Post Thanks / Like

Detailed: Mercedes Benz S55 AMG

Hello everyone. It`s been a long time since I`ve done a write up on a detail. I`ve recently moved into a new shop. I simply love it. It`s an established business (fast lube oil change) which helps out my business dramatically. They do 30 oil changes a day and I`m getting 2 details a day plus 2-3 wash and vacuums. I`ve hired an assistant and maybe getting one more part timer. Well that`s enough about what I`ve been up to.

This car is owned by the above mentioned business` president. Her husband passed away a few years ago and left her this beautiful car. She had me pick it up and simply said "Make it new again." It was dark when I delivered it to the shop but the interior was immaculate. How bad could the exterior be? Well the next day it was sunny and boy oh boy, the sun doesn`t lie. It was bad. I didn`t even ask how the hood got so damaged. Let`s just say this was my largest detail to date by man hours. Twenty hours total in just the paint.

Here` is the process.......

Engine Bay......
    The engine was sprayed with ZEP`s Industrial Degreaser at 4:1. I let it sit for 5 minutes while I washed all of the under the hood paint by hand. I then "steamed" the bay. Man it`s nice to have a steam pressure washer. Once dried, the plastics were treated with Meguiar`s Hyper Dressing (4:1) while all painted areas were cleaned and protected with Meguiar`s D-151 Reconditioning Cream.

Wheels, Tires, and Wells......
    The wheels were first treat with Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener at 4:1. I had a least an hour devoted into each wheel. I used 3 different brushes then pressure was with steam. Once dried, they were cleaned and protected with DuraGloss` #501.
    The tires and wells received ZEP`s Industrial Degreaser at 4:1. They were brushed then dried. The wells were sprayed with Meguiar`s All Season Dressing. The tires were treated with Tireific`s long lasting tire coating. It dried hard and has last six weeks on my personal vehicles and threw numerous washes.

Paint Compounding......
    (Meguiar`s #105 (DA) via G110 & LC`s Lo Pro Orange 5.5 pads)
    This was a long process. I used Kevin Brown`s process but the paint was bad. It took three passes on the hood alone........and it`s a big hood.
    Here are a few shots of 105 at work.....

Paint Polishing.........
    (Meguiar`s #205 & D-151 via G110 & LC`s Lo Pro Black 5.5 pads)
    No, I didn`t use them at the same time. I used 205 first and then came back over the paint with D-151 for added protection and to ensure and flawless finishe. 205 can be stronger than you think. D-151 compliments it very well and I love the look it leaves. All glass was treated with it as well.

Paint Protection.......
    Lusso Oro was the choice to top it with. This car will be garage kept and will be driven 1 a month so durability is not an issue. We wanted looks and Lusso handled it well. All the jams were coated with Lusso as well. The car`s paint got 2 coats in all.

Interior.......
    It was vac`d out and wiped down with Meguiar`s APC at 6:1. The leather was treated with Lexol. Very underated in my book. The glass was treated with Stoner`s Invisible Glass (liquid form). Very simple.

Before`s......

Inside after the wash.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Afters....

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great write-up Justin on the MB S55, your work shows how nice it came out:thumbup::
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!!! nice work, i thought the car was blue until i saw the after pics. how many hours did that refurbish take....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc View Post
    WOW!!! nice work, i thought the car was blue until i saw the after pics. how many hours did that refurbish take....
    Engine bay......
    3 hours
    Interior.....
    3 hours
    All four wheels....
    4 hours
    Paint correction and protection.....
    20 hours

30 hours total

Post Thanks / Like
    Sehr stattlich!! Wunderbar! :thumbup: Great work

Post Thanks / Like

Now those are some MAJOR LEAGUE swirls! Nice work on the AMG!
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice work on that Mercedes!
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post

Now those are some MAJOR LEAGUE swirls! Nice work on the AMG!
    The hood was even worse. I finally found out today why. It was covered in dirt and someone at that shop used a terry bath towel to wipe it clean......DRY! Looked like steel wool had been used on it. 105 and the KBM saved my butt on this one. 205 is a hidden gem as well. Next up is #86. I`m hearing from a good "source" that it`s underrated as well. If you haven`t used D-151, you need to. I`m getting 6+ weeks of beading and it`s awesome as a finishing polish. It does fill some if you work it fast but with the KBM, it can finish out flawless. I`ve checked after several IPA wiped downs.

Thread Information