Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to gain more new customers using a Sidewalk Sandwich Sign

How to gain more new customers using a Sidewalk Sandwich Sign

If you`re a Mobile Detailer hopefully your work rig is shiny with black tires and clean windows and you have your business signage on it somewhere...

Problem - No Marketing Signage on Location
    The problem is that you can`t always have your work rig close to where the detailing work is being performed so anyone passing by won`t easily know who you are and how to contact you.

Solution - Sidewalk A-Frame Sandwich Sign
    Here`s way you can get new customers and that`s with a Sidewalk A-Frame Sandwich Sign. These are relatively inexpensive and you can customize it for your business.

Then anytime you`re detailing a car, have the sign on display nearby where potential customers can see and read it. Be sure to use large lettering for key points of information like,

• Name
    • Phone Number

For example if you`re working in someone`s driveway but your Detail Van is parked down the road a space or two due to crowded parking, you want the letters on the board large enough for someone driving by to read and capture the two most important pieces of information,

What you do -> Detail Cars
    How to get a hold of you -> Your Phone Number

Your Sidewalk A-Frame Sandwich Sign could look something like this...

You can add other information like a website or basic services, etc. but these would be in smaller lettering and shouldn`t be to overwhelming... stick with 2 - 4 basic pieces of information. You can even attach a business car holder and keep it stocked up or a holder for tri-fold fliers, then if you stop working to talk to a potential customer you have printed material you can give them on the spot.

Do`s and Don`ts

Do`s
    Do spend the money to purchase lettering or pay someone to letter your sign.

Don`ts
    Don`t draw with a felt marker and have your sign look like a 3rd grader made it for you. Perception is reality and if you have a sign with poorly written lettering it will not instill confidence in your potential customer.

From NeoPlex... Vinyl-Coated Plywood A-Frame Sidewalk Sign
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0hY0YMnRE]YouTube - Vinyl-Coated Plywood A-Frame Sidewalk Sign from Neoplex[/ame]

Vinyl Clad Outdoor A-Frame Sign

One of the first rules for growing your business is to make it easy for your customer to know what you do and how to contact you.

Don`t make your potential customer work at it giving you their business...

Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

Click on a book to get your own copy.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expose yourself for more business...

Vistaprint makes cheap banners.

Just sayin...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Premium View Post
    Vistaprint makes cheap banners.

Just sayin...
    The source is probably less important as just getting it going...

This post was in part a part of Mel Craig`s Conference Call, we talked about ways to get more business and this is one of the ideas we talked about.

Mike Phillips
    Twitter
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The source is probably less important as just getting it going...

This post was in part a part of Mel Craig`s Conference Call, we talked about ways to get more business and this is one of the ideas we talked about.

I absolutely agree. I will take a pic of my mobile signage next time I put it up on a mobile job and post it here.

I was just leaving a tip to the ones who question where to get good, inexpensive signage for this situation.

Thanks for the post, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to gain more new customers using a Sidewalk Sandwich Sign

When I wrote this article last summer I thought the title would would draw interest to the article, my mistake.

There`s a time and place for comedy but this article is actually of a serious nature so I`ve re-titled it to accurately describe the solution it provides for helping a mobile detailer get more "new" customers.

Mike Phillips
    Twitter
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

That`s going to look funny in front of my house, but heck I`ll give it a try.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    That`s going to look funny in front of my house, but heck I`ll give it a try.
    Last night on the conference call I shared this tool for helping new mobile detailers to get more new customers and I think it was Paul Weidler that chimed in and said he had a Sidewalk Sandwich Board made and as soon as he started using it he started getting more new customers.

Without a sign, people walking or driving by don`t know what`s going on, they don`t know if it`s your car and you`re just working on it or if you`re a detailer or something else.

As soon as you put the sign up you tell your customer what your are, (a detailer), and you remove any confusion on their thinking about what you`re doing. Then if they have questions or are interested in getting their car detailed they will more likely to approach you and start up a conversation.

That puts the ball in your court to sell yourself and close the deal.

No sign... most people won`t take the initiative to take action. The sign opens the door for making a contact.

Mike Phillips
    Twitter
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

I actually use a sandwich sign at my fixed location shop too because it`s so visible and fortunately I`m "allowed" to have them in my location as long as we don`t leave them up all night and they are not considered a fixed sign. City can be a pain to deal with sometimes where I`m from.
    A sandwich sign for a mobile detailer sounds like an awesome idea Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

There`s an old saying that goes like this...

The more you tell the more you sell....

Before you can "tell" you need someone to talk to and that`s the point of the sign, to get the attention of anyone in the area and let them know what you do.

Some people won`t be interested for whatever their reasons, maybe they detail their own car, maybe the have a detailer already or maybe they don`t care about their car`s appearance.

The possibility exists however that someone that sees you detailing a car might be interested in getting their car detailed but you can`t talk to them if they don`t approach you and you can`t stop detailing and approach strangers all day. The the idea of the sign is to get a "potential" customer`s attention

The sign pre-qualifies anyone that approaches you while you`re working.

Heck add the words,

Accepting new clients

Or something to that effect and really get the message out...

Getting new customers to grow your detailing business is your job, no one is going to put more effort into this aspect of your business than you.

Mike Phillips
    Twitter
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this has been a great selling tool for many years and when used correctly can be a very dynamic way to generate new business opportunities. Paul Weidler has, (for years) used his sandwich board with a lot of success... His started of by saying "Detail In Progress" along with his phone number and website. He told me that gained a lot of attention for him. People driving by could and would instantly know exactly what he was doing... Every mobile detailing professional should have this type of sign and use it religiously... IT WORKS....
    The Detailing Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    There`s an old saying that goes like this...

The more you tell the more you sell....

Before you can "tell" you need someone to talk to and that`s the point of the sign, to get the attention of anyone in the area and let them know what you do.

Some people won`t be interested for whatever their reasons, maybe they detail their own car, maybe the have a detailer already or maybe they don`t care about their car`s appearance.

The possibility exists however that someone that sees you detailing a car might be interested in getting their car detailed but you can`t talk to them if they don`t approach you and you can`t stop detailing and approach strangers all day. The the idea of the sign is to get a "potential" customer`s attention

The sign pre-qualifies anyone that approaches you while you`re working.

Heck add the words,

Accepting new clients

Or something to that effect and really get the message out...

Getting new customers to grow your detailing business is your job, no one is going to put more effort into this aspect of your business than you.

Well said, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

If it works then I`m going to do it
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

I used a sign like this when I was 18(altho not mobile) and just got laid off of a job. I used to carry it around in my pick up and when parked somewhere, I would put it on my tonneau cover of my S-10 at the time. I always kept that truck looking good. It was nothing more that two pieces of plywood and some sticky letters with my name and phone number that said auto detailing. 16 years later I still have some of the same customers that called that number. So yes it actually works(especially when placed next to/near a properly detailed vehicle)! It helped me thru college! I can see this being a real plus to the mobile detailing guys. Perhaps with a little business card holder attached that onlookers or passer byers can take for future reference!

Great thread Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Its so cool to see some of the easiest ways to advertise can generate so much business. The Sandwich Sign has been around since the beginning of time. Its one of those things that is inexpensive and very easy to use. There are a lot of sign places that can make them up for you. Be sure you make the right choice in the words, slogans or selling points you use. Don`t over complicate the sign. Don`t put to much on it. It should be designed as an attention getter. I have seen these signs so full of info that they did not work at all. The best ones are very easy to see, easy to read and let people know what you are doing and how to get in touch with you.

Like I said, Paul had one that said something like "Professional Detail In Progress" Along with his number and his website and that was it. I was amazed at how much work he got.

This sign can also be set up on those jobs where you and your rig may not be visible or you may be off the road a bit. You can put the sign out front where most people can`t or would not normally have the chance to see you but, driving by, they see your sign!
    Great way to attract more attention in some of those deep driveways, back lots or business parks that no one knows your even there!

I would love to hear from any of you that give this a try. Im sure if you use Mikes suggestions you will have great success with this very simple advertising tool.

Great job on this thread Mike, I bet it goes on for a while.
    The Detailing Pros

Post Thanks / Like

And if you do not have any active jobs, you can just take your own vehicles, put the sign up, and start washing it.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information