Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to be completely detailing my black paint on 1997 GTP soon and am using the following steps and products. The one I`m not sure of is the final wax...I want something that will last here in MI yet remain cost effective. Keep in mind my car is garaged almost all day too. 1. Dish detergent wash 2. Mother`s clay kit(w/o sh*tty wax of course) 3. 3M Swirl remover for dark cars 4. Meguair`s Deep Crystal Carnauba wax...I hear the durability on the last one is slim to none...I don`t want to use Klasse AIO because it is a cleaner wax but am curious about the Sealant that they offer. All opinions welcome!(unless you try to knock my first three steps)

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Dawn Wash - then follow up with a regular car wash/shampoo.

2. Clay - cut bar up to several pieces. Just in case you drop a piece you have another.

3. 3M SMR, read the archives for techniques to use this by hand (unless you have a PC, read the PC techniques.)

4. I would not recommend the Meguiars deep crystal wax. Klasse AIO will beat it in durability bar none. Klasse AIO is not a cleaner wax, but cleaner sealant. Then layer 5 coats of Klasse SG on the car with a few days between coats for max. effects. If you want that black paint to shimmer in a deep pool, try Pinnacle Souveran to top off the Klasse layers. Then once a month put on the Souveran, you`ll probably get mroe durability from the Souveran since it is garaged. Klasse + Souveran = killer combo.

Also Klasse works great on the wheels, makes cleaning them easier, just an old mitt and a seperate bucket will clean weekly brake dust off. Never let the mitt touch the paint or the bucket be used for paint.

What do you plan to wash the car with (mitts, and shampoo)?

Glass? Interior protectant? What towels do you use? tire protectant? etc. etc.

Happy Detailing

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I would second that - the Deep Crystal is meguiar`s cheapest line - and it has cleaners in it too. I would use AIo before that for sure.

It depends upon how anal you plan to be with the black car. I am engaged in a never ending quest for perfection and deeper meaning - which inplies that swirls bug me like crazy. I`m getting better and better but most of the ones I take out are ones I put there in the first place. for this reason, the longevity of the LOUSIEST wax is good enough! My black car gets driven about 1/3 time and sits under a cover the rest. when it gets driven it gets washed frequently (because it needs it - and this is where some of the swirl marks come from. )

Because I KNOW that swirl removal will happen, AND will strip ANYTHING (even Zaino or Klasse) off the paint, I prefer something that provides great gloss in a single coat and both goes on and comes off easy. So far, the best fit has been Meguiars` Gold Class Liquid (their best product for gloss, not longevity) - it is a polymer blend and it DOES last as long as I need it to, and then some. If you can afford it, Souveran provides even more depth, goes on easier and buiffs out easier than anything else.

If you can tolerate a higher level of swirls between stripping, then a polymer is going to be your best bet because it will last better- and I think Klasse is good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash first with dawn to strip off all wax and then clay it up with a mother`s bar and Meg`s QD spray...then I`ll polish the paint with the 3M and still deciding on what to top that with...tires I use either endurance or tire wet aerosol...normal washings with california gold mother`s or meguiar`s wash and polish rims(hi-polished alloys) with mother`s mag and aluminum polish...I usually dry with an electric leaf blower and spot dry with a microfiber sometimes i`ll dry all with a MF or two...interior gets Meguair`s conditioner on the leather and meguair`s SHINE on the dash and plastics/vinyl...for the glass I use either quick wipes for glass by armor all or a wet microfiber followed by newsprint...whew!!! I think that`s it...now tell me more!

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DCopp [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I don`t want to use Klasse AIO because it is a cleaner wax but am curious about the Sealant that they offer. [/b]</blockquote>
    Hey Dcopp welcome on board. AIO is a cleaner but it is a nonabrasive polymer based cleaner. It works pretty darn good all by itself however the shine and durability can be increased by applying one or more coats of SG over the AIO.

<em class=`bbc`>clic pic[/i]
    http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1675_1248696

Post Thanks / Like

http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1675_1227312
    Thanks to YoSteve again for showing me the lihjt when I was doubtful about using Klasse when people were reporting hazing problems. Here is what it did for my C.

Fmr Nascar,Arca & USAC driver

96 Mitsu GST
    02 Vette Z06
    03 S2000

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you moderator! it is nice to be here...my new favorite site for sure. I `m sure you know what you are talking about being a moderator and all, but the research that I have done has me convinced that it is impossible to make a cleaner and wax/polymer sealer in the same solution...if it is cleaning than it could do no more than leave a residue behind that one believe`s is a sealer, or wax...I could be wrong but I will just stick to what I have learned until someone proves to me that it is chemically possible to do such a thing...thanks all for the info though, i`ll post pics when my car is finished and get some opinions on the finale!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    this is copied and pasted from a website called Car Care Specialties How-To articles... CLEANER/WAX: A combination, one-step chemical cleaner and a wax. I am not a fan of these types of products, as they are required to perform two very diverse functions simultaneously. A cleaner should remove old wax, so how does it simultaneously apply a coat of new wax? You may wish to use this type of product only in emergency situations or on your Yugo.

Make your own judgement...

Post Thanks / Like

<strong class=`bbc`> the research that I have done has me convinced that it is impossible to make a cleaner and wax/polymer sealer in the same solution...if it is cleaning than it could do no more than leave a residue behind that one believe`s is a sealer, or wax...I could be wrong [/b]</blockquote>
    What you may have in mind is that a one step cleaner/sealant or cleaner/wax cannot be layered. Because each new application will clean off the layer beneath it. All the cleaner waxes I have seen use abrasives as the cleaning agent. While they can`t be layered they do leave a coat of wax behind and typically the coat it leaves won`t last much longer than 1 month.

AIO is different in that its cleaning properties are chemical based and not abrasive based. That said it still can`t be layered for the same reason listed above. The big difference with AIO compared to a cleaner wax is that one application of AIO will hold up for several months and probably four times longer than a cleaner wax. AIO being polymer based works as a terrific preparatory step for Klasse SG. The SG will increase the shine and durability on your car by several months. Because SG is also a polymer it will not bond on top of a layer of wax but it will bond very well to the polymer sealant that the AIO has left behind.

The two Klasse products combined together create a bright reflective shine that is one of the longest lasting products available. Checkout this thread to see how long the Klasse combination has lasted for other Autopian members. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like

<strong class=`bbc`> ... CLEANER/WAX: A combination, one-step chemical cleaner and a wax. I am not a fan of these types of products, as they are required to perform two very diverse functions simultaneously ... [/b]</blockquote>
    DCOPP:

As a general rule, you are correct about a product being specially formulated for a single purpose being superior to a product aimed at performing two disparate processes. A-I-O seems to be the exception. Try it. I`m not a pro, but I used it in conjunction with the SG and then overcoated it a week later with carnuba. Looks great.

Listen to the professionals. The stuff works and is easy to use.

E

Post Thanks / Like
    i am getting more and more tempted...believe me...looked at the concours kit available from classic motoring accessories last night...39.95 for AIO and SG and two MF applicators...pretty damn good deal if it is as good as ya`ll say...how long should a 16.9 oz bottle last?

Post Thanks / Like
    DCopp,

There are a number of high quality one step sealents on the market. Many mobile detalers use these products and have great success. Valueguard has one called OEM One Step which is superb on vehicles with only light swirls. The protection lasts 6-8 mths. I have had great sucess with this product to date.

All of the major Detailing companies produce these type of products Megquires, Malco, Production Car Care, Top of The Line are just a few. All of the products have very light cleaning properties along with a polymer sealent that leaves a durable 3-8mth. shield of protection after the curing process takes place, usually 24 hrs. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    A little goes a long way for Klasse. 16.9 oz. of Klasse AIO should last for 10-12 coats (I`ve gotten about 1 oz-1.5 oz a coat, I`ll get exact measurements this spring when I measure out the AIO into little 1 or 2 oz bottles.) The SG should yield even more coats. 1 oz. is the rec. amount for a medium sized sedan.

Economical and very tempting. The Klasse should last you a few years (2-4.)

Your mileage may vary. (YMMV)

Jaspm <-----hahah whoops.....Jason

Post Thanks / Like

<strong class=`bbc`>how long should a 16.9 oz bottle last? [/b]</blockquote>
    I was able to get 10 applications out of that size bottle and they were mostly large vehicles, trucks, suvs and a minivan.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    just for the record, I have had no troubles whatsoever with the durability of DCS step 3 carnauba...... but that is because I wash twice a week during the summer months, and once a week use the spray `quikwax` from meguiars. I also QD on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day. This is on the vehicle I had before this one, now I use #20/GC and the renewal with quikwax. I also use Zaino, which I find to be a better product.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information