Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have a gazillion applicators so the washing machine approach isn`t very appealing. I have been looking for a container that has a screw top that I could add some detergent, some hot water and an applicator or two - I think the screw top is a better deal than a friction fit because detergent and water seem to create some pressure once agitated. A plastic container offers a bit more grip too and it can be abraded somewhat with 60 or 80 grit paper.

Today I found what is an ideal container for my purposes - a plastic, 64oz Hellman`s mayonnaise jar. These puppies are available at the warehouse stores and I suspect there are a number of facsimiles there also (mustard, popping corn, etc.).

Seems to do an excellent job of removing Zaino and Meguiar`s and though most of the black "stuff" remains, the applicator feels almost new again

WH
    Bill Belichick for President - Romeo Crennel for Secretary of Defense!

1999 Mercedes Benz ML-320 (Mercedes price, Chrysler quality!)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (STi on order)

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    haha how about one of these? if your spouce gets on you for using the washer

Wonder Wash $42.95

Washes a 5-lb. load super clean in just a couple of minutes.
    Has a patented pressure system that forces detergent into the fabric at high speed for a fast, efficient, economic and very easy wash
    Is ideal for campers, single persons and even for the housewife with small frequent loads like hand washables and diapers.
    Is ideal for delicates such as woolens, silks, knitted dresses and cashmeres garments.
    Uses far less water than even hand washing.

Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder Wash $42.95

Mayo Jar $0.00 (comes out ahead in the shipping and handling department too)

Obsessive compulsive (on the subject of detailing) that I am, I feel a bit guilty spending less than (say) $50 on a tin of car wax but I think this is one concession that I`m going to live with

WH
    Bill Belichick for President - Romeo Crennel for Secretary of Defense!

1999 Mercedes Benz ML-320 (Mercedes price, Chrysler quality!)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (STi on order)

Post Thanks / Like
    :p you are a pisser...between you and shoirtcut i dont know..........its close as to who has more thingys...or who can find links/pics to more tingys on the web:up

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    WH, take your mayo jar go to the top of a big hill and roll, or attach some string, go out side and fling it around it`s the unbreakable kind right? you can also add things into it like plastic beads in order to get the agitation thing going (chemists do it in the lab)

Post Thanks / Like

Porsche 10 hour correction

I don`t know if this is a 996 or 997 I`m still trying to learn them all HAHAHA.
    They called me for a full correction, some of the panels weren`t that bad but others were wrecked. The wing being carbon fiber took a lot work.

First washed the car with Dawn, I then foamed the car down with DP extreme foam soap, and clayed with Megs white.

Once the car was dried I taped it up and inspected the work.
    Did some testing and some panels(hood, roof, and wing) required 105/pfw on the rotary. While the rest of the car I used 105/orange on the flex. I finished down with white pad/flex/SIP and then once again with flex/green pad/Menz final polish.

This is the hood before

After

This is the roof of the car before

After polishing

Quater panel before

Quarter after

Wing before

Wing after, like I said earlier this took a lot of passes. I think it was 4 passes with the wool and 105 and some pressure. Very stubborn!

Here are some afters. I took the car back outside for another foam wash, I let the foam sit on the paint for a few minutes and then washed the car. No beading, no nothing. I rather do this than an IPA spray. This has worked for me for a while now and in some instinces I have found left over holograms so this tells me washing this way works to remove left over oils. The Porsche was waxed with SV Concorso

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobilejay View Post
    I don`t know if this is a 996 or 997 I`m still trying to learn them all HAHAHA.

Great job Jay! And I believe that`s a 1963 Enzoo Helix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice job Jay :clap:

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great work Mobilejay, looks great:wizard:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, Brian.....what? Ha I`m confused

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobilejay View Post
    Thanks guys, Brian.....what? Ha I`m confused
    LOL that was a joke. The Enzoo is the worlds only Pakistani super car I believe. I`m sure someone else knows a little more about that model.

You did a stellar job on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL oh okay, I figured it was a joke but did not know anything of that car. Thanks man

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Jay!!!

I hate (HATE) polishing Porsche`s that have that sun-roof!! That stupid (STUPID) felt trim around it requires taping it up twice (TWICE) to get the roof then the sun roof!

The model is a 996... How can you tell...

The 997 has traditional looking round headlights (circles) where as the 996 has `batmobile` headlights from the early Porsche Boxsters. Also the 996 turbo has that big open vent on the side, the 997 turbo`s vent is split in two by a stake. The 997 has a much better interior design. I personally like the 996`s exterior, but many Porsche enthusiast don`t.

The 993 was the model the preceeded the 996 and to some is the last `true` Porsche because of it`s air cooled motor. The 993 is a very very pretty car, and maybe the best 911 ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Todd when I was reading I was seeing the differences in my head and now I know exactly what you`re talking about.
    AND yes I hate those sunroofs as well, I had to find out the hard way a while back about the felt strip and getting polish out of that is a major PITA!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful work !! I have done a few of these but none with that much correction needed. You did a great job !! Congrats !!!

I have a 1967 911 Targa in my garage that I have done the extreme makeover a year ago and am doing it again, to sell it for the Estate.
    You are right, Todd, these models are the prettiest and best sounding. This one has a FabSpeed exhaust so it really sounds nice !!

I have about 10 rolls of 1/4" 3m green tape just for things like those felt strips, and it allows me to only have to tape it carefully, one time.

Sometimes, two thin strips of this tape, one on the edge and the other if needed, overlapping in the center, to get the other edge, is way easier to do and the thin tape more easily conforms around curves, etc., than the next larger size..

I get this kind of tape at the local Sherwin-Williams automotive paint supply store here in Bellevue.

They also sell a 1/8" tape, but it`s blue plastic - works fine if you need to get to something really thin, like that tiny gasket around some door handles..

Tell me more about the carbon fiber piece, you mentioned it was hard to do - why? Did you use M105 and a PFW pad on it too?

Thanks for sharing and the great pics !!

Dan F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information