Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How To: Use Glass Science to keep your windshield clean!

How To: Use Glass Science to keep your windshield clean!

Many of us have used other brands of windshield repellents to keep our glass clean and keep water from pooling on it at speed. Not only do windshield water repellents improve wet weather visibility, but they reduce the need to use your wipers. Wipers are the enemy as they can cause pretty nasty scratches in the windshield that cause heavy glare and make night time driving a chore.

Enter Glass Science. While waxes and sealants do a great job to keep water beading on glass, nothing I have used will sheet water at a lower speed than Glass Science. On my personal car I usually have to travel about 40-45 mph before water will start to roll off (with car waxes and sealants). With Glass Science I will usually get water run-off at slightly higher than neighbor hood speeds (30-35 mph). Even that fine mist seems to run off at highway speeds.

About Glass Science.

Unelko Corporation has a long history of meeting surface care challenges with unique innovative technologies. The Glass Science® line of high-performance automotive products provide improved visibility & driving safety during periods of inclement weather that otherwise restricts motorists` ability to see the road, other vehicles and pedestrians..

Unelko developed and later sold RainX®, the well-known auto glass sealant and protectant. Since then, Unelko has developed new patented and patent-pending products to clean, seal, and protect glass surfaces under the name Glass Science. Used as directed, Glass Science`s advanced surface care products improve visibility & driving safety, and can literally cut in half the cost and time devoted to cleaning and glass care in vehicles…while keeping surfaces sparkling like new.

Using Glass Science.

If you are familiar with other rain repellents, then Glass Science products will be easy to use. You will only need a few additional items, and I would recommend using the Glass Scrub prior to the Rain Clear for best results.

Products and Tools Needed:

Glass Science Rain Clear Gel
    Glass Science Glass Scrub
    Foam Applicator
    Detailing Clay
    Paper Towels

Start by washing your windshield to remove loose dirt. You can use a glass cleaner or soap and water (and rinse).

After washing you windshield use detailer`s clay to remove any bonded contaminates and bug remains.

With the windshield still wet (don`t dry it completely) use Glass Science Glass Scrub to deep clean the glass and remove any oil and road film. Apply it with a damp applicator and work into the glass with firm, overlapping motions until you see suds.

Rinse the Glass Science Glass Scrub solution from the glass and dry thoroughly. Now it is time to apply the repellent, Glass Science Rain Clear. Apply with a paper towel using overlapping motions until a film is visible on the glass.

Continue to work in until the film is almost invisible then switch to a clean paper towel to remove. If you still see light streaking mist the glass with water and wipe clean. That`s it your done!

The next time it rains you will be happy you choose Glass Science as the water beads and flies off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Use Glass Science to keep your windshield clean!

I love this product, but using it by hand REALLY sucks, I prefer using it with an orbital polisher. it works wanders on acid rain marks.
    Living the Dream!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric is right on this one, works great on your windshields folks.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

the water just "slips" right off..nice products
    Lexus Rx300

Post Thanks / Like

It is definitely crucial to seal the glass after using this product. and the Rain Gel I actually prefer over the rain x
    Living the Dream!

Post Thanks / Like

I used it once and had trouble with streaking. Maybe I`ll try it again.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Just did a window on my 5 year old truck with this and am pleased. I do think a ROP would make it much easier. Going to do more when I can do some taping.

Post Thanks / Like

First off Todd it was a pleasure meeting you at DF2012 - it really was a great event. Regarding glass science, do you know how that compares to Aquapel Glass Treatment? I actually have a sample of Aquapel but haven`t gotten around to trying it yet. I`ve tried RainX and frankly I wouldn`t use it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice article Todd!

The Glass Science product appears to be a last step product. How would CarPro CeriGlass play into the mix here? I suspect that CarPro CeriGlass would perform the cleaning and minor defect removal prior to applying Glass Science..

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

i just polished my windshield today, so it might be a good time to try some glass science. thanks todd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    i just polished my windshield today, so it might be a good time to try some glass science. thanks todd.
    No problem, let us know how it works for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible to use this with the G110v2? Will it remove hard water stains?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter2525 View Post
    Is it possible to use this with the G110v2? Will it remove hard water stains?
    Yes you can use this with a G110V2 and a polishing pad (but I wouldn`t recommend using that pad for anything else after you use it with Glass Science).

Yes it will remove hard water spots but it will not remove water etching.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long does this product last? How does it compare with using Opti-coat on glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sikessr View Post
    How long does this product last? How does it compare with using Opti-coat on glass?
    glass science is my favorite budget windshield treatment. i treated my 2000 ford f150 about a month ago and it`s still going strong. i think it works better than rain-x. optimum now has their own glass treatment Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect Concentrate. the only other glass treatment i used was Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass and it is excellent. supposed to last up to 30,000 miles of driving. no matter what you use, definitely polish your windshield first, it makes a huge difference in clarity and bonding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information