Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So Ron how do them cheap restaurants get about 1" of clear something on them tables? LOL

Seems I learned something from NG in this thread -- Be careful with what you do else be prepared to open thy wallet and spread forth thy green paper to man with big GRIN.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Ron Ketcham [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Don`t worry about "OEM" paint from a Honda or any other shop.
    All the paint is bought from local PBE suppliers, not from Honda, etc.

Just be sure they use one of the major brands and current clears.

Ketch

:up [/b]</blockquote>
    thanks Ron, i think im going to save up some extra money and just try to grit my teeth at the minor but horriblly irritating mistake on my hood till i save enough.

one question though, how much do u think an I-Car place would charge to repaint my hood? i mean theres no damage from any kind of collision before and theres not alot of razy curves on it so its basicly a simple sand down and repaint deal. am i expecting arond $3-400? thats what msot people tell me from normal shops here. but since i just found out about I-Car, do they charge alot more than usual, say arond $6-700 to paint a hood like mine, just because they have that certification?

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to fix a scratch on the passenger side mirror on my sons Accord. Well, needless to say, it looked a whole lot better before I started messing with it! Since, it was being taken to the shop, and the repair required removing the mirror anyways, I am having them sand and paint it. Their charge for just painting the mirror (insurance paid for removal), was $53. So figure it out, a mirror is about one twentieth the size of a hood....so figure about $1000 give or take 5 or 6 hundred.....

H

Post Thanks / Like
    whoa $1000???? give or take 5-600? hehe thats a big deviation, its practically 50%

anyone else? maybe someone who actually had their hood painted from an accident or somthing?

Post Thanks / Like
    I unfortunately have more experience with body shops than I would like to. They seem to be all the same with reguards to price (have done some shopping around). Never had a car painted that wasn`t in an accident, but I would expect to pay around $500 for a complete hood re-paint. I wanted to have a dent repaired on my passenger door rocker panel which would need to be re-painted and that was going to cost $500!! So I would expect around that.
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    i remenber my 96 camry....a totally new hood cost $400...uninstalled of course...............my sis just got her 97 CRV back panel done...had a dent about the size os a football....not toodeep though...they did a great job...it was an I-car place....it was $550 for the repair and an extra $200 to match it exactly....

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm... i never thought about buying a new hood... gota check up on that and pricing... shipping will probably knock the price much higher than painting. instal is no problem for me.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Ng Luder [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>hmm... i never thought about buying a new hood... gota check up on that and pricing... shipping will probably knock the price much higher than painting. instal is no problem for me. [/b]</blockquote>Do you mean buying a totally new hood versus getting it re-painted?? Ahh...I believe they come un-painted. Pretty sure about that.
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    i didnt mean hey go buy a new hood....i just was amazed how the way u described the damage...paying $500 is a sin...it may be a necessary sin....but man....dood...ya know something...not to make you feel worse...but i actually wet sanded a very small section of my moms car...with the aid of the same post that u used...and it came out fine....but to be honest...as far as doing it on my car....im an even bigger puss since your tragedy.....i know that the way u described becoming over confident...that was happening to me after doing a tiny section of my moms....i was thinking...not too hard....but it is hard....not impossible....but anybody who says that that kind of project...on a very new car isnt extremely dangerous...is lying....just like the previous posts....you opened my eyes man....:up ....i know this seems like....oh thx and screw your hood......but i hope it doesnt come across that way.....

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by FLONI [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>i didnt mean hey go buy a new hood....i just was amazed how the way u described the damage...paying $500 is a sin...it may be a necessary sin....but man....dood...ya know something...not to make you feel worse...but i actually wet sanded a very small section of my moms car...with the aid of the same post that u used...and it came out fine....but to be honest...as far as doing it on my car....im an even bigger puss since your tragedy.....i know that the way u described becoming over confident...that was happening to me after doing a tiny section of my moms....i was thinking...not too hard....but it is hard....not impossible....but anybody who says that that kind of project...on a very new car isnt extremely dangerous...is lying....just like the previous posts....you opened my eyes man....:up ....i know this seems like....oh thx and screw your hood......but i hope it doesnt come across that way..... [/b]</blockquote>
    oh no, no harm taken there. i dont mind being the example for people who might try wet sanding and stuff. i made the mistake myself and its my own problem really. and as for the hood thing, i honestly wont mind buying a new one if it was already painted and i can get it shipped with not alot of cost. but my hood is about 45lbs. so i doubt this would be an option.

from what u said about $300 to fix that crvs dent plus $200 to paint match it, im guessing to paint match mine would be about $4-500 from an I-Car place

Post Thanks / Like
    where the big man explains to me why you have tp apy a little extra for the "perfect match`....but i think that an i-car place would already mtach it to the faded part ...so the $550 includes the paint....but an extra $200 for "

perfection"

http://autopia-carport.com/forum/sho...&threadid=4505

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the thread. wow another $200 for matching? and its not really color matching, its more like "lets make all the other panels in the same condition so it all looks the same matching".

i dont think i will be paying extra for that. im seriously low in cash already and $500 is ALOT for me. im a student with a part time job paid $6.75/hr for heavens sake! i think i can live with a perfect color match but without the same fadness. heck i liek my hood extra shinny, its my favorite part of the car and its the only part i quick wax every other week.

Post Thanks / Like
    The labor rate of shops vary, depends on location, etc.

Get three estimates.

All replacements hoods are done with a black e-coat out of the box, this must not be sanded to bare metal, if so, then an acid etch primer must be applied. (see series of photos, fender having the various stages of paint film applied on the site, www.autoint.com)

The match is done by a couple of ways, one by weight of solids or computer. The computer is at the PBE store, the shop takes your fuel door in and the computer matches it, the computer mixes a pint or whatever of the base coat to match.

The match may be off if the painter uses incorrect air pressure or application techniques,(pattern of spray).

To clear this up, A, the paint does not come from the vehicle manufacturer, B, replacement panels do not come color matched painted. Would be impossible, as at the assembly plants paint area they may have up to 4 color varations of a particular color during a production run.

Ketch
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t know if this will help you, but the I-CAR CarStar here in KC had to estimate the cost of repairing all of the small dents, dings and scratches that my wife`s 1990 Camry had after it was considered totalled by the insurance company. This doesn`t include the damage incurred by the actual crash that put the car there.... just the small dings and scratches from 11 years of use. They then subtracted that amount from the retail value to cut us a check for the car.

If I remember correctly... this is what they saw:

- 2 shallow lemon-sized dents (one on front panel, one on back panel)

- large, football-sized dent with cracked paint in driver`s door

- 7" long key scratch, including botched owner attempt to wet sand repair

The total they came to with body work and paint matching (silver) was $700. Hope this helps... but like others have said: get a couple estimates.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Post Thanks / Like
    graeme, thanks for the additional info:up i plan to get an estimate form 3 differnt shops. first an I-Car place, second that honda dealer recommended place, and finally a very reputable (but expensive) paint shop that does paintworks for import show cars

ill keep everyong up dated as it goes...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information