Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Camaro SS SPS Graphene coating

Quote Originally Posted by wristymanchego View Post
    Great, further clarification would be nice.

Graphene has been around for a long time however its application potential is still being realised. It’s a lot like Blockchain; revolutionary technology however it is currently being used to make people rich by trading a currency with no value. It’s true application and benefit to society is yet to be found and practiced.

They may have a chemist but unless they’re a large multinational with a NASA size R&D department (like ford and Sony), they aren’t developing the graphene structure and application process. They’re simply buying in graphite and looking for a way to stick it to cars to be the first on the market.

It’s fine for a business to do this, but it’s important for detailers to have a broader perspective on how product development works so they can make a more informed decision about a product without all the smoke. Especially when something new walks into town.

If in fact these guys have some ground breaking application for the automotive industry, all power to them but it must be demonstrated before anyone believes. Remember when people believed ceramic was the holy grail because ```` made with ceramic is ultra hard and doesn’t scratch? Same thing here until proof.

Fancy getting a key to that Camaro?

Also, in the interest of having a community where that smoke is reduced (because we all need to see what we’re doing), please keep in mind that mentioning some of these details in the original post is important for quality and looking after your fellow detailer. If you have already posted about this before, fine, but perhaps mention it, not just the mysterious product name and a photo of a nice car.

It ends up reading like a shill post instead of something useful for the community.

The coating is this chemist’s side gig. His day job is R & D with a major corporation I guess you could say a cousin to one you listed.

The post is in the detailer showcase. Usually when the name of a coating and type of vehicle are listed in the title in this area it means the car had a paint correction and was coated with the mentioned coating.

Not that it matters, but this coating was a long time in the making and kept under wraps. The post was mainly for the very few I’ve discussed the product with. If it creates some curiosity at the same time, so be it. I’m not affiliated with the company in any way. I don’t care if people buy it or not. Just giving some to a few people for them to test.

The Camaro is a twin to mine other than color and we have different mods.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s a pro only coating, with some qualified exceptions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    The coating is this chemist’s side gig. His day job is R & D with a major corporation I guess you could say a cousin to one you listed.

The post is in the detailer showcase. Usually when the name of a coating and type of vehicle are listed in the title in this area it means the car had a paint correction and was coated with the mentioned coating.

Not that it matters, but this coating was a long time in the making and kept under wraps. The post was mainly for the very few I’ve discussed the product with. If it creates some curiosity at the same time, so be it. I’m not affiliated with the company in any way. I don’t care if people buy it or not. Just giving some to a few people for them to test.

The Camaro is a twin to mine other than color and we have different mods.
    Normally posts in this section outline the vehicle, the process, the products and the result. You wrote “SPS Graphene coating is finally shipping” and posted photos which seems more focussed around your personal interest and relationship with this company/coating than the community.

Make it showcase focussed or product focussed, either is fine but throwing down ambiguous posts doesn’t really help anyone except they get to see pics of a nice car.

Put it this way, if you were a company or had an affiliation, taking the post as it is, it would be deleted because it’s advertising/promotion. It provides nothing but a name drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Would be interesting to see it on a test panel and test the benefits of this coating.

The car looks great. Do you have the ability to follow up how the coating is doing down the road? And is there any difference in the maintance of this vs a SiO2 based coating?

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I’d be curious to know who actually makes it? Most coatings are all made by one or two factories. Only a very few make they’re own as does Modesta.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I’d be curious to know who actually makes it? Most coatings are all made by one or two factories. Only a very few make they’re own as does Modesta.
    Is this true, Mike? Yes, there is some skepticism on my part, like all gasolines are refined by one or two refineries, but the additives are what make them "unique" blends sold as a specific name brand.

How this "Graphene" coating ease of application, performance/protection/longevity, its price or cost, and consumer availability are more important to me as a hobbyist detailer. If this is a pro-only coating, like Modesta, then it is not for me. I understand exclusivity and limited supply; like Ferrari is not a mass-production high-volume vehicle manufacturer; but it is a top-technology, no costs barred, highly sought-after sports car for those who can afford it and enjoy it.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Was told by a very reliable person in the industry

Post Thanks / Like

I question this.

SiO2 isn’t rocket science for a chemist. It’s silica dioxide which can be ordered in by the barrel. Mix it with your surfactant of choice (the expensive part) and some carrier solvents.

Sure there is a lot more knowledge and R&D that goes into the process but what I’m trying to illustrate is that it isn’t some mysterious formula that would be difficult for a chemist in the field to put together.

The hurdle is in the cost of a scaled operation, which is where a lot of manufactures would then seek to have the base made for them and modified to suit their particular requirements.

This process is actually simpler with graphene. It’s graphite and a surfactant that make graphene in a crude form. Which is why I was suggesting it was thrown in to this product and will be hailed a revolution.

Interestingly it’s as easy as throwing some graphite into a mix and it will improve a product’s strength, conductivity, UV resistance, hardness etc however its not utilising the full potential of graphene.

Adding a small amount of crude graphene to a polyester blend resulted in increased material strength by 50%.

Graphene in its strongest form is actually a sheet, atoms thick, interlocked to produce the worlds strongest material with the benefits of flexibility and transparency. This process is difficult to master and even more difficult to retain those characteristics in a working form.

Extra reading:
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...and-a-blender/

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

There are various companies that produce different coatings. Generally speaking, when one is employed by one of those type of companies the employee has no rights to ownership of any patents, therefore anything he is working on is solely owned by the company. If this was a truly cutting edge product, then who owns the patent and what is the patent number? This info alone would provide enough info to determine if the product is revolutionary.

Maybe it is cutting edge and the chemist is licensing use of the base product from XXX company and tweaking the formula for a non competitive use.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don’t think 2 factories make all the coatings based on my dealings with Alibaba. I’ve talked direct to manufacturers in China, S. Korea, and Japan. Some coatings are touted as made in USA and I know one coating is made in Germany (Polish Angel). Some coatings are coming out of Eastern Europe, but I don’t know where they are manufactured. There is a manufacturer in Malaysia (IGL).

Based on all of this got to be way more than 2. Budgetplan1 may have more information since he is on Facebook with a bunch of coating junkies. I tried to join but they never got back to me.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

in have no dog in this fight... but it appears on the surface whom ever get`s Graphene to work better than SiO₂ is going to make 3% of a lot of detailing industry money

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Budgetplan1 may have more information since he is on Facebook with a bunch of coating junkies. I tried to join but they never got back to me.
    I think it`s like the old Zaino urban legends that prompted folks to drive around NJ looking for the production facility.

In the end, nothing was proven or disproven as nobody ever had any eyes-on, first hand evidence one way or the other. Same with this topic everytime I see it brought up.

Are there really only 2 places that produce coatings for the vast majority? The world may never know.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not produce the coatings but the chemical used in coatings. Then it`s not so easy as they all are pure Sio2 in liquid form or powder. Their are a lot of ways to tune chemicals with different mixes that reacts different. And reaction is on a molecule level where some atoms switches out when reaction with such as air or water and other chemicals. Hydrocarbon based coatings is one that is used and you have different strings of sio2 and tio2 coatings. If you only put Sio2 and a carrier solvent to get it to bond to the paint. I don`t think you would get the most effective coating that way. It`s not going to be slick to the touch. Look at DPC 10% slickness in that I would bet is from a silicone oil that is blended with the Sio2. Others mix in resins to amp up the gloss and get a thicker coating layer with the Sio2. That`s is what makes coatings different what they use to make it behave in different ways as the chemist design the caractics of the coating. Some excells in some ways and to get one certain caractics it can degrade another part of the behavior. Would it be so easy that it`s different procentage of Sio2 only in a coating. We would have coatings that is the same all over all brands and all Sio2 products too. SiO2 is just one chemical that has it`s benefits and downside in a ceramic coating. The rest of the mixed chemicals is what makes them apart from each other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information