Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How To: Rinseless wash your vehicle.

How To: Wash Your Vehicle Using a Rinseless Wash.

Phase 1 of the Autopia-CarCare 5-step Paint Care Cycle: The Car Wash.

The first step in creating and maintaining your car`s paint is to wash and dry it with precise technique. All paint systems, but particularly modern clear coat paint systems, are scratch sensitive. This means anytime dirt or grit is rubbed against the paint, even softly, it creates microscopic scratches. With enough accumulation these scratches form visible swirl marks that act to diffuse the reflected light and the paint appears dull. Larger more visible scratches form swirl marks, which are visible micro scratches that ruin the appearance of the paint in bright light. Properly washing your car greatly reduces the chances of creating micro-scratches, keeps your paint free of acidic fall-out, and removes any dirt that blankets an otherwise perfect shine. Properly washing your car using high quality materials with good technique will not only help prevent or eliminate micro-scratches, but will not strip (or may even reinforce) your existing wax coating.

There are three main types of washing methods: Traditional Washing, Rinseless Washing, and Waterless Washing. Each type has advantages and draw backs. This article will focus on using the Rinseless Washing type to clean your vehicle.

-Rinseless Washing-As the name implies, Rinseless washing uses a technique that encapsulates and removes dirt and grime with out using a high-volume of rinse water. xRinseless washing has gained popularity in recent years. Rinseless washing is ideal in areas where water is restricted or times when speed and efficiency are critical. Popular Rinseless wash solutions include Detailer`s Pro Rinseless Wash and Glossxand Optimum Polymer Technology`sxNo-Rinse and Shine. As a benefit, each of these wash solutions utilize synthetic polymer technology that not only cleans the paint but adds a layer of protection and shine to the finish, making them ideal for maintenance washing as well.x

Products Needed:

• A large (5 gallon) wash bucket.
    • Wash media- A plush microfiber cloth, foam wash sponge, natural sponge, or wash mitt.
    • Rinseless wash solution- Detailer`s Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss or Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine.
    • Several Microfiber Drying towels.

Additional Products Recommended:

• A second, large (5 gallon) rinse bucket.
    • Grit-Guards
    • Additional cleaning chemicals- A pre-rinse solution, wheel cleaner, and bug and tar remover.

Products Being Used:

Getting Started

First, start by dropping a Grit-Guard into the bottom of each Blackfire Wash Bucket.

Fill each 5 gallons of water with approximately 4 gallons of water. Add the appropriate amount of rinseless wash solution to one bucket. Detailer`s Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss recommends a dilution of 1 oz per 2 gallons of water. I used a Pro Dispenser. If you don`t have one you can use the bottle cap. Each cap-full is ¼ of an ounce. Add 8 cap-fulls to a four gallons of water.

Place your wash media into the wash solution and allow to soak for 5 minutes prior to washing.

Rinseless Wash Process:

(optional) Pre-treating your vehicle prior to getting started is an optional process. Detailers discovered that by misting the surface of the paint prior to washing, with a rinseless or waterless solution they break the tension holding the grime to the car and reduce the chance of micro-scratching the paint. Detailer`s Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss can be diluted and used in a spray bottle. Additionally, Detailer`s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash makes an excellent pre-treatment. Only a light mist is necessary. Allow to dwell.

Treat any areas of stubborn bug remains or tar with Detailer`s Pro Series Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner and allow to dwell for three-to-five minutes.

Wash and dry your vehicle a section at time. Begin with the cleaner surfaces such as the roof, hood, and upper side panels. Wash by moving your wash media, in this case a Cobra Gold Plush Microfiber Towel, across the paint gently making sure to use plenty of solution. Wring an ample amount of solution over the section to wash and move in gentle straight lines. Some of the dirt and grime will become trapped in the solution and run off the paint, some of it will attach safely to the microfiber.

After washing the section, rinse your wash media out thoroughly in your secondary (rinse) bucket and wring until damp.

Wipe using your damp microfiber cloth to remove most of the solution safely. This will leave behind a damp surface that requires light only light toweling with a drying towel to finish.

An ultra soft Cobra Guzzle will remove any remaining dampness and leave the surface feeling slick and looking glossy.

Last edited by Todd@RUPES; 10-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Rinseless wash your vehicle.

Repeat this process for the entire exterior of the car or vehicle until it is clean and glossy.

Pre-treating the soiled areas.

Squeeze ample amount of Detailer`s Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss over the panel to washed.

Wash gently in a straight lines, allow the solution to flow down the paint.

Rinse your wash media out in the rinse bucket then load with more solution. Wring it out until damp.

Wipe up any standing water, leaving the surface barely damp.

Towel completely dry using a waffle weave drying towel.

Repeat the washing and drying process for the door jambs (if desired).

Wheels and Wheel Wells

Spray a liberal amount of Detailer`s Pro Series Tire Cleaner on to the wheel.

Wash using Detailer`s Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss and a general duty microfiber towel.

To clean the barrels of the wheels (the area behind the spokes) wrap your wash towel around a Wheel Woolie.

Dry using a second, general duty microfiber towel.

Pre-treat the wheel wells with Detailer`s Pro Series Cleanse-All. The wash using a general duty microfiber towel and Detailer`s Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss. Wrap the cloth around a Wheel Woolie to access difficult to reach areas. Wipe dry with a second general duty microfiber towel. Because Detailer`s Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss features a high tech polymer that infuses itself on plastic it will leave behind a dark, clean sheen.

Clean the most soiled parts of the vehicle last, as by now, the wash solution is heavily soiled and should not be used on paint.

The last step in this case is the exhaust tips, which are soiled with carbon.

A light mist of Detailer`s Pro Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner will break up carbon and make cleaning easy.

Then follow by washing with Detailer`s Pro Rinseless Wash & Gloss and general duty microfiber towel.
    Dry with a second, dry general duty microfiber towel to reveal a clean exhaust tip.

Final Thoughts:

Rinseless washing has become extremely popular to the ability to save time and reduce water usage. Quality products, like Optimum No-Rinse and Shine and Detailer`s Pro Series Rinsless Wash & Gloss offer a safe way to quickly wash a moderately soiled vehicle. As a benefit, each product infuses the surface with synethic polymers that boost the shine of the paint and increase the protection.

Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent tutorial and article Todd!

Post Thanks / Like

Great tutorial Todd and Thank you...

PS. When did you paint the MS3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up Todd.

Rinseless washes have become my favorite because I can be done so quick

Post Thanks / Like
    Great writeup Todd.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rurocking View Post
    Great tutorial Todd and Thank you...

PS. When did you paint the MS3?
    Appears to be vinyl wrap. "Why" would be the better question!

Great article Todd. Pretty much step by step how I wash my MZ3, except I`ll pour the wash water into a dedicated wheel bucket before doing the wheels, wells and tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent tutorial Todd...

Post Thanks / Like

Good write-up thanks, going to try it on my next wash.

Post Thanks / Like

good info. Definately will be very helpful for people!

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is THANK YOU. I am learning so much from this site. Todd great job, sir..

Post Thanks / Like

Nice writeup!!

What other wheel cleaners are safe to use with the rinseless wash? I know most need to be rinsed with a stream of water.

I have some Griots wheel cleaner. Could I use it with a rinseless wash? Is Sonax wheel cleaner out of the question?

Thanks.

First post btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by armorrig View Post
    Nice writeup!!

What other wheel cleaners are safe to use with the rinseless wash? I know most need to be rinsed with a stream of water.

I have some Griots wheel cleaner. Could I use it with a rinseless wash? Is Sonax wheel cleaner out of the question?

Thanks.

First post btw.
    I have never tested either of those with a rinseless wash. Detailer`s Pro Series Wheel Cleaner is designed to rinse off with little `flushing` which makes it ideal in this situation.

IRCC both Griot`s and Sonax have a neutral pH, so they should be okay (this is assuming there is no long term damage from not rinsing away all of the residue).

And welcome to AutopiaForums!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I have never tested either of those with a rinseless wash. Detailer`s Pro Series Wheel Cleaner is designed to rinse off with little `flushing` which makes it ideal in this situation.

IRCC both Griot`s and Sonax have a neutral pH, so they should be okay (this is assuming there is no long term damage from not rinsing away all of the residue).

And welcome to AutopiaForums!!!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Another phenomenal thread Todd! You might think seriously about making this a Sticky.....

BobbyG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information