Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering what is one of the better quality chrome polishes out there? I tried Turtle Wax Express Shine and Mothers Chrome Polish. Neither worked very well for me and I was wondering if anyone has tried Turtle Wax`s Chrome Polish or I think Eagle 1 has one, not totally sure. Did they work?

Or if someone else recommends a product please feel free to offer me suggestions. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish. This stuff is inexpensive, easy to use and works well imho.

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep hearing about "chrome polish", but have never read a post from anyone who have a vehicle here which is over 15 years old.

Guess there is "real chrome" still being used that I have missed.

There is very, very little "real chrome" on today`s vehicles, so what is that all are attempting to use such a product on??

Not being to much of a Sm--t A--, just in my work with the vehicle manufacturers, don`t see any real "nickel chrome" on vehicles.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have chrome rims on my Mustang

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used Meguiar`s, Mother`s, and some trucker`s chrome polish that I had picked up at a truck stop. All those products worked fine...at least I thought. The paste/liquid was a bit messy if you put too much on and left behind a residue if it got into little nooks and crannies. I picked up a jar of NeverDull after reading favorable reviews. It comes in a metal tin with some cotton/wadding material that is soaked in the polish "stuff". Rip a small piece off and start cleaning whatever you have to clean....it was never any easier!

I`m *very* happy with NeverDull..just wished I had tried this out before! What was I waiting for??!!!

My husband`s car is a `87 Volvo 760 Turbo sedan -it has chrome all over the place! One day I decided to surprise him by giving the old car the special treatment - so I washed and waxed and shined up the chrome (and there`s alot of it!) with Mother`s Chrome Polish - this stuff worked great - it is a liquid - just follow the directions and you won`t be disappointed - and it`s not too expensive either

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    there are LOTS of chrome wheels out there. Over the past 4 years, Chrome Polish has went from being our number 16 selling item to number 5.

Look at Cadillac, Ford, Lexus, etc - all offer chrome plated wheels as an option, not to mention the aftermarket wheels sold.

I have chrome wheels on 2 of my 5 cars..
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    But most of those people don`t really need a CHROME polish, as I would say some or maybe even most chrome OEM wheels are clearcoated. A coat of wax will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never seen a clear coated chrome plated wheel. However, I have seen lots of OE (GM primarily) highly polished aluminum wheels that could pass for chrome with a clearcoat on them.

Chrome is a very hard plating that is quite forgiving. It`s easy to clean (if you`re afraid of acid based cleaners, glass cleaners work very well) and looks good to boot.

The down side - if you get curb rash the wheel must be stripped and replated. Most chrome wheels don`t even rust since they`re aluminum, and not steel like in the old days.

Chrome Polishes are really good for removing brake dust that has built up on the wheel and isn`t removed by just spraying a cleaner on and hosing off.

And, Chrome Polish works really well as a glass cleaner (the rockwell hardness of chrome and glass are close to the same, so what works on one works on the other.

If you ever get that vinyl vapor (or cigarette smoke) on the inside of your windows, and have a tough time removing it, try chrome polish - it`ll make the glass sparkle like you`ve probably never seen before.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    My GM chrome wheels were clear coated on my Z-28, but that could be an exception. Also, you are correct, their are some high polished wheels out there that can pass for chrome. Pontiac put them on trans am WS.6`s and anyone that see`s them swears that they are chrome. They are actually high polished aluminim with a clear coat....

Post Thanks / Like
    Which will pain my Ford blue eyes.

I can`t imagine why Chevrolet would put a soft clear coat over the top of a hard finish like chrome, which slightly degrades the finish.

But, lots of things the General has done confuse me.

Thanks for the tip DK.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Eagle 1 Nevr-Dull, the stuff is sweet! I love using it, it makes me mad that my truck doesnt have more chrome to use it on. Its interesting to use it, but what I do it tear off a wad of it and sort of pull it around the edges to make it bigger and rub it in circular motions on the chrome, and then I have one of the synthetic man-made chamois towels thats like a bathtowel, and buff it off, works AWESOME.

One Trick Pony
    Post Thanks / Like

First Car Show - Mustang Club of Houston Open Car Show

So any of you who have seen my posts lately will remember that I burned my paint doing a last touch up. I got it fixed in time for the show today. Unfortunately, the paint shop decided to "help" by washing and waxing it for me. The "help" resulted in a chamois cloth being used to swirl all of my paint. I did the very best I could to touch it up given the time i was alotted, but there were still swirls and it looked nothing like my first post. I`ll be headed to PAC for more polishing supplies to fix the body shop nonsense.

So, the good news is that thanks to all of the help I received here, I got a Best in Class for 2005-2009 a class of around 20 or so. There were over 100 cars that showed up today. There were lots and lots of swirls surprisingly enough. A big thanks to Luster for the turning the wheels tip... I was the only one who did it and I think it made it pop as you will see below.

I am posting multiple cars from the show leading off with mine. The 1930`s Model A was the Best in Show winner.

Me and my toy

Best in Show
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    ~Vince Lombardi

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking show cars and your stang looks awesome!:drool5:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking Mustang...........Congrats on the win.......:clap:

Some very nice rides, that green GTO brought back memories.....

Thanks for all of the excellent photo`s.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information