Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    If I can, what should I use? I got a quote from a metal polisher and he said it would cost 70 bucks to do 2 exhaust pips on my truck. But for now my lame attempts to get that mirror finish that are on my tips to go on my pipes have failed. So, I figure why not just ask the Pros at Autopia.

Thanks in advance
    2000 Natural White Toyota Tundra

Rolling on: Weld Typhoons & 33`s

Protected by: Zaino + 303

Interior Audio: Premier

Exterior Audio: Borla Split side cat back.

Post Thanks / Like
    vinegar...olive oil...club soda....NeverDull..i never tried any of these things on tailpipes but they worked on my stainless steel sink....for streaks and stains...are they really nice...but just not nice enough or what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello iforceV8! Welcome to the forum.

I believe Spawn Sniper uses Klasse AIO to polish his Borla (?) exhaust. If you already use their products, then go ahead and try it on. It works really well on stainless steel kitchen appliances.

As far as polishing, I remembered an old article on the old Autopia-Carcare site. It mentioned something about Luster Lace or Pad, and sandpaper. I dont kno what happened to that...

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried NeVR DULL on the Borla pipes, but had no luck on it, I tried Mothers Metal Polish and still no luck. I was thinking I needed some fine abbrasive pad and buffer to really get a mirror shine, but I have no idea on what to get.

Thanks for the welcome,lots of good information in here. I guess there is a forum for everything. I belong to a flashlight enthusiats forum! I followed Spawn Sniper in here, we belong to a Tundra forum, and I actually recommended the Borla to him, but it doesnt look like he has the mirror finish on the pipes, although his tips look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    i know this sounds stupid but...for some reason the sounds cool....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mostly professionals post on that forum, people that trust their lives to their equipment, Seal Team, SWAT, Police officers, Search and Rescue teams and firefigters. www.Candlepowerforums.com
    For the guys who think Maglites are the brightest out there, prepared to be amazed. These guys have flashlights that put out 6 million candle power, and cost up to 1600 bucks

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    DoesLuster Lace polishes previously dull metals to mirror finish? Or does it restore it back to the original?

Post Thanks / Like
    dont u get tired of having all the right answers....

Post Thanks / Like
    just checked out that website...candlepower....now i know what people who come here for the firsttime feel like...i was lost....double magnums(recognized it once i saw the posted pic)...knives...guns....i felt like i was having an early thanksgiving as most of my family is in the NYPD or retired military...

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think other sites Abbreviate as much as you guys do..with the SMR, and MF Towels, I had such a hard time figuring out what those were.

Post Thanks / Like
    to stop that...then we all just fell beack into it....sorry....i had the same trouble and now i do it...

Post Thanks / Like
    The tips you want to polish are they unpolished stainless - is this an exhaust system that was made up for you by a pipe bender or an already made after market system. My experience was - I had a custom made system made up for me from unpolished straight pipe. I wanted it to shine so what worked for me was emery cloth - best description is very fine sandpaper that is cloth backed for flexibility and black in colour. Believe it comes in only one grade. Take that paper,cut it into one inch strips and the length of the paper and rap it around the pipe and polish it like you are polishing a pair of shoes, if you know what I mean - back and forth around the pipe holding one end of the paper with one hand - the other end with the other hand - concentrated in one area. It will not take too long before you will see the start of a shine so go till it is to a mirror finish. If the pipe has never been polished - this will do it. After that you can use cleaner and/or repolish with the emery cloth to maintain it. Works for me. MTS

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stainlkess is far harder than aluminum, which is why the metal polishes (Luster Lace, Mothers, etc) won`t increase the shine.

Emery paper isn`t a bad choice - the trick is to make such fine scratches they can`t be seen - that`s what true polishing is all about.

Products like NevrDull won`t work since they`re basically mineral spirits on wadding - great for wiping away dirt, but they don`t truly polish.

If you could find a way to put emery paper on a high speed device (drill, Dremel, etc) you`d get the best finish. Maybe start with 1500 wet, then 2500 wet, then emery. Wet it to keep from bluing the metal from heat.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Forrest - I did not want to get into the details of it all but what I did was I bought emery cloth for a belt sander so it is already ready for oval rotation - cut in the strips like I descripted - took a regular hand drill and I had a bit that with barrel like rubber end, like on a Dremel for sliding on their round sand paper accessories, slid the belt paper, which I turned inside out so the abrasive was now on the inside, over the pipe - stuck the drill with the rubber bit into the sandpaper loop and started the drill on a slow speed to start. It took some practise keeping the drill so the paper stayed on, rotated the paper around the pipe in a 360 degrees circle so all the pipe got polished - till it did produce a shine ( in this case the pipes were off the vehicle). This same thing could probably be done if you just wanted to do the tips of the exhaust since there might be the space - where you miss - do it by hand. When I did this it was almost like it was meant to be - it worked so well - should have prefected it and patented it cause i love MAKING THINGS SHINE. MTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information