Tea: 5.3

Lemon Juice: 3.0

My point?? Drink diet coke.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by bjwebster [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Its supposed to be funny...hahaha
    Not to be taken so seriously:xyxthumbs [/b]</blockquote>
    Unfortunately, many people actually believe that state troopers keep coke in their trunk to clean blood off of roads. So, I agree it is not to be taken seriously. The sad thing is many people do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mineral Water is 3.0? Is that sparkling or plain?

What is your source Intermezzo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, I meant to write 6.0. (sparkling)

Post Thanks / Like
    SCARED the tar out of me Intermezzo!

Must have a bunch of minerals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm... Coke seems pretty dangerous!

Fine, I won`t use it to clean my wheels!! But I`ll still drink it! It`s not good enough for my car but it`s fine for me!
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    I just add Ice to my Coke to "even-Out" that PH and Rum to kill any nasty germs...

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually the pH of coke is very acidic. However, the pH of stomach acid is even lower (assuming Coke`s pH is around 3). Ever get indigestion? The burning is stomach acid in your esphagus. The body has wonderful mechanisms to prevent harsh acids from eating away at your internal lining. However if you injest too much coke in a certain amount of time I am sure it will have an effect. On of the reasons why you run the risk of getting ulcers from taking aspirin is because it inhibits enzmes that produce substances that are protective to the GI tract against acid.

Tom

94 VW Corrado

86 Jetta coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    hehe Figz..you are preaching to the choir here. I have my doctorate in pharmacy and understand your points.

Gastric pH normally ranges between 1.0 and 3.0, depending on a multitude of conditions. Esophageal pH is approximately 5.0 and does not fluctuate much. Ingesting drinks or food with pHs much lower than that will elicit a VERY uncomfortable feeling. That, and if you start eating foods/drinks with pH`s approximately equivalent or lower than gastric pH, you will not be able to break the foodstuffs down very well.

And, to clarify, inhibiting a cyclooxygenase enzyme is NOT the only way aspirin may contribute to ulcers..it has a direct irritant effect based upon its pH. Aspirin is nothing more than a name for acetylsalicylic <strong class=`bbc`>acid[/b].

Can you say off-topic? Sorry guys, I`ll end the random banter now

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that it matters, but does anyone know the PH of Coors Light???? Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    I mixed coke with the BF paint protectant, and it brought the pH down into the neutral range. I applied it to my hood as an experiment. The slickness now remains even after repeated washings! The only problem is that in stead of beading, I get fizzy bubbles when it rains...

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually COX inhibition is why you get ulcers with aspirin (thus the COXII inhibitors). The acidity of aspirin will just serve to aggravate the situation and is purely secondary to the COX inhibition. The mechanism of action and side effects of this compound is through COX inhibition. That being said eating anything highly acidic after aspirin would also aggravate the situation. Last I looked choir was more than one person by the way Yeah, I`m working on my doctorate in neuropharmacology and just finished studying the mechanisms of action of NSAIDS. Sorry to rehash this off-topic discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Figz [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Actually COX inhibition is why you get ulcers with aspirin (thus the COXII inhibitors). The acidity of aspirin will just serve to aggravate the situation and is purely secondary to the COX inhibition. [/b]</blockquote>

You just agreed with what I said. I simply said that COX inhibition is NOT the only way that aspirin may contribute to an ulcer. Trust me, there have been numerous cases of patients taking highly acidic drugs that dont drink enough water or lie down immediately after ingesting it. It isnt uncommon for them to develop an esophageal ulcer.

Yeah, I`m working on my doctorate in neuropharmacology and just finished studying the mechanisms of action of NSAIDS. Sorry to rehash this off-topic discussion.</blockquote>
    Best of luck to you. I unfortunately get to study the effects of NSAIDs nonstop since I work closely with Pharmacia on Celebrex and TAP on Prevacid. I just can`t shutup!

Post Thanks / Like
    So am I to understand that you work in industry? If so, how do you like it. I am currently having that internal battle between academia and industry and am always looking for people`s impression between the two.

It is funny that you mention that you work so closely with NSAIDS. Maybe you can answer a question for me. In class we had to debate whether or not COXIIi`s are better than plain old aspirin for treating something like arthritis. It seems that COXIIi`s are definitely better due to their seemingly small side effects. However, it was mentioned that COXIIi`s have only been around for such a short time we don`t know precisely any of the long term effects of these drugs. The PDR mentions very little with regard to side effects or even contraindications. In you experience, is their any evidence that the COXIIi`s have any serious detrimental side effects that differ from aspirin, or any effects that manifest after long term administration?

I never thought I would be talking about science on a detailing forum! I guess you can learn all kinds of things here:xyxthumbs

Tom

94 VW Corrado SLC

86 Jetta coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell you that Cox II`s aren`t necessarily all that they are cracked up to be. I had stomach surgery about 6 years ago to correct hiatal hernia with severe esophageal reflux. I also had been taking Motrin 800 mg four times a day for arthritis. Motrin is a great anti-inflammatory drug however it tends to irritate the stomach lining. I tried both Celebrex and Vioxx, but could only tolerate them for a few days before getting the same (or worse) symptoms of gastric and/or esophageal irritation.

I vaguely remember reading a recent report on long term use of Cox II`s as causing some problems. Can`t remember exactly what it was. I will try to find the article.....

I still pop a Motrin 800 now and then (especially after laying on 3 coats of Zaino or BFX in a day). I find that Motrin is much better for acute pain than Celebrex or Vioxx. It`s onset is much quicker also. Believe it or not, Motrin 800 is as good (or better) for pain as Codeine. It has also been shown that people who have taken NSAID`s over long periods of time have lower incidence of GI cancer due to its anti-inflammatory effect. They also serve as blood thinners and thus can benefit the cardio-vascular system.

H

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information