Post Thanks / Like

Polishing Pad Priming!

Priming your polishing pad maximizes its performance by increasing the cutting potential and creating an even surface for a better finish.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QT1ugq98ko&feature=plcp]Polishing Pad Priming - YouTube[/ame]

Three Types of Pad Priming:

1. Using a pad conditioner
    2. Using the product
    3. Hybrid (combination) priming

There are three ways to prime a polishing pad, each offering different advantages.

Using a Pad Conditioner:

Using a pad conditioner, such as BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Conditioner, when first using a fresh polishing pad will increase your polishing performance right off the bat. The lubricated formula will prevent dry buffing and all the polish to evenly coat the surface during the first pass. Simply mist a light amount of pad conditioner on to the face of the pad then add an ample amount of polish. Use 2-3 times as much as you normally would use.

This is a simple, yet effective way to prime your pad on the fly, and is better than using just the product itself.

Using the Polish Product:

Using the polish itself, with out the aid of a conditioner is another effective way to prime your polishing pad. This adds a maximum amount of polish over the face and into the pores of the pad, increasing the total cutting power. This type of priming is extremely effective when using non-diminishing abrasive polishes such as Meguiar`s M105 and Meguiar`s M86.

Add an ample amount of polish to the face of the pad and spread into the pad with your thumbs. Add additional product to cover any bare/bald spots. Continue until the entire surface is coated, then allow to dwell for 3-5 minutes. Use a pad brush or compressed air to remove excess product.

Using the Hybrid (Combination) Method:

The Hybrid Method combines both of the above methods and is a great compromise between the two. I use this most for general polishing and final polishing. By adding a little pad conditioner to the surface prior to spreading the product out you cut down on the amount of polish needed to prime the face.

Mist the surface of the pad, then add the polish to the face. Spread with your thumbs. The lubricants in the conditioner will allow far less product to spread far further, reducing product amount. Cover any bare/spots will additional product and allow to dwell for 3-5 minutes. Use a pad conditioner brush or compressed air to remove any excess product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd is there a specific reason to wait 3-5 minutes when priming the pad using the product? Just curious

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Pad Priming!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Todd is there a specific reason to wait 3-5 minutes when priming the pad using the product? Just curious
    Yes, great question. Waiting allows some of the solve to out gas, which leaves a higher concentration of abrasives. By blowing the pad out (or brushing) your remove any abrasives that have not fully bonded to the surface. The result is a more `hard barrier` of active abrasives.

You don`t have to wait, just like you don`t really even have to prime a pad, but you will generally achieve better results from doing both.

Post Thanks / Like

good info todd. i use the hybrid method most of the time. for glass i just use the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good info.

I`ve been priming the pad for years but I`ve not tried using the "pad conditioner" method.
    I do, with certain polishes, spray a light mist of water on the pad surface before priming.
    To me, this just gave a softer break-in & less saturation of product when priming the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically use option 1 when using diminishing polishes but I will use a shot detailer as the pad conditioner. I tried the others but always seemed to over prime more.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I typically use option 1 when using diminishing polishes but I will use a shot detailer as the pad conditioner. I tried the others but always seemed to over prime more.
    You should try the pad conditioner Al, I think you would really like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips Todd!
    I was just reading ur post on pad priming last night and u hv a new post today that summarise everything up!

Post Thanks / Like
    tha.ks!

Post Thanks / Like

It`s sort of surprising to see just how many don`t realize the importance of "correct" foam pad priming.

For the most part I use method 2. I like to ensure that the pores are evenly primed with the product I`ll be using then add a bit more to do the work...

Evenly Primed

Great thread Todd

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like
    I normally use method 2 but I never let it sit. I`ll try that from now on.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info. By the way, has anyone told you that you sound a lot like Vin Diesel?
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Instructions for some (water based) products say not to use pad conditioner. I guess because it could dilute the compound but it seems the small spritz of conditioner would not be enough to do that. Not sure.

Does the conditioner also make it easier to clean the pads afterwards (especially for the non-water-based products)?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LS6 View Post
    Instructions for some (water based) products say not to use pad conditioner. I guess because it could dilute the compound but it seems the small spritz of conditioner would not be enough to do that. Not sure.

Does the conditioner also make it easier to clean the pads afterwards (especially for the non-water-based products)?

thanks
    BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Conditioner is designed not to interfere with the polishing process (although some dilution is likely on the initial pass, although in our testing the benefit of priming the pad with the conditioner and allowing the polish to spread evenly across the surface of the pad far out weighs this).

That is if you loose 5% on the initial pass from dilution you gain 20% from the other benefits, thus resulting in a 15% to the positive.

However if the polish manufacturer specifically recommends against using a priming agent then I would follow the manufacturer recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01GreyStangGT View Post
    Good info. By the way, has anyone told you that you sound a lot like Vin Diesel?
    No, never!

Thread Information