Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a difference between Meguiar`s final inspection and quick detailer?

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the Quik Detailer contains silicones. It also smells better and has a MUCH better spray bottle. I washed out the Quik Detailer bottle really well and use it for my gallon of FI. I love that squirt bottle. Good misting, pretty good distribution:up

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I believe the Quik Detailer contains silicones. It also smells better and has a MUCH better spray bottle. I washed out the Quik Detailer bottle really well and use it for my gallon of FI. I love that squirt bottle. Good misting, pretty good distribution:up [/b]</blockquote>
    I also love the squirt bottle! It`s pretty cool the first time you use it, shoots that chad thingy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I like the spray bottle too! Great mist. And I also buy FI by the gallon - makes it WAY cheaper.

A caution on the QD spray bottle though - it does NOT seal all that well - I keep a bottle in each of my cars and that one leaked out. amazingbly, it seemed to cause no staining or discoloration anywhere (it sits in a door pocket) - but I had a thoroughly moist microfiber towel.... SO i leave the Meguiar`s QD bottle upright in my garage.

I`m re-using my best spray bottles of whatever (like the QD that came with my Mother`s Clay Bar, which I don`t particularly like) for keeping FI in the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey carguy, you like the MOTHERS spray bottle? I thought that thing put out enough volume to use on my hair! Or do you just like the fact that it seals well?

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by carguy [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`> A caution on the QD spray bottle though - it does NOT seal all that well - I keep a bottle in each of my cars and that one leaked out. amazingbly, it seemed to cause no staining or discoloration anywhere (it sits in a door pocket) - but I had a thoroughly moist microfiber towel.... SO i leave the Meguiar`s QD bottle upright in my garage. [/b]</blockquote>
    I hate that when that happens! I had a bottle of Pinnacle Vinyl and Rubber protectant in the back of the Exploder that leaked! The smell was horrible! I had to pour baking soda everywhere!

Anyways, I now keep all my car stuff in the Garage or in the laudry room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not keep things in smaller containers? I have a little mobile detailing kit with a couple of different products in little 4oz sprayers I found at the local WAL-MART for just $1 a piece. Good mobility, good seals. Keep them in a water resistant bag just in case and you`ll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had mine in alittle plastic bag.......then i noticed the bag had alittle saggin at the bottom....saggy bag=empty container....of course..the meguiars QD...thats the shiniest inside of a bag you ever seen,.....also...

Dan E....pls dont bring up the word Chad...im a democrat...:p it still hurts...anyway...puter...as usual you come prepared......wtareproof baggie and all...i hope im with your tribe on the next Survivior.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Chad?? LOL love the survivor comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, Chads

Post Thanks / Like
    OHHHH that chads.

Post Thanks / Like
    He`s so smart

QD has silicone, FI does not.

QD is sold in 16oz and 32oz bottles. FI in 16oz and gallon jugs.

Both have differnet fragrance, and, of course, different distribution.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the Quik Detailer contains silicones. It also smells better and has a MUCH better spray bottle. I washed out the Quik Detailer bottle really well and use it for my gallon of FI. I love that squirt bottle. Good misting, pretty good distribution.

The Final Inspection seems a little easer to use. accept for the shape of the bottle. It sprays on and wipes off REAL easy. The QD on the other hand "seems" a little thicker and heavier. The QD sprays on well, however; you need to turn your detail towel a little more often, to dry the product and bring out the shine. I`m addicted to both.

Here is my question. Does the silicone, in the Qwik Detailer cause a concern to anyone?

-Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    i know the silicone ould cause probs if your gonna paint over it or sumthin....or on the interior of the car...but for me/us...the silicone shouldnt be a big deal as long as u dont try to apply stuff(wax/sealnt) with out doing a wash first

Post Thanks / Like

Street Dreams Detail - 2010 Porsche GT3 MKII

Booked for a complete new car prep and paint correction, car is driven almost daily.

Wheels and tires first. Porsche carbon ceramic brakes = no wheel cleaner. Some pH car shampoo mixed in a bucket was all that was needed. Tires/wheel wells scrubbed as well.

Removing dealership dressing from tires

Car was prepped at the dealer and wearing some kind of wax or glaze which needed to be completely stripped

Started with a pre-soak using diluted Optimum powerclean

Followed by foaming with CG citrus wash + Dawn

Lastly the 2 bucket wash with a lambswool mitt and CG citrus shampoo as well

Used the electric blower to blow out the crevices and wheels

Some shots of the defects in sunlight

RIDS + holograms

Water etch on the film, entire front hood has clear film as front bumper

A piece of tar on the film which tried to be removed left a 1 inch long gouge of scratches

Up close

Brought inside for claying, paint only... do not clay clear film as you can seriously marr it.

Clay after passenger door

After claying I prepped the car for correction using IPA mixture, again took caution on the film and opted not to use any IPA as the alcohol can dry out the plastic

Paint treated with IPA/water for prep and after each polishing stage..

For wiping down film I like final inspection, slick enough not to mar yet does a fine job cleaning without adding any real protection (which is what you want for prep and post polishing)

After taping up trim and badges I measured the paint, standard readings, no dangerously low areas

Onto correction, started with the hood clear film and the scratches. Taped off the one area which needed extra work, then taped up all edges and lines where the film ends

Up close of the cluster

Some of the deeper marks showing through

As most of you know I prefer using a DA machine on film, I began correcting this area with the DA, cutting pad and M105 even after several passes only minor marks were removed.

I opted to use a 3" pad on the rotary with the same combo and overloaded the pad with M105 liquid to keep the heat down and reduce the cut of the pad just a tad as to not burn the film. After 2 hits with the combo I was able to cut out a good bit more defect from the spot. The deeper marks would not budge short of wetsanding.

Although not 100% it was lightened quite a bit...

After the spot compounding was done I moved back to DA machine to clean up the rest of the film, this was a 3 step process.

As for people say that you CANNOT improve gloss on clear film heres a bit of proof...

White polishing pad after a 2x2 area, you would be surprised how much dirt is pulled out of the plastic when polishing. I changed out the pad 4 times to keep working clean. I moved onto the finish stage only when my pads showed clean foam after polishing.

All finished

Moving onto the rest of the car I used the rotary for both cutting and finishing.

Passenger door correction shots

50/50 left side shows the holograms left by the dealer

Close ups using halogen and the Fenix TK40 LED

Haze before

After polishing

50/50 difference in clarity and a hologram split in 2

Cleaning up after compounding

Working rear wing area, lots of tight spaces took a bit of time to get perfect

Light compoudning

Finishing, switched up to the 3" pad to get in between the two ducts

Taillights before

After

David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information