Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    is it necessary to open all of the doors and dry off the interior jams and rubber trim after washing? Will it do any harm not to do this? I`m usually so pooped after washing and drying I just let this part go - is this OK? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It won`t hurt anything really, but it`s a clear violation of the Detailers Credo! It`s just 2 more minutes....do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it requires extra effort but is worthwhile. I find that if I don`t do it, water continues to drip out when the car is driven the next time and catches a tremendous amount of dust from the environment. When it dries, you have yet another unsightly mess. I find the same problem if I don`t dry wheels individually.

Tip: You can mist a tiny amount of 3M`s Gloss Enhancer to make the job a bit easier. >>

<strong class=`bbc`>3M(TM) Perfect-It(TM) Gloss Enhancer
    PN 39034[/b]
    description:<em class=`bbc`>

A quick and easy, "spray on/wipe off" product that can recapture that just-waxed look and feel. Excellent for use on dry panels between waxings. Can also be sprayed on panels that are still wet after washing and rinsing, to revitalize your vehicle`s waxed finish while wiping it dry. Excellent for touching up new car finishes. 1pt./16 oz. spray bottle
    [/i]

...sorry about the pic guys...I couldn`t resist.

I also really like to wax those door jambs with Klasse every year or as necessary. Hope that makes sense.

Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen,

I sometimes am tempted to skip the door jams, etc...but Brad`s right, do it right or don`t do it at all. wait, that`s Ron...well, anyway...

I`ve found that one car has lots of hidden areas that water collects in, so I wash, dry, then get in and drive it around the block. Back in the driveway, I open all the doors (and trunk and hood!) and wipe down. This *really* cuts down on water spots caused by renegade droplets. It also keeps those "inside" parts nice & shiny.

Side note, I`m now especially encoraged to do this since I`ve discovered that the Maxima`s front and rear ends get water spotted much more easily than the main panels do. I think the paint it`s because the paint is slightly different due to the plastic somponents.

blue skies,

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    I also open all the doors and the hood and even drop the tailgate on my truck to get all those little drops of water. But I still wind up with water spots after I move the truck. What can you do? I just rewipe.

The one that really gets me is no matter how much you try to stuff a rag in between the outside mirrors and the housing, the minute you move the vehicle, water drops run down the doors. Very frustrating, especially in the winter. I guess that`s why they call it detailing. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    I open up all doors, trunk, hood, and gas tank cover. Water still finds a way to escape this. The tail lights seem prone to this water issue, leaking after a wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    You Are Not Alone!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to love this forum, but now I`m beginning to wonder. Every time I log on I learn there`s something else I have to do or else I`m nothing but a Philistine pretender:

1) First I found out I can`t just wash my car. I have to dry it, too.

2) I can`t just use any old car wash. I have to spill them all on the garage floor and see which one causes me to slip and break my neck so I get the proper lubricity. Lubricity . . ?

3) And to dry the car, I have to use ultra expensive space-age boutique towels that I have to throw away if I drop them on the ground because they capture all debris within a twelve-inch radius with an unbreakable grip. I can`t even use a 100% pure cotton towel without first burning it to a crisp to make sure the manufacturer didn`t sneak in some polyester.

4) You`ld think you could use Windex, a product designed specifically for windows, on your windows, but nooo....

5) But it`s OK to use peanut butter.

6) I had to get rid of all my cats. And my neighbors` as well.

7) Then I find out that using my nine cases of baby oil is a definite no-no.

8) And get this. I`m supposed to wash my TIRES! And inside the wheel wells!

9) Now, on this very thread, I`m told that if I don`t dry the inside of my door jams I`m violating some kind of sacred credo or something like that.

10) But all this pales in comparison to finding out that I can`t even close my car door without using my butt . . . and I can`t even do that if I`n not wearing MicroFiber jeans.

Next thing I know, you`ll be telling me I have to detail the INSIDE of my car.

I think I`ll just pour myself another Duff and then go out and try to hack off the rest of that Klasse SG I put on last week.

Post Thanks / Like
    I not only opened and cleaned the inside of the gas cover..I 303`d the inside as well. Wow! The whole thing inside fitting is one big piece of shiny black plastic....looks great now.

blue skies,

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats good, I actually laughed outloud on that reply. That has to be a classic for all to take notice. I hope you don`t mind if I add one more:

<strong class=`bbc`>Driving in the rain is taboo.[/b]

My wife and daughters thinks I`m nuts when I tell them to re-think their driving habits, espically after I just spent 6 hours on the cars.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    my hood, doorjams, and trunk are all lined with microfiber material, I don`t have to dry like you guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Bear in mind that one of the first posts on this forum was from some guy asking about using 303 on the dipstick O-ring during engine detailing.

As for residual water droplets, you could do what I do, which is to live in an area which has soft water and soft rain (= no water spots )

Bruce, you forgot the engine detailing mongoose (I wish I could too, but the imagery remains too strong in my mind...)
    ~Footy

My lawyers have advised me to say nothing until the results of the blood test come through...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce, a truly classic post. I liked how you remember that slipping on car shampoo piece to help verify its lubrication abilities. The microfiber pants comment is also very close to my heart. Laters.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very tired after fulling detailing my car that I skip the door jams and spaces on my trunk (not on purpose). What I like to do is let it dry then hit it with some Quick Detailer. Most of the time I forget to dry it so waterspots appear.

But some Meguiars Quick Detailer takes the water spots out and cleans it up nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    I open the hood, doors, trunk and dry the gas cap after each wash. It only takes a couple of extra minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information