Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The DA Cutting Pad Show Down

I`m not surprised the Meg`s pad is at the top. I am surprised at the overall cutting and finishing ability of the LC yellow pad, especially the finishing. I`ve read that its weakness is finishing, but that obviously wasn`t the case in this test. The foam pads in this test would do even better with the 3401, at least for removing defects.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd, if you used M105 in this test, do you feel the ultra fiber pads would have ranked near the top of all categories? Do you prime the ultra fiber pad when using M105?

Post Thanks / Like

Great job. This was really informative to a person like myself and really helps clarify some of the pad use questions I have had stirring around in my head.

I do have a question though. Since my car doesn`t need heavy correction how about a similar article for finishing pads? If it has been done I guess I need to look for it, although I have only been a member for less then a year I don`t recall seeing one done in that time frame. The reason I ask is because since I am a novice and have used a rotary a couple times years and years ago I didn`t want to mess with one and bought a DA last year. I have only used it a few times for polishing and numerous times for waxing but the last time I polished even though it seemed to look great when I was done to me it still looks like it has a haze or a slight fog to it in the right light, black paint of course. So I am not sure if I used the correct pads/polish. I did see the thread that was done on polishes and that was great information.

Thank you for the very helpful information.

Dean.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a $5000.00 write-up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colinpd137 View Post
    Bookmarking this, friggen awesome review Todd!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post
    Really really nice article Todd. The heat numbers were very interesting.

Which bp did you use for the test, Megs or LC?

Will you be taking a vote for the next compound to test with the same setup?
    Not sure I will do this with another compound (reasoning in a later response). I used the Lake Country backing plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Todd

Awesome Awesome write up! Thanks for taking the time to do this and asking us member what we wanted to see you really hit a home run on this!

Looks like I`m getting the LC thin wool pad!
    My pleasure, thank you for the compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    Great review. Just in time as I`m looking to add some other pads to the arsenal.
    Your comparisons were spot on with the factors I`m deciding. You help save me from taking a lot of time to test everything. As you said factors can vary but this is a great baseline to work from!
    Thank you John!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Awesome review Todd! I`ve been doing something like this for 2 months now with finishing polishes. GOSH lotta work lol. You make it look easy!
    Thanks Joe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Another great review!

Why did you choose BF polish and not a "drier" polish?

I admit not understanding the full ramification of paint correction vs leveling. As you define it, leveling is a slow process whereas paint correction is a brute force method.
    Al, I chose BF SRC Compound because it wasn`t too aggressive. My fear and thinking was that if I went with sometime extremely aggressive then every pad would achieve full correction. I wanted to go with coarse grit scratches and moderate compound (with good finishing) so we could really put the pads to work.

Leveling is focusing the energy on the top or peak of the mountain, so you are removing material UNEVENLY in order to create an even surface.

Material Removal is removing material from the entire UNEVEN surface, so you are still left with an UNEVEN surface at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I can`t imagine the time that went into making this happen, thank you. I also appreciate that no punches were pulled. Very well done. Considering the only pads I ever used in my heyday were the standard Lake Country 6.5" Flat standbys (foam) of yellow, orange, and white, this was an eye opener. Yellow, orange and white flat foam were used on the Cyclo too. Thanks for bringing me into the current century.
    Thank you for the compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by mnehls86 View Post
    Is the heat recorded in any of them likely to cause any problems? I would think not since DA`s are pretty darn safe. I`m just wondering if the Meg`s MF would be better than the LC Wool since the Megs had a less friction even though the LC Cut better and faster?

Awesome review BTW.....I can`t even imagine how long that took to write up.
    No, the heat recorded was not anywhere near any danger zone, however it is still valuable information. As I stated, I prefer the LC microfiber pad with dry polishes, but given the heat that it produces, I wouldn`t use it on a composite surface such as a rubber bumper, plastic fender, or carbon fiber roof since those materials hold heat longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelzntoys View Post
    Excellent! Glad I have two purple DA pads, can`t wait to use them.
    Let us know what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin` View Post
    Todd, you are the freakin` man!! Thank you VERY much for all your hard work and giving us such great information. I commend you my friend!!!
    My pleasure Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Uhhhhhh

Guess it`s time for me to enter the 20th century and start looking for new pads
    Sounds like a plan!!

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not surprised the Meg`s pad is at the top. I am surprised at the overall cutting and finishing ability of the LC yellow pad, especially the finishing. I`ve read that its weakness is finishing, but that obviously wasn`t the case in this test. The foam pads in this test would do even better with the 3401, at least for removing defects.
    Lake Country`s old yellow foam felt more like a brillo pad and was a very aggressive open-celled formula. The yellow foam used on the DA pads is very fine and finishes great.

Todd, if you used M105 in this test, do you feel the ultra fiber pads would have ranked near the top of all categories? Do you prime the ultra fiber pad when using M105?
    Hard to say, because who knows how the other pads would have worked in relation? I believe it would have run cooler (more air flow since the material wouldn`t have matted down) and I think it would have come very close to the cutting ability of the other pads in this test. Those are just guesses though.

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    Great job. This was really informative to a person like myself and really helps clarify some of the pad use questions I have had stirring around in my head.

I do have a question though. Since my car doesn`t need heavy correction how about a similar article for finishing pads? If it has been done I guess I need to look for it, although I have only been a member for less then a year I don`t recall seeing one done in that time frame. The reason I ask is because since I am a novice and have used a rotary a couple times years and years ago I didn`t want to mess with one and bought a DA last year. I have only used it a few times for polishing and numerous times for waxing but the last time I polished even though it seemed to look great when I was done to me it still looks like it has a haze or a slight fog to it in the right light, black paint of course. So I am not sure if I used the correct pads/polish. I did see the thread that was done on polishes and that was great information.

Thank you for the very helpful information.

Dean.
    I`m not sure how to do a finishing pad test because we sell a ton of pads that all finish paint perfectly. Perhaps rate them on the defects they can correct? Even then, I prefer a less abrasive pad when finishing (I don`t care about its correction ability) since a more aggressive pad will remove more material which means the pad will gum up with spent-paint residue faster (thus reducing the chance of getting a flawless finish).

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    That is a $5000.00 write-up!
    Thanks Trouble!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing write up Todd and a wealth of info. Thanks for taking the time to put it together
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the great review todd. definitely have to try the thin wool pads too.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work Todd !
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

now do it all again with a flex and then a rupes and tell me which one is better..

great work!
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

Great writeup! Answered a lot of questions for me. I bought a CCS pad kit along with my PC... once I use up all the pads I have I have a better idea of what I`ll want to buy next! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

My problem is that the Meguiars microfiberpad velcro let loose during the session. All of them (5,5" and 3") ! I used the Chemical guys version and have no problems with it. I must say that i have the 1st series of the Megs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chost10 View Post
    My problem is that the Meguiars microfiber pad velcro let loose during the session. All of them (5,5" and 3") !...I must say that I have the 1st series of the Megs.
    I will admit I had the same issue with the first run of Megs microfiber discs.
    I believe they addressed that quite a while back.
    I have had no issues with the newer Megs mf discs.

...and BTW Todd...OUTSTANDING review! Very detailed and very informative!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the very through review Todd, awesome as always.

Post Thanks / Like

1st: Great test / product comparison

2nd: I took me a full 2 sitting of reading this to take everything in and get the full effect. I am sure I will be returning to this in the future.

3rd: I would love to see this test done with a Flex3401 & Rupes21. Comparing the pads as well as the machines since everyone seems to be asking the question of which machine cuts better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information