Thread: Porsche 911

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Porsche 911

I`ve always had a special place in my heart for Porsches. They were one of the reasons I started detailing to begin with. This one belongs to a friend of a friend and has been on my list of cars to do since last fall. It was in pretty sad shape. It took 4 hours on the nose to do inside and out and everything in between. The process was NXT wash, Clay Magic clay, Four Star Medium Cut Compound w/ PC & Edge 2000 Blue, and Wolfgang Paint Sealant. I`ve got some video that I need to upload that shows a walk around before and after that really shows off the work a little better, but these show it off pretty well. The only thing I realize I missed is the sun in the hood shot to show the swirl removal there. The 4* MCC did a great job at removing the swirls though. It is one of the great unsung products that is out there.

Before:

After:

And, of course, the obligitory money shot.

~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porsche 911

WOW, that 996 was swirled badly!

Nice job in getting that back to the way it should look like!! Damn that looks so much better!

Find the paint a bit soft? Mine sure is!! Got to go slower than normal with the rotary.

Oh yea, tell him/her to change the side markers from those nasty amber lenses to the clear ones! It will look so much better with the clears on!

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job on the Porsche. I never will understand why people that own that nice of a vehicle will allow the finish to get swirled that badly.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, nice job!

Post Thanks / Like

The paint did seem a bit soft. It polished out really easily with the medium cut. I didn`t try using a light cut first, although now I`m kind of curious if that would have been effective.

This car had been punished a bit too much. For being his baby, it was pretty messed up. The front has the usual rock chips from driving from Highland to Salt Lake every day (there is a gravel pit on the way with lots of gravel trucks getting on and off the freeway), but other than that it didn`t have much other damage. The swirls are definitely a result of some of his washing techniques. Washing and drying with rags and bath towels for example... Shameful. You should have heard the condition of his paint. I felt like I was touching 300 grit sand paper and not the surface of a Porsche. Nothing that the clay couldn`t handle, but man..... that was just terrible. The surface isn`t 100% perfect right now, but it is way better than what it was. I`m sure I could have cut it down with a more agressive pad and polish and then polished out the haze for absolute perfection, but his objective was to get it back to looking decent since he was planning on getting the hood and bumper repainted anyway. I told him what was possible if he wanted me to spend another couple hours on it, but he wasn`t looking for that I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

You did the right thing on cut/pads even though yes it`s soft, but finish was WAAAY too bad for normal light correction. Sure, going a bit softer is better, but you did want to do it in less time. Besides, next time it will give you the opportunity to try a bit lighter cut and pad to quickly perfect it even more.

Looks like he ran it through many tunnel wash sites and if he did wash it on his own, I hope you showed him the right way!

I`ll tell you, Porsche black is soft as all hell. You look at it the wrong way and it will scratch. That`s also why I did the paint film as well. But I have to remove it all and do some correction on my finish. It`s way overdue!

Hope you got to drive that 997... These are fun as all hell!

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)

Post Thanks / Like

The thing just wasn`t pleasant to look at at all. He said the straw that broke the camel`s back was when he couldn`t get some soap streaks off the hood. lol Take a look at this video of the walk around the car. I accidently was covering up the mic at the beginning so you can`t hear how bad that paint was. It was painful to touch it.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap, that`s bad!!

Did the clay just say "What? Are you nuts?" when it came out? I can`t even imagine the feel!!

Get him to change those side markers! ugh!

Nice work from the previous views.... I hope you gave him enough info so it will not happen again!

Also, if you ever do one with PCCB`s (yellow calipers) be VERY careful on the rotors! The hats are stainless steel, but if you remove wheels for full detail, you need TWO wheel "hanger" studs so not to wack the rotor. If you do, expect to shell out up to $5K PER ROTOR! Another thing, when wet (soaked), they do not stop well until dry. Found that out the hard way. These are great brakes, but have drawbacks as you can tell.

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job !!! What a turn around !!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work...amazing turnaround...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Nice save there.
    Looks great.

Thread Information