Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to jewel your paint the ultimate shine.

Likes Stokdgs, The Driver, Merlin liked this post
    Thanks The Driver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to jewel your paint the ultimate shine.

bookmark
    Likes The Driver liked this post
    Thanks The Driver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Killrwheelsover on AG uses this term. He may have been the one who coined the phrase. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...black-car.html My background never let me adopt jeweling paint as the description of a finished detail. Jeweling is a term that is often used in other industries involving the final decorative finish put on metals. Most here will know what I`m referring too when talking about a jeweled cylinder jug on a Harley or a jeweled bolt on an expensive rifle. This type of jeweling actually installs uniform cuts, swirling or machining. Sometimes polished, sometimes not.

Because I`ve heard this reference used for so many years in these other arenas makes it tough for me to associate jeweling when referring to a fine paint job that is well detailed. To me it`s almost the antithesis of a jeweled finish, my mind says adding facets. Don`t know if anyone else has this hang up or not. What this likely means is that I`m a product of my environment.

This is what comes to mind when I hear the term jeweling.

A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I always thought the term was "burnish" or "burnishing". This term "jeweling" seems to have appeared over the last few years or so. Whatever. A great shine by any name is a great shine.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Yeah, I always thought the term was "burnish" or "burnishing". This term "jeweling" seems to have appeared over the last few years or so. Whatever. A great shine by any name is a great shine.
    Bill is right, the word "burnishing or burnish" has been around since the 60`s that I can remember and the term " jeweling" started around the mid 70`s when I first heard it in Ohio. Todd had mention it a few years back and how it`s been heard around alot more in the detailing community on the net. Who know`s for sure who started these terms but they do mean alot to a detailer who is looking to get that shine of all shines on his/her or customers car.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Gearhead, I guess you can blame me for the term. I started using it on autopia.org several years ago when I client asked me if I was jeweling the paint. The thread is still there, I got about 50 questions asking what that meant.

Ultimately, at the time, people were using polishing (usually Lake Country white) pads for final polishing with rotary polishers. I had been using soft pads and long work times for a while and I thought it was a cool term that I stole from my customer to describe how I final polished the paint with a rotary. (Which ironically was taught to me by Mike Phillips who was with Meguiar`s at the time.)

After I started using the term I googled it and found that (as you stated) Killrwheelz had used the term a couple of times to describe the technique he used with a DA polisher. This involved lifting the machine up and letting the pad whip across the paint, which (IMO) is the worst thing you can do to finish the paint with a DA.

As you noted, people in many industries (including paint polishing) have used the term long before myself of Killr did, but I figured since I coined it (for a rotary) I should do a write up. You are free to call final polishing by whichever name you like; I actually prefer final polishing myself!

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, I didn`t for a minute mean to determine who may or may not have started using the term or even whether it is appropriate in describing the job. I`ve seen both Killr and Mike use the term. If I offended you in how I said this I apologize. The only point I was trying to make was that I had a hard time visualizing "paint jeweling" when the "jeweling" I had known for decades actually put texture into the finish as opposed to a smooth flat surface. By the way, I believe I had this same conversation with Killr at the time he was throwing it around.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think it`s a big deal what we call it. If anything, "jeweling" sounds quite cool ( and it is cool) ; especially when describing the correction process to a customer. That term leaves a very positive image in their mind.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It does sound cool to use " Jeweling " as a term. Make`s the customer think he/she is getting something real special.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Todd, I didn`t for a minute mean to determine who may or may not have started using the term or even whether it is appropriate in describing the job. I`ve seen both Killr and Mike use the term. If I offended you in how I said this I apologize. The only point I was trying to make was that I had a hard time visualizing "paint jeweling" when the "jeweling" I had known for decades actually put texture into the finish as opposed to a smooth flat surface. By the way, I believe I had this same conversation with Killr at the time he was throwing it around.
    No offense taken! I have pretty thick skin and didn`t find anything you said offensive in the least

Post Thanks / Like

I imagine most women would like the term "jeweling"

I dont like the word burnish because it has the word burn in it

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the term floating around a few years back. Haven`t heard it in a while, and haven`t really seen too many people taking the polishing to that extreme. A nice dark car sure looks cool when Jeweled properly.

Thanks for the write up Todd and bringing "Jeweling" back.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like when the word jeweling is used there is as much discussion of who invented it first as there is discussing various "jeweling" methods.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Detailing the Gulf Coast vitalcarcare's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the term "jeweling" but, as Gearhead mentioned, it can be misconstrued as a completely different meaning. We simply need to pick and choose our wording carefully to avoid customer confusion. Jeweling could simply be that the paint shimmers clearly, but with most jewels you create facets to increase the sparkle. This could be interpreted wrong and be just as bad as "BURNishing" is to DC. Ive never encountered any strange looks when ive used the term but most or still in shock of how good their cars looks to care about what i did. haha

What about "Dazzling" the paint or "Jazzing" the paint? hehe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    This involved lifting the machine up and letting the pad whip across the paint, which (IMO) is the worst thing you can do to finish the paint with a DA.
    Todd, if I recall you have been one of the few that advocates reducing speed not pressure rather using less pressure and faster arm speed when doing the final passes with any polish.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information