Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just joined the forums today, and I`ve already read a ton! You guys are great!

Here`s the situation - I just got a new Protege5 in July, and for the past few months I`ve been reading a ton of stuff trying to figure out the best way to protect it. I`ve read so much though that I have too much stuff crammed in my head! I have to sort this out and figure out exactly what to use in the spring, when its actually warm enough here to do a full detailing.

Over the past few months I`ve used a bunch of cleaner/waxes on several cars. I haven`t had the patience or time to start doing 3 or 4 step processes. But I`m determined in the spring to do a full detail after this hard winter! So, I`m hoping that I can get some consolidated opinions on what would be the best for me to use in a few months...

I am willing to spend a bunch of time in the spring to detail my car but 6-7 hours is probably my limit. What polish, cleaner, and wax/sealant would you recommend? My car is dark blue, with just a few minor swirl marks (so far anyway). I`m also considering a PC (thanks for the great info!), so I`d also like to know whether your reccommended products are usable with a orbital buffer or not. And finally - if you have any product specific application advice, that would be useful too!

Thanks guys - hopefully I can narrow 20-30 products down to 2 or 3 to consider!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very broad subject ... But I suggest you look first to the selants like Klasse Zaino or Blackfire and read about them. they are not complicated and last a long time.

Application will depend on which you choose so I would wait for that until you choose a system...or be brave and try all three out on different areas of your car and see which you like the best. Do a test and then you could post the results.

Welcome to the board is a great place. I suggest you get the e-book on the carport site it is very valuable tool as well.

I know I didn`t give you the simple answer. PS read some more!!!!

Again Welcome!!:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your advice. Actually, I own the book, and I`m fairly familiar with Zaino and BF - not so much with Klasse. Never used any though. I was hoping that there would be some type of consensus from everyone, given my situation. If I had the cash I`d buy every product I found and try them all out. The reality is that I`d like to cross 90% of those products off the list and just try a few. That remaining 10% is what I was hoping to get from my post. I guess what you`re saying is that I should be going with something non-carnuba based? Maybe I`ll pickup the huge BF kit before the spring and give it a shot.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    You might not be able to get BlackFire, I don`t think CMA ships to Canada. They might have changed it but I know a little while back they would not ship to canada.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    The parents live in PA.... so no problem for me!

Thanks for the info though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Carport.

I don`t think you`ll get a consensus on any one particular product or brand - heck, I don`t think you could get most folks to agree on a flavor of ice cream.

But as you`ve read there are a few brands of products that most of the serious folks use. It really depends on what work you are doing (paint, wheels, rubber, interior, etc) and what kind of results you want. For each type of work there seems to be only a few recommended products as discussed here. So the selection is not as daunting as it seems.

It may be easier to break down each job to its basic elements then determine what products are available to do the job you want. Once you`ve done that and combined it with the info posted here, you`ll see a few choice products that are stand outs in their field. The 90% elimination is done.

Some folks like to stick with one or two favored brands. Others like to experiment with a wider variety. I don`t think one is better than the other. I`m sure you will find a system that will work for you. There are lots of helpful people here and the archives are a terrific resource. You have David`s e-book which is another fantastic resource; I think it will give you exactly what you want in terms of techniques and specific product suggestions.

Welcome to the world of OCD car care

There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used many products and my favorite is Blackfire. Klasse which i have used is very good but Blackfire is even better.

Post Thanks / Like
    mp5_toronto:

Maybe i can help you locate some of the products available near you (ie. 3M swirl mark remover)

In regards to blackfire I only know that you can get it in the states, but 3m and Meguiars Professional equipment is available in Brampton.

write back if interested.

Pritesh.

Post Thanks / Like
    From one Canuck to another, get zaino! I have klasse, and now I have problems. Do a search on the words "klasse" and "haze" and you`ll see what I`m talking about. Blackfire is still unproven. Some say it doesn`t retain it`s slickness, this concerns me. As far as I`m concerned, zaino is a proven commodity in all critical areas. It incorporates the newest technology, whereas klasse is 20 years old. And Zaino`s Canadian distributor is located in Guelph. How can you can wrong? Just use all zaino products. You said your car is new right? Hopefully you won`t need any abrasive polishes like 3M SMR, or Finesse-It II. Z5 should be enough. Zaino clay is one of the best, and so are their leather and tire products. If you want consensus, I`ll give you consensus-----> GO WITH ZAINO!!!

Here is the URL of the Canadian distributor:

http://www.car-fanatic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    BF looks awesome, but the slickness does fade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the offer! I was wondering where in Brampton I could get Meguiars Professional products. So if you could let me know, that would be great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Fellow Ontario`ans,

CMax in Mississauga at Erin Mills Parkway and Dundas carryies all the 3M and Megiuar`s Professional Lines.

So you just a hope and step away.

I`ll be going with Zaino rather than Klasse, when just a week ago I thought I would be going with Klasse. To many weird stories about Klasse and the Zaino kit is great.

I have been using the 3M the last couple of days and thus far have been pretty happy with it. Although, I am going to need to move up to FI II for some area`s. 10 coats of SMR and still no luck in getting some of the swirls off my GirlFriends Cavalier.

I had the impression that CMA shipped to Canada but I may be wrong. I hope so, I was planning on getting all the EF products from them!

I work near the 401/Highway 10, so maybe I can help you out getting the products if you can`t make to Mississauga.

Paco

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks - I`m right at Erin Mills and Burnhamthorpe, so I can make it there in 10 minutes!

But I guess if I want to get the Zaino kit I`ll have to go to Guelph. I wonder if that new ZFX "cure accelerator" is any good - sure gets expensive if you pick that up too....

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get all megs and 3M products at UAP/NAPA as well. Can. Tire also sells 3M, but they have to order it from one of their catalogues.

As for EF products, you can purchase them from http://www.tacscar.com . Tim Miller is the guy behind the company. He is very nice. And he DOES ship to Canada. I`ve purchased from him b4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, check your PMs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information