Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First full detail of my truck for a show

I am pretty new to this site but i have learned a good deal since becoming a member. Thanks for all the helpful information.

I had to do a complete detail on my 2005 Silverado for a local car/truck show. Total time spent was about 17 hours maybe a little more. I was so into getting it done that I forgot to take as many pics as I wanted to.

Products used:

Body
    Wash: Pre soaked in Dawn, then washed with dawn.
    Clay: Clay Magic (blue clay)
    Wet sand with 2000 grit on the bad scratches
    First Polish: Poorboy`s SSR 2.5 with a yellow pad for bedsides and hood and Orange Lake County pad for the rest using a Porter Cable 7424.
    Second Polish: PoorBoy`s SSR 1 on a white Lake County pad.
    Wax: Natty`s blue
    Cleanup: PoorBoy`s spray and wipe

Plastic mirrors, tonneau, plastic bumpers, dash, door panels and other misc interior parts all done with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Chrome wheels needed some special attention after this winter and a power ball with Meguiar`s Hot Rims was not enough. I had to break out my dremel with a few 3/4 inch polishing wheels. They actually came out really nice.

I had some Mother`s tire shine product around and that is what I ended up going with. They are a bit bright for my liking but it works.

Under the hood I washed everything down with simple green and finished it off with CD2 engine detailer.

Chrome bumpers were cleaned using PoorBoy`s spay and wipe. I keep them in pretty decent condition.

Because it was my first show with the truck I spent some extra time and cleaned the wheel wells and then sprayed them and the underbody with Bare Bones Undercarriage Spray. That stuff made everything look better than new.

Sorry for the limited pics.

Bad scratches on the bed

Tinted tail lights before polishing

Hood before

Scratched hood after clay

More scratches in the hood

Hood after wet sand, SSR2.5 and SSR1

Bed side after wet sand, SSR2.5 and SSR1

After everything (tails came out nice)

Please no comments about my grass. I know it needs more work than the truck.

Thanks for looking and if you see something that I could have improved on feel free to let me know.

Oh and I didn`t win in the show but one of the guys that was there with me did. I also got some good comments that made the hard work worth it.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First full detail of my truck for a show

excelent job!! that paint is simply beautiful. I can not see one thing in those pics that needs improvement

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good for a Chevy.

Official Wax Waster atkinsonair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, dont mind Troy, he knows detailing but not trucks,

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible !!!!

That flake pops !
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice job man,I like the paint underhood,the bowtie in the tails.I never used 303 on the outside before,it really looks good.Crazy shine on those rims.

Just my 2cents I`d wipe the tire shine one more time or try out a different one.A little too shiny imo.And it could just be the angle and lighting but the front bumper plastic looks like it could use another wipe.MMM I love a freshly detailed chevy

Post Thanks / Like

Everything looks great except the tires are over done. I would wipe them with paper towels to make a natural look instead of the high shine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Everything looks great except the tires are over done. I would wipe them with paper towels to make a natural look instead of the high shine

Agreed. Tire shine is a personal preference. Some like them very shiny. I, on the other hand, do not. I prefer a dark, matte look. Other than that, looks good. Nice job!

AJ Auto Detail, LLC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Really nice job man,I like the paint underhood,the bowtie in the tails.I never used 303 on the outside before,it really looks good.Crazy shine on those rims.

Just my 2cents I`d wipe the tire shine one more time or try out a different one.A little too shiny imo.And it could just be the angle and lighting but the front bumper plastic looks like it could use another wipe.MMM I love a freshly detailed chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blk45 View Post
    Agreed. Tire shine is a personal preference. Some like them very shiny. I, on the other hand, do not. I prefer a dark, matte look. Other than that, looks good. Nice job!
    blk said it before i did. tire shine is a personal preference. maybe he lives them glossy?

NICE WORK MAN! NOTHING LEFT OUT!!!
    AJ Auto Detail, LLC

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. The tires were way to glossy. I wiped them down again when I got to the show. That was probably why I had the Mother`s laying around. I just forgot how much it shined. I am definitely changing products to something more matte.

The everything that was coated with the 303 on the outside got one more coat when I pulled into the spot at the show. It seemed to soak in more over night. this morning even after some rain it is still holding up nicely.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

good job ..so how did you do at the show
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

There were over 700 cars and trucks and in my class there were around 200 trucks. sadly they did not break it into truck type. I was the only regular cab short bed truck there that was lowered. I was beat by someone there with me, He has a newer Silverado that is all blacked out, lifted, custom air brushing under the hood. I am pretty sure it was a peoples choice award. I did get a ton of comments that made me feel good about the work I put into the truck so that made me happy. The next big show is in Carlisle PA in August and I should have a new roll pan and front bumper covers as well as a painted grill and new wheels by then. I feel the need to get rid of all chrome.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpdJunkie View Post
    There were over 700 cars and trucks and in my class there were around 200 trucks. sadly they did not break it into truck type. I was the only regular cab short bed truck there that was lowered. I was beat by someone there with me, He has a newer Silverado that is all blacked out, lifted, custom air brushing under the hood. I am pretty sure it was a peoples choice award. I did get a ton of comments that made me feel good about the work I put into the truck so that made me happy. The next big show is in Carlisle PA in August and I should have a new roll pan and front bumper covers as well as a painted grill and new wheels by then. I feel the need to get rid of all chrome.
    sounds like you got the show bug

better watch your wallet
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Your right, I do have the bug. The changes are mainly for me. I love working on my truck but I also enjoy sharing what I have done and hearing comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, your truck looks great, nice job! Any performance mods besides the K&N?

Edit; Just noticed something else....did you upgrade the wiring to the alternator?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information