Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    hello

i have a pretty big dilema here guys.

it`s about my dad`s 98 s70 volvo, which is dark blue color.

the previous owner took it thru car washes :down . , as a result it has LOOOONNNNGGGG scrathces in the paint, especially on the roof, and trunk.

i have previously tried using 3m smr on it with mininal results.

i want to try some more powerful products, you guys keep talking about FI-II being the next step up.

how does

3Mâ„¢ Finesse-itâ„¢ II Finishing Material 39003
    http://products.mmm.com/us/auto_mari...glGS7YQ44PFWbl

3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ II Rubbing Compound
    http://products.mmm.com/us/auto_mari...glFT6DLVF76Zbl

and Meguiars #2 Fine Cut compare?

i already have meguiars #2, but want to know how it compares to the rest. perfect it sounds like it is a little less abrasive than finesse-it., has anybody used perfect it?, and #2?

what do you guys suggest.

thanks for reading,

later

Post Thanks / Like
    From my expereice, 3m is way ahead of meguiars in terms of polishes. The FI-2 is more abrasive than the meguiars (i think), so it should remove thoose scratches more effectively but you might experience some hazing if sone by hand, so follow up with some SMR

Post Thanks / Like
    i plan on using an orbital buffer,

i used it with 3m smr on my car, and it did wondders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most aggressive: FI rubbing compound. caution - even with an orbital, you could ultimately burn through your paint with this stuff. Use it sparingly and work it well, rather than use a bunch and don`t work it much.

Middle - FI II finishing material. Still pretty aggressive, will haze the surface a good deal until you work it a lot and the abrasives diminish - then you end up with only slight hazing - might not even be visible on the car unless it is a very dark, non-metallic blue.

Fine Cut cleaner is finer than FI-II finishing. But you won`t need it. My advice is to try FI -II finishing - work it well - then follow with 3M SMR (since you have it), or better yet, Meguiar`s SMR 2.0 - it is easier to use than the 3M. If you use the 3M make sure you work it well too - it also has diminishing abrasives.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember Beau being a pretty big fan of the 3M Perfect It 2 Rubbing Compound. At any rate, the next step for you may very well be to try the 3M Finesse It 2. Good product and a real favorite here on the board. Laters

Post Thanks / Like

Talking cars I am detailing for a classic car collector in Iowa

This car here is a 59 tbird with 1806 original miles. Quite an amazing story on it. The guy im working for has a lot of rare vehicles including the next album I will be posting a 1 of 1 Monte Carlo SS 454 convertible. He has roughly 60 cars I will be doing completes on. Just thought Id share some pictures. I have done 4 cars so far and he loves all of my work. I wont be doing as many cars for him over the next 10 weeks, because he also owns a resort up here in Spirit Lake Iowa. His manager for the resort im staying at that he owns became very ill and cant perform the manager position anymore. He asked me if Id like to take over that role for the rest of the season. I said yes as long as I can still detail on the side when im not working and he said yes of course. The great thing about it is in 10 wks I will make more than I would working full time at Elite in 2 years : Enough of me talking here are the pics:

http://www.1320video.com/gallery/album234
    http://www.1320video.com/gallery/album234

before

after

More to come.

Monte Carlo
    This car is 1 of 1. As a few of you might know they never made a 454 ss convertible MC. The guy Im working for had a 454 ss hard top and got pictures of a prototype GM built 8 of back in the day but then realized no one would ever buy one. So all 8 were crushed and never released. About 5 years ago he had his body shop custom build one for him from the pictures he received from a friend of his and built an exact replica of what GM wanted to release. All of the sheet metal from the doors back is hand made

http://www.1320video.com/gallery/album259?page=1

before

after

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    More pictures please. Great gig you have there. Nice MC ragtop 454. Always wanted a coupe but I have never seen a soft top model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone will get a star for the day if they can name the name of the wheels and what they are originally for that are on the Monte Carlo right now:thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful work and sounds like a nice summer gig to go along with it.

I`m just guessing but they look like Vette wheels.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My brother order one before he came home from Vietnam in 70 (2nd tour). He order a black SS Monte Carlo hard top with e SS badges on the side and with a 454. I saw it only once and man it was sweet. The SS 454 package, option Z20, included the 454 big block engine, a heavy duty suspension, "SS454" badging on the rocker panels and deck lid, a remote control sport mirror, thin black rocker panel stripes, heavy-duty battery, automatic level control suspension, air shocks, dual chrome exhaust extensions, 15x7 inch Rally wheels, and GTO-15B white stripe tires. The vast majority of the SS454 came with the LS-5 454 engine, rated at 350 bhp. But about 10 were snuck out of the factory with the LS-6 454 engine, rated at 450 bhp. A very few four speed Monte Carlo SS454s were made too. But those knock off to me are very special indeed. Just can`t remember the name for them.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work! There are a lot of classic car collections in Iowa!

One guy has a collection of over 100 Corvettes, another has at least one convertible from every model and year of Chevys from the 50`s to present!:clap:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, cannot wait to see the afters!

Post Thanks / Like
    nice rides, i bet that t-bird rides like a tank...smoooooooooth. aren`t those knock off wheels from a corvettte on the monte carlo

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep they are true Kelsey Hayes knock off`s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information