Post Thanks / Like

Premium Detailed 2005 Honda Shadow Sabre (severe overspray!)

A month ago I received a call from a guy named Jason who was looking for some overspray removal on his motorcycle. I gave him a basic quote over the phone and he said he’d be in touch. About a week later Jason calls me back to see when I would be able to come out and take a look at his bike and give him a real world estimate. I showed up at Jason’s storage unit where he and his friend store their motorcycles when they aren’t riding them and looked over both bikes. Both bikes were severely saturated with orange overspray. The storage facility had recently had their exterior doors repainted in bright orange automotive urethane paint. Apparently the overspray snuck its way into the cracks and settled on the bikes. The painter was contacted and he suggested Jason get an estimate for repair, that’s where I came in. Two more weeks went by and I received another call from Jason to schedule an appointment to get the bikes taken care of. I was in the middle of the detail on the first bike when Jason got a call from the painter asking where I was doing the detail. The painter was sending over another guy with a black 2005 Honda Shadow that also had overspray. Joel finally arrived as I was finishing the first of the two bikes. He looked over my work on the first bike and called the painter to tell him he wanted me to do the work. He then went to pick up his bike and drove it over for me to give an estimate. The first two bikes took me 5 hours each to remove the overspray and polish back out. The third bike, the Honda, was a different story! This bike was 100 times worse than the first two in the other unit! This is the bike that this write up is about. A 34 hour investment went into this bike and it turned out amazing! I learned a ton about overspray removal on this detail! I am now the self-proclaimed overspray removal master (lol)!

Here are a couple of pictures of the first two bikes from this situation after they were completed

2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

2004 Suzuki GSXR 600

The process of the 2005 Honda Shadow Sabre:

I just want to state that the overspray was extremely cured and bonded to every surface of this motorcycle.

Paint:
    Overspray was removed with Clay Magic Red medium clay and diluted ONR as lube
    (this left severe marring, but it was the only thing that would remove the overspray)

Compounded with G110 and LC 4” spot buff orange pad with Meguiars M105

Polished with G110 and LC 4”spot buff white pad with Meguiars M205

Sealed with Poorboys World EX-P sealant (12 hour cure time)

Waxed with Poorboys World Natty’s Red paste wax

Finished off with Meguiars Last Touch quick detail spray

Chrome:
    Overspray was removed with Clay Magic Red medium clay and Meguiars APC+ as lube diluted 5:1 (the overspray was very well bonded to the chrome)

Polished by hand with M105 (on deeper marred areas and) Mothers Chrome Polish

Sealed by hand with Optimum Metal Polish

Seat:
    Overspray was actually removed from the seat with Optimum Power Clean at 100% and 4 Magic Erasers

The seat was very dry after the overspray removal so I applied 3 coats 1 hour apart of Surf City Garage VooDoo Leather Rejuvenator.

Whew, now on with the detail!

Here are the before shots of the bike and the overspray. It looks like metal flake, huh?

This is the seat (later you will see what a PITA this was!)

And of course it was all swirled and hologrammed up prior to the crazy overspray, but I took care of that too!

Now the detail!

I started by trying Pinnacle Poly Clay and diluted ONR as lube, but the overspray was laughing in my face!

I quickly realized that I was getting nowhere with this so I grabbed some Clay Magic Red and Viola!

It was kind of working on the chrome, but not completely so I sprayed some APC+ on it and got back to claying.

After claying the paint

A few during shots

It was very difficult to clean the spots off the fins of the engine

Just an odometer shot

A couple of 50/50’s after M105 (sorry, the sun was in and out so these 2 are the best that turned out)

Here is a shot of the seat after orange dot removal

Here is one during conditioning

Soaking in the second coat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Premium Detailed 2005 Honda Shadow Sabre (severe overspray!)

Now for some afters!

Now a coat of Natty’s Red

A few camera flash shots. I was not after 100% correction as you can tell by the few RIDS that were left over.

Pretty chrome

After of the seat

And a final shot upon delivery! An ecstatic owner a and happy thumbs up!

I must say that this detail was extremely challenging and one of the most difficult I have ever done. I am very pleased to have had this opportunity and for it to have turned out so well. I love a good challenge!

Thank you for viewing my write up!

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible turn around.

Bikes are a pain. Never did mine real well. Not enough patience for those small places.
    Lot of time, lots of fine fine detail.
    Tell the guy to go put on another mile. The reason it happend is odometer read 666 for milage.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job. I know that owner was super pleased.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve done a few bikes and can say that I hate them..to much work for me. But there is a great market for detailing them...Some of the HD are really expensive!!!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Thread Information