Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    PrinzII- 16 over in IN is Reckless Op? That might explain an rather unpleasant experience I had in one of the 928s (they let me go without even a ticket, but, well, long story...).

Here in OH twenty over is, IIRC, serious/not at the officer`s discretion (Accumulatorette and I have been popped for pretty big numbers with no Reckless, her last big one was 92/65) and the rule of thumb is that triple-digits mean you`re taken into custody. The LEOs *usually* write me down to 19 over, both in OH and in states that exchange points, so I can avoid the extra points/fines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
    That said, I would NEVER do it again!
    I would! But the fastest I`ve gone on land is 140.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttjay
    I`ve got 4 kids and they will razz me mercilessly if I get a speeding ticket.
    I`ve got 4 kids, and sometimes (not often) they razz me for driving too slowly. I usually go 5 over in and near town. On the freeway I tend to go faster and they don`t hassle me.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    PrinzII- 16 over in IN is Reckless Op? That might explain an rather unpleasant experience I had in one of the 928s (they let me go without even a ticket, but, well, long story...).

Here in OH twenty over is, IIRC, serious/not at the officer`s discretion (Accumulatorette and I have been popped for pretty big numbers with no Reckless, her last big one was 92/65) and the rule of thumb is that triple-digits mean you`re taken into custody. The LEOs *usually* write me down to 19 over, both in OH and in states that exchange points, so I can avoid the extra points/fines.

From what I heard some time ago, they (ISP) told me it was 16 over. In IL, 20 over is Reckless.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLINY
    Test Drive from the dealer! Was the guy from the dealership in the car with you? If he was he probably had to change his skivvys!

Fastest I have ever driven on public roads was 140 in an Audi S4 on 395 in Eastern CT. I was going from New London ferry to Boston trying to make up time. Race track 168 Richard Petty Driving Experience Lowes Motor Speedway for work. My boss at the time was a big Nascar fan. We all got to drive as part of our sales meeting. I think it was just a way for my boss to expense something he always wanted to do. Also, Nascar race cars are not made for guys who are 6`4" 270 (at the time) especially in mid August!

In the cases of both the SRT8 and the TBSS, the answer was yes. The salesman with the TBSS was : when my wife stepped on it and had a on her face after dusting a Cadillac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jek Hawkins
    LOL, the joke around here is "The highway says 95!"

I nicknamed I-90 in Chicago the Autobahn because they literally drive fast between WI and IL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinzII
    I nicknamed I-90 in Chicago the Autobahn because they literally drive fast between WI and IL.
    You`re not kidding. I routinely drive 80+ on I-90 and that`s with the flow of traffic. I`ve heard of guys getting tix on there for going too slow. I-355 is a good one to go fast on too. I haven`t tried the new southern extension from I-55 to I-80. Will have to try that this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad B.
    I`ve hit the "speed limiter" in every car I`ve owned. Her name is Julie, by the way.

"SLOW DOOOOOOOOOOOWN!"
    If Momma aint happy oneone is. ANDY

Post Thanks / Like
    Well here in England the carrageway Speed is 70mph and you will get your photo taken if you are five miles over. Large fine and points on your license. Im a fast learner. ANDY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy 73
    Well here in England the carrageway Speed is 70mph and you will get your photo taken if you are five miles over. Large fine and points on your license. Im a fast learner. ANDY
    You dont have a choice, but to learn quickly in the land of the speed camera. Luckily we dont have that here.

Aren`t all the speed cameras marked for you, tho? Don`t you know where they are?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy 73
    If Momma aint happy oneone is. ANDY
    That must be why I married a German! Way back when, when we only had one kid, I did 100 from San Antonio to Houston, with my wife, first born, and in laws in the car. No one complained! In fact they all fell asleep after awhile. Of course there`s a lot of nothing between San Antonio and Houston!
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    itb76- My domestic situation is similar; Accumulatorette (no stranger to on-track work and high speeds herself) regularly falls asleep regardless of how fast I`m covering ground. She`s always fine with whatever speed I go, triple-digits included.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow I just saw this thread. fastest I`ve gone on public roads is 125 in my 91 MR2 Turbo. Once I did 100 in the rain on a mountain road, too. Now that I`m "older", I`m not going to do that again, on a public road, EVER.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, what a thread †I could go on for days, but here’s three to share:

FASTEST: Extremely modified Trans Am on Salt Flats – 206. That was the hairiest drive I ever took. Notes: A) The ‘Flats’ aren’t that flat and it’s quite unnerving from 120 on up. The Duct Tape on the side windows (to keep them from blowing out) would start to peel away making you were scared the window was going to pop, disturbing air flow and causing a wreck. C) Sweating the sun block off and getting one of the worst burns of my life.

CRAZIEST: Testing with Mercedes Benz as a rally and R & D driver, (didn’t make the cut), had us as passengers in a tricked track car for our final dinner before going home. We knew the driver was one of the best, but when you’re barreling down the M6 doing 160 and the cars don’t move out of the way †he’d tap them from behind. Not one car, but several, if he came up on them and they tried to out run him, he’d weld it to the floor till he tapped them. This was insane, and when asked about what the H*ll he was doing, his response was as cool as cream â€(use your Hogan`s Hero`s accents and say): “It’s road courtesy and the law to allow the faster car to pass long before he’s upon you, but, sometimes you have to remind them with a little tap on the tuukusâ€

WORST (& only funny now): There are several in this category with some from my rally days filled with tragedy, but the funniest of the worst was on Thanksgiving 1985, running pretty late for the Big Bird Dinner, going out to my parents house in West Jersey on a newly opened, virtually deserted highway, Rt. 78, (well, it was new back then). I had a factory team rally Saab 900 Turbo that was state-of-the-art for it’s time, endless aero mod’s, a tweaked motor & turbo and a water injection system for the intercooler. I had 22 miles to go with not a car in sight †so I stood on it. Maxing out around 160 I had just blast passed a Trooper waiting in the median. Waiting to see his light go on and pull out †but that never happened. Over a few more inclines and my exit would be coming up, so I kept the pace, saw taillights up ahead, slowing gradually, I can see there’s more than 1 set of taillights †at once it seemed as if there were 4 squad cars, all turning their lights on at once. Essentially, you can’t out run the radio! As I came up on them they motioned me to the shoulder. Was told by every officer that you just shouldn`t do anything wrong on a night like Turkey Day †as there’s nothing making a good mood out of an officer who can’t be with his family on that holiday, and I was going to pay. To cut the story to the ‘worst part’ †I spent that night locked up. The county judge imposed maximum fines for a barrage of tickets, including one that read 168 in a 55 – and since I had ‘doubled the speed limit’ this allowed him to add the following; Endangering The Welfare Of Others. That charge was a jail able offense and I was sentenced to 8 weekends of garbage cleanup with the Hunterdon County Inmates. Yup, 8 weekends of the orange jump-suit, endless beeping and shouts of what losers we all were (and other things I can’t post here) being yelled by passing motorists.

Hope you all enjoyed as much as I’ve enjoyed yours.

P.S. – No, I haven’t learned my lesson – 22 year later I had it up to 162 in the Porsche this summer. Who needs drugs when we’ve got good motoring in clean sleds to do.

Safe & Ticket-Less Motoring to you all.
    SaintlySins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage
    You`re not kidding. I routinely drive 80+ on I-90 and that`s with the flow of traffic. I`ve heard of guys getting tix on there for going too slow. I-355 is a good one to go fast on too. I haven`t tried the new southern extension from I-55 to I-80. Will have to try that this weekend.

I have cut loose on 355 but kicked it down around Roosevelt Road to Ogden because of the State troopers that hang out there. This included one with a green Z28.

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread Information