Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How thick is your paint compared to common items: Pictures and Writeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Here is a Defelsko meter that measures 3 layers and shows a graph - PosiTector 200 - Ultrasonic coating thickness gage measures coating over concrete, wood, composite and more. Conforms to ASTM D6132 and ISO 2808 and SSPC PA9

Its not cheap - right at $2700.00 Let`s see, how many Details will it take go buy one?????

Dan F
    Thanks for the link Dan! IIRC, my buddy Bryan has one and while it can measure both composite and metals, it is is only (again IIRC) capable of reading layers on composites, on metals it read totals. I will give them a call today and verify.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juliom2 View Post
    so a two wet sanding process (with proper technique and care)
    will result on an average thickness of a sandwich bag....
    Surprising!!!!!
    Great Study Maestro!!!!!!
    and cool !!!!!(I`ve missed that gentlemen)
    I dont think that is correct Juliom. You would not want to remove that much clear ,if a sandwich baggie equals 2.2 mills. You would not want to remove even half of that .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    It`s so hard to say. Even if we knew the technique being used, the type (and hardness of the paint), the machine, the age of the paint, the surface area of the scratches, and every other variable, the only way to know for sure would be to test it and measure it before/after.

But I think you would be surprised how little paint is being removed in most circumstances. I two stage wet sanded, compound multiple times, polished, and final polished a new Ferrari and saw an average of .2-.3 mils difference. With careful polishing and realistic expectations you can polish your car many many times with out worrying.

Im only adding to this because some new people may get the wrong impression its ok to go wild taking off clearcoat and end up with none left.

Im hoping people dont misunderstand what Todd is saying.

Wet sanding and compounding a car agressively should not be something you can do to factory painted cars over and over again . Even once will take a good portion of clear off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    Im only adding to this because some new people may get the wrong impression its ok to go wild taking off clearcoat and end up with none left.

Im hoping people dont misunderstand what Todd is saying.

Wet sanding and compounding a car agressively should not be something you can do to factory painted cars over and over again . Even once will take a good portion of clear off.
    Exactly! Wet Sanding or heavy compounding is aggressive and should only be done by experienced professionals or enthusiasts with a lot of experience who have a understanding that clear-coat/paint is finite. I am, for the most part, against heavy compounding or sanding factory finishes, particularly on daily drivers. Keep your clear coat and keep your paint happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Exactly! Wet Sanding or heavy compounding is aggressive and should only be done by experienced professionals or enthusiasts with a lot of experience who have a understanding that clear-coat/paint is finite. I am, for the most part, against heavy compounding or sanding factory finishes, particularly on daily drivers. Keep your clear coat and keep your paint happy.
    Thanks Todd for clarifying !
    I was envisioning someone new with wetsanding and compounding till no clearcoat left! And a "but Todd did it" confusion!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    Thanks Todd for clarifying !
    I was envisioning someone new with wetsanding and compounding till no clearcoat left! And a "but Todd did it" confusion!
    No problem DC, really happy to see you are doing better and on here more!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a Defelsko meter that measures 3 layers and shows a graph - PosiTector 200 - Ultrasonic coating thickness gage measures coating over concrete, wood, composite and more. Conforms to ASTM D6132 and ISO 2808 and SSPC PA9

Its not cheap - right at $2700.00 Let`s see, how many Details will it take go buy one?????

Dan F
    well i can forget about trying to talk the wife into that one. thanks for that info todd. makes sense to me now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidmelis View Post
    Thank you for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc1 View Post
    well i can forget about trying to talk the wife into that one. thanks for that info todd. makes sense to me now.
    You guys are very welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Dan F
    Its not actually how many details will it take to buy one, its how many details can you screw up if you didn`t know the starting thickness.....answer one.

By having a paint thickness guage I`ve saved my A$$ many times in the walk around with one, found super thin paint that would have failed if I corrected it.

This is a must tool for working say on a F40, the paint is super thin (can see carbon weave) and if you remove too much..........that will be way more than 2700$

Cheers,
    GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have a meter but just cant justify the cost. But if I did it for a living I would most certainly have a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTOBOSS View Post
    I would love to have a meter but just cant justify the cost. But if I did it for a living I would most certainly have a good one.
    HighLine Meter II is only $249.99 shipped. As Greg mentioned, that`s nothing compared to the price of a paint job. I worked on a 2003 Mitsubishi Evo VIII that had super thin paint and sat outside for 6 or 7 years in a police impound lot. The paint was a mess and couldn`t tell you how many times I was thankful to have had a ptg. A couple spots read 3 mils but overall the paint read in the 2.3 - 2.8 mil range with the door jambs reading 1.9 I believe.

Great article Todd, thanks for sharing! Now I have something to give a visual to my clients, your paint thickness ranges from a sandwich bag to a dollar bill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    HighLine Meter II is only $249.99 shipped. As Greg mentioned, that`s nothing compared to the price of a paint job. I worked on a 2003 Mitsubishi Evo VIII that had super thin paint and sat outside for 6 or 7 years in a police impound lot. The paint was a mess and couldn`t tell you how many times I was thankful to have had a ptg. A couple spots read 3 mils but overall the paint read in the 2.3 - 2.8 mil range with the door jambs reading 1.9 I believe.
    I might have to check that out. I havent really done any research on meters but saw how much the one Autopia sells and just assumed.

Post Thanks / Like

So if you cant measure how thick the clear coat layer alone is how do you know when to stop polishing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOBOSS View Post
    I might have to check that out. I havent really done any research on meters but saw how much the one Autopia sells and just assumed.
    I`m sure the gauge they sell is a good choice, but I have found a lot of Detailers use the HighLine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information