Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Dave N :up
    Fmr Nascar,Arca & USAC driver

96 Mitsu GST
    02 Vette Z06
    03 S2000

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    who ever said it above (I`m lazy ) yes you should test the chemicals in the concentration you use them in. Testing the pH of pure Dawn wouldn`t be correct for example. But testing the bucket water would be more fair.

As for BF polish, it is applied full strength so the testing is valid at full strength.

One thing, you did calibrate your pH meter didn`t you? They can be extremely finiky.

More thoughts to add to the pot, cola has a pH of like 2.5 and hydrogen peroxide (OTC) has a pH of like 3.5. Cola in your eye won`t harm it much but hydrogen peroxide will. So determining harshness is substrate specific rather than black and white pH reading.

I also looked up some others, milk was 6.5 and eggs were 8.

Good luck in your testing
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Coke is 2.5? Holy schmoly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Substrate specific? I thought we were talking about only one substrate here...that being the surface of your car?

Steve, I agree with most of what you say. It`s not all about B&W Ph readings. Hydrogen peroxide burns your eyes b/c it is potentially an extremely combustible fluid. Even though the stuff sold OTC is only 97% water, the stuff is very strong. So it`s not the concentration of H ions that causes the damage. We`re talking about stuff that`s used sometimes as an additive for rocket fuel. Cola however, is just sweetened, flavored water that happens to be pretty acidic from carbonation, sodium citrate, etc. Harmless stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intermezzo [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Cola however, is just sweetened, flavored water that happens to be pretty acidic from carbonation, sodium citrate, etc. Harmless stuff. [/b]</blockquote>
    Does this mean I can use Coke to clean my wheels!
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen better lists but this one is pretty good!

Many Uses of Coca Cola

Heres a good one
    added:

Just when you thought you knew everything....

1. In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl... Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean.

4. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

5. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

6. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away corrosion.

7. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

9.The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

10.To carry Coca Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly Corrosive materials.

11.The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Just a little humor...Think its true???

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by bjwebster [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I have seen better lists but this one is pretty good!

Many Uses of Coca Cola

Heres a good one
    added:

Just when you thought you knew everything....

1. In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl... Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean.

4. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

5. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

6. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away corrosion.

7. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

9.The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

10.To carry Coca Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly Corrosive materials.

11.The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Just a little humor...Think its true??? [/b]</blockquote>
    Fmr Nascar,Arca & USAC driver

96 Mitsu GST
    02 Vette Z06
    03 S2000

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad told me about the battery thing years ago. I`ve always had a litre of Coke in my trunk for just such a problem. I keep my terminals pretty clean but since I am usually called on to jump start cars at my office I always find it useful to use.

That pH stuff is really interesting. I`m not good at chemistry at all but I can understand the basics. This is the kind of information I get off on. I`m a fountian of useless information (like the uses for Coke.) There is another list out there that has the uses for all kinds of household chemicals. Very interesting stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`ll basically eat away at anything containing calcium, lime or rust. Hey, that sounds like edible Lime-Away!

Post Thanks / Like
    And we`re drinking this?!

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intermezzo [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>It`ll basically eat away at anything containing calcium, lime or rust. Hey, that sounds like edible Lime-Away! [/b]</blockquote>LOL! I`ll try it on a faucet tomorrow . . .

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by YoSteve [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>
    More thoughts to add to the pot, cola has a pH of like 2.5 and hydrogen peroxide (OTC) has a pH of like 3.5. Cola in your eye won`t harm it much but hydrogen peroxide will. So determining harshness is substrate specific rather than black and white pH reading.
    [/b]</blockquote>
    You guys dissapoint me! Coca Cola does NOT have a pH of 2.5. Phosphoric acid (which is a SMALL component of Coca Cola) has a pH of 2.8 or so. Trust me, if Coke was acidic as you guys claim, YOU WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO DRINK OR DIGEST IT!

And, this business about the eyes. Back when I was in the pharmacy labs I used to make eye drops. pH is everything when it comes to eye drops. If you do not come close to the pH of of the lacrimal and other fluids in the eye, you get big time irritation. All baby shampoos are is pH adjusted shampoo so it doesnt sting. Basically, if coke has a pH of 2.8, say goodbye to your eye...it isnt going to work for awhile. Hydrogen peroxide is a different story because first off...most of the H2O2 you can buy is extremely dilute. In addition, hydrogen peroxide tends to decompose into water and a free reactive oxygen, which can do plenty of damage on its own.

By the way, that story about the many uses of Coke is humorous, but ridiculous and false at the same time. http://www.snopes2.com/cokelore/acid.htm

I will tell you this though, coke syrup is a great antiemetic that used to be a must have before the advent of pharmaceutical antiemetics.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you test the pH of a chemical you don`t report the pH of it in it`s pure form.

When i looked up the pH of cola for example, I would assume that the pH reported is of the cola and not of the phosphoric acid in the cola in full strength

if you test the pH of .5 molar HCL in the lab you don`t report the 1 molar version. it just doesn`t make sense to me.

so because I haven`t tested it, I will get some cola and test it today to see how low it is.

as for the hydrogen peroxide when I looked up it was reported 35%.

the point was pH isn`t your only means for determining how much effect it will have on an object.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand what you are saying, just trying to clear up some misinformation.

Plus guys, common sense has to prevail! Do you really think something as acidic as pH <3 is not going to cause tissue necrosis in your throat and mouth before getting to your stomach?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its supposed to be funny...hahaha

Not to be taken so seriously:xyxthumbs

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information