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carguy, actually that does not guarantee anything. You should know better than that!

Intel, it`s going to be very difficult to notice anything more than subtle differences in the INITIAL shine between GC and Klasse, let alone be able to pick it up on camera, IMO. This will be especially true since the entire panel was prepped in the same manner. I`m not sure what your plans are for the test, but do they include any comparisons after a few weeks? (Klasse`s shine, like Zaino`s, improves over time while GC`s declines)

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by carguy [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Just for yucks, stop some strangers or call some friends over and ask them what they think about both sides. [/b]</blockquote>
    And for more yucks, do your trunk with just one wax, and ask them which side of the trunk looks better. If they say there`s a difference, you can throw away their opinions about the hood too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trunk??? you mean tailgate right

Post Thanks / Like
    Carguy, I`m having a pain getting a picture of the hood. I just tried to take a picture but the sun makes there be sunstreaks across the camera lense. I`m going to head out about noon tomorrow when the sun is high to get a picture. Might be hard since I could be parked in a garage...

Right now I`m going to say that Gold Class is kicking Klasse SG`s butt. Gold Class looks darker and wetter than SG. SG hardly looks any different that a non-waxed section. You have to observe it from several angles before a difference can be seen. I`ll be washing it tomorrow so maybe the first wash might do something.

I`m thinking about doing the bedcover, maybe... That`ll be a pain though since it gets dirty sooo fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not at all surprised that the SG looks better. Many people (myself included) have perceived a quality associated with all the polymers - Klasse, Zaino, others - that the finish is "shiny", "metallic", "plasticky" - compared to the carnauba-based stuff, and Gold Class - usually described as "deep" and "wet". I would be hard pressed to explain in any sort of technical terms how these are different, or why - but it seems to be true.

As for polymers on black - I acknowledge that polymers have more longevity. But from where I sit, longevity is a <strong class=`bbc`>non-issue[/b] unless you don`t intend to wash the car often, or don`t care how it looks. In my case, despite my best intentions, I am going to go to work on swirls on my car long before ANY wax protection is gone. Further, I enjoy putting Souveran on SO MUCH - I`m doing it after almost every wash - it takes so little time, it is a pleasant experience, and it looks so good. I am interested to see how Klasse holds up on my M5`s hood - and I will almost certainly put some on my wife`s silver Audi if I ever detail it. But to me, it is a waste of energy on the black car.

Post Thanks / Like

<strong class=`bbc`>In my case, despite my best intentions, I am going to go to work on swirls on my car long before ANY wax protection is gone.[/b]</blockquote>. . . just how often do you polish your car? And where do all of these swirls come from every few weeks?

Post Thanks / Like

<strong class=`bbc`>I am not at all surprised that the SG looks better.

As for polymers on black [/b]</blockquote>
    I said GC looks better

And my truck is blue, not black.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Carguy 100%. Get friends to take a look, and remember, the camera doesn`t always show what you really see in person. Also, it`s easier to notice differences when looking at a car as a whole, not up close and 6 inches away. Any given car in the right light can show mirror-like reflection from a foot away. Gold Class gives an awesome shine, and it improves with another layer. IMO, it looks better after a week, and it looks great after the first wash. After that, though, the shine starts to fade. Klasse looks best when layered 3 times.

Just out of curiosity, if a car had, say, 5 layers of Klasse SG, how much of it would be eaten away if you topped with Gold Class? According to the Meguiar`s rep. that e-mailed me a while ago, the GC doesn`t actually contain abrasives, but it contains some mild "polishes" (which in Meguiar`s terms meens gloss-enhancers). So I have to wonder if GC could be effectively topped on Klasse SG without stripping too much, or even any of the SG. Any ideas?
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Chuckmotor [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I agree with Carguy 100%. Get friends to take a look, and remember, the camera doesn`t always show what you really see in person. Also, it`s easier to notice differences when looking at a car as a whole, not up close and 6 inches away. Any given car in the right light can show mirror-like reflection from a foot away. Gold Class gives an awesome shine, and it improves with another layer. IMO, it looks better after a week, and it looks great after the first wash. After that, though, the shine starts to fade. Klasse looks best when layered 3 times.
    [/b]</blockquote>
    I`ve already had two people look at it. Both agree the Gold Class Side looks better. I`ll try to grab a few more people tomorrow and maybe even ask the mailman

I`ve discovered something really bad about having my hood polished really well like this.

The sun reflects off my hood and into my eyes when I`m driving in the morning!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information