Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a 2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 and 3.03 (highway) gears. I`ve done no mods to it.

I raced a 1995 F-150 XLT. His engine saies it`s a 4.9L V8. His truck is completely stock and he looked up the rear diff and it saies he has 3.31 gears.

What mods can I do to get the most performance for my money?

Some stuff I know like a new airfilter and computer chip but can I get brand recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    K&N seems to be popular. You may wana see if they have a typhoon intake system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can I check on the typhoon intake?

Is there anyway I can get an airram that sits behind the grill?

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of things strike me as being odd about the scenario...

1) A 4.9L is usually an Inline 6 cylinder - especially in a 1995. They didn`t start putting the 4.2L V6 or 4.6L V8 in F150`s until 1997.

2) 3.31 Gears don`t seem right - usually they`re 3.08, 3.55, 3.73 or 4.11. Bear with me, I haven`t been a tech since 1997, so my memory is fading quickly!

The differential ratio is probably why his truck is faster - since it`s a 4.9L, I`m guessing it`s a 3.55 rear gear. The other thing that would matter is 4x4 vs. 4x2...

An air filter/ram air probably won`t add much HP to your truck. I just finished watching an episode of Popular Hot Rodding, and they found that when adding a K&N filter AND complete cat-back exhaust (4") on their diesel Dodge, they only gained 4HP. I`m guessing an air filter is good for about 1 - 2 HP.

Not sure what to suggest - perhaps some new rear-end gears?

Post Thanks / Like
    I working on a differnt idea right now

Something that`ll be faster than a lightning

I`m just going to do the standard mods on my truck right now. Airfilter, chip, exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intel486 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I`ve got a 2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 and 3.03 (highway) gears. I`ve done no mods to it.

I raced a 1995 F-150 XLT. His engine saies it`s a 4.9L V8. His truck is completely stock and he looked up the rear diff and it saies he has 3.31 gears.

What mods can I do to get the most performance for my money?
    Some stuff I know like a new airfilter and computer chip but can I get brand recommendations? [/b]</blockquote>
    Essentially, the 4.9 liter V8 is really what the 302 is in liters. It`s just rounded up to 5.0.

In a nutshell, you can take many of the speed parts for a Mustang GT and put them on your pickup since they share essentially the same motor.

You could get parts to tweak your 4.6 at either:

www.summitracing.com
    www.jegs.com

While you are at it, you can throw a Vortech or Paxton centrifugal supercharger on it.

Another route to go is getting a 5.4 liter or 5.8 liter (351) and doing some of the same mods on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trucks weren`t meant to be quick or fast. If your going to spend that much money, why not buy a Used sports car or a WRX

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Dan E. [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Trucks weren`t meant to be quick or fast. If your going to spend that much money, why not buy a Used sports car or a WRX [/b]</blockquote>Agree:xyxthumbs
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Wring the most out of your engine ...

E

Post Thanks / Like
    Intel: I had a 93 F-150 with the 5.0 a few mods and 3.55 gears it ran well but I have driven a modded 4.6 F150 and it blows the 5.0s away.

I have some experience with the mods avaliable for F150s because I am a long time member of F150online.com forums

Here are the mods I think you should do:

1: The best and very first mod you should get (bang for the buck wise) is not exhaust or a K&N as many will tell you. However it would be some 3.73 gears this will make a VERY nice difference.

2: Now comes the exhaust. Get a good side exit setup like a Gibson. No need for dual 3" pipes or anything like that just a simple cat-back like the Gibson will do.

3: Now that you have better exhaust flow you need intake flow of course. Don`t waste your money on a cold air intake or anything. I spent $200 on a K&N Cold air style kit for my 93 and it didn`t do anything except make the truck sound cooler (this is going by track times not dyno numbers) unless you have ported heads and intake and things like that it`s a waste. Just grab a simple K&N drop in element and that will give you all the extra air flow you will need with stock heads, intake and no forced induction stuff. You can get a K&N for like $40 at Autozone.

4: Good tires. Trucks usually have traction issues since there is very little weight over the rear tires. I used Pirelli Scorpion Zeros on my F150 and it made a night and day difference over the stock Firestones. Get some sticky tires and you will be suprised expecially if your truck is not equipped with T-Lok or limited slip.

5: Now this is where the deciding point is. If you now feel your truck is how you want it then I suggest having a performance chip programmed for it from superchips.com I bought their universal F150 5.0 chip for my 93 and it dropped around 2/10s off my track times. It should do even better on your truck because it has the computer controlled transmission so it will change your shift points to more performance oriented as well as increase line pressure to make the truck shift a little quicker and crisper. I paid $229 for my chip and it was worth every penny. On your model of truck though it could cost a little more because I believe you have to send off the computer to be reprogrammed with the new information. However if you plan to do more mods to your engine then skip the chip because you can`t use N2O (Nitrous) or a Supercharger with the chip unless you have it reprogrammed.

This should get you a good start hope I was helpful. Let us know what you decide to do.
    2000 Mustang V6/5-Speed
    2002 PT Cruiser Limited

Post Thanks / Like
    I re-raced the same guy turning my Overdrive off and he didn`t didn`t get that far ahead. We got up to 80.

With 3.73 gears how much will it affect my mpg?

At 70 what RPMs would I be at?

How much would 3.73s cost? If I have to order all the parts myself to take the a mechanic what all do I need?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Going from 3.03s to 3.73s will more than likely GIVE you another 1 MPG around town (because the engine stays in it`s powerband you don`t have to give it as much gas)

You will only loose around 1 to 1.5 MPG at hiway speeds (70-80)

For example I had a 1991 Mustang GT Automatic 5.0 the car was bone stock and had the 2.73 gears in it! I installed some 4.10s and gained 2mpg around town and only lost 1mpg on the hiway (from 21mpg down to 20mpg)

And going from 2.73s to 4.10s is quite a bit more extreme then going from 3.03s to 3.73s.

I`m no math wiz and actually don`t know the formula for how much your RPMs would increase at 70mph with the 3.73s but from my experiences in the past I would say 175-225RPM it won`t be nothing dramatic at all. Also if you ever tow anything with the truck it will increase your MPG while towing in most cases.

Like I said you will notice more of a difference going to 3.73s then you would anything else less than $450

Now as far as what you would need I`m not sure what rear end a 2000 F-150 has but I would assume it is an 8.8" rear if thats the case then you can order the gears (make sure to get FRPP Ford`s racing brand used to be Ford Motorsports I think) from Jeg`s or Summit for around $199 then you will need a shim kit and new gear oil which will run you around $50 then if I where you I would have them installed at the dealer because it`s not a simple process because you have to make sure everything is turning at the right angle in order to get the best performance. I would estimate the dealer would charge you around $125 for labor.

So set aside around $400 and that should cover everything. Trust me after the gears all that 95 F150 will see is tailights and you`ll have a huge grin on your face every time you drive your truck! I speak from first hand experience
    2000 Mustang V6/5-Speed
    2002 PT Cruiser Limited

Post Thanks / Like

2011 Audi S5 Deep sea blue

well without further a do... thanks to all who helped me getting the pictures on the forum... not to mention the advice on product selection and methods...

2 coats of BFWD
    minimal prep, didnt really need clay or polishing. just a very good IPA wipedown to get rid of the dealer prep wax.

HOORAY!! It worked!:hurray:

Post Thanks / Like
    Such a beautiful car, it looks great. I really need to get some BFWD, amongst MANY other products that get rave reviews here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful car and color...I love the S5`s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information