Post Thanks / Like

Dear Abby : Q and A from emails...

Part One:

I do a lot of technical support for Autopia-CarCare, which often means answering questions about car detailing... I will be periodically updating this thread (post) with emails I receive and my responses in hopes of helping anybody who has these questions.

I was recently watching a video on paint jeweling. The video said to use a light pad and no pressure very slowly. However I have read on your form that you want to use pressure and speed. What pads should I use? Speed? Polish? Car is a 2012 porsche with balsalt black.

Thanks
    Harold

Harold,

Jeweling is term that has changed a lot in the short time it has been used. Thus, there is really no right way to jewel paint or wrong way. As long as you are bringing paint to it`s absolute highest gloss potential, you can use the term "jeweling."

I first started using the term jeweling to describe a process I used to use with a rotary polisher about 5 years ago. Basically, to ensure there would be visible swirl marks or holograms, I would use an pad with little mechanical action (cut) and an ultra-fine polish. I would burnish the polish into the paint with medium-to-light pressure and slowly reduce rpm.

The term has morphed since those days, and really includes a number of definitions and instructions. So instead of worrying about the term, let`s look at the general ways to achieve the highest gloss possible, based on machine type:

For a random orbital, dual-action polisher such as a Porter Cable, Griot`s Garage (3 and 6 inch), Meguiar`s G110v2 or any of the BigFoot Rupes` Polishers you want to:
    • Use a pad that is stiff yet soft. Using too soft of a pad will eliminate the orbital action from occurring on the paint and greatly reduce the polisher`s ability to extract maximum gloss.
    • Use firm, not hard, pressure and maintain pressure for the entire polishing cycle. Do not reduce pressure towards the end!
    • Reduce speed, not pressure, towards the end of the polishing cycle. This changes the pattern the machine produces (by allowing more orbit`s per rotation) and extracts extra gloss.
    • Use the correct polishing cycle time - This will vary from polish to polish, pad to pad, etc. Best advice is to experiment. You want to polish long enough to transfer the abrasive imprints to the paint in an uniform manner, ensure proper abrasive breakdown while avoiding contamination build up and polish drying. Only way to know is experiment!
    • Polish a small section, about two feet x two feet squared.
    • Make at least 6 to 8 section passes over the section (cover all of the area 6 to 8 times.

For a rotary polisher, such as a FLEX PE14-2-150, Makita 9227c or DeWalt 849-series, you want to use a little different technique:

• Reduce pressure and speed as you near the end of the polishing section.
    • Use a pad that has almost no mechanical action. A little cutting action is prefered to provide the friction necessary to polish the paint.
    • Begin with firm pressure and around 1200 RPM. Gradually reduce both as the polish breaks down.
    • Make 6 to 8 passes over the section area. Most polishes respond best with an additional 2 passes made at very low RPM and very light pressure.
    • Use the correct polishing cycle time - This will vary from polish to polish, pad to pad, etc. Best advice is to experiment. You want to polish long enough to transfer the abrasive imprints to the paint in an uniform manner, ensure proper abrasive breakdown while avoiding contamination build up and polish drying. Only way to know is experiment!

For forced rotation, dual action polishers such as FLEX 3401 or Makita "TwoMode", you need a technique that is slightly in the middle.
    • Use a pad that has a slight cutting power and stiffness.
    • Reduce pressure throw the polishing cycle (you don`t have to, but can reduce speed as well).
    • Make 6 to 8 passes over the section area that would measure about 2 square feet by 2 square feet.

For forced rotation and random orbital polishers, I like using the Lake Country White CCS pads or the Lake Country Hydro-Tech Crimson Pads. On a Rupe`s Bigfoot, I will use their white finishing pad.

For rotary polishers, I prefer the black/gray Lake Country style pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dear Abby : Q and A from emails...

saved.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first time I have read about using a white LC pad with getting maximum gloss with the Flex!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread to check on periodically! Thanks for making it Todd. It`s good to have common questions and professional answers organized into one central place.

Thread Information