3" Mini Polisher- 2nd Generation Griot`s Garage Mini Polisher

The new 2nd Generation Griot`s Garage 3" Mini Polisher just arrived and I`ve been waiting for this little puppy to get here so I could take it for a test drive. I`m happy to say that it matches Griot`s description of being *New & Improved* with the primary improvement being that it now has more power.

Like its big brother the Griot`s Garage Random Orbital Polisher, the new and improved Griot`s Garage 3" Mini Polisher , (or 3MP), offers enough power to keep a 3" foam cutting pad rotating under pressure as long as you hold the pad flat and even if you get a little edgy with it.

I loved the "idea" of the first generation 3MP but it just didn`t have enough umph to make a top shelf tool, this new Gen II version fixed that problem by increasing the power enough to enable this new version to keep their 3" foam polishing pad rotating under medium pressure on flat surface with no problem.

I did some experimenting with both firm to extreme pressure and on a flat surface it will keep the 3" pad rotating but slower than with just medium pressure but it will keep it rotating. I couldn`t stop the pad when working on a flat surface even with a ridiculous amount of pressure.

Here`s the point, when working on thin panels to remove swirls you need to keep the pad rotating but you don`t want it rotating so fast under pressure that you generate too much heat or you turn the polishing process into a grinding process. In most situations you will be using light to medium pressure and changing your chemical to increase or decrease cutting ability.

It appears to me that Griot`s has found the balance between too little and too much and tweaked this new version to work in that sweet spot for good correction ability.

Besides the increase in power there`s also

• 240 Watt Motor
  • 3,500 to 10,000 OPM`s - You`ll mostly use the 4.6 speed range
  • An improved on/off switch
  • Soft start, constant speed feature
  • An ergonomic built-in grip at the head of the unit
  • 10` heavy duty cord
  • Steel bevel gear drive for smoother operation
  • A standard style backing plate with a 5/16" shaft instead of the previous backing plate that was held on with a Phillips Machine Screw

I`ll need to use on some complete buff-outs to get a real-world feel for it before passing final judgment so this is just a primer to share with everyone interested in the new Gen II model.

Without further ado, here`s some pictures...

As it comes packaged...

What`s in the box...

The top model if Gen I and the bottom model is the new Gen II version

Then new Gen II version uses a normal style backing plate like larger dual action polishers instead of a backing plate held on with a Phillips machine screw.

It includes a set of extra brushes...

Testing rotating ability using some Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0

On the 6.0 setting working on an A-Pillar

The thin panel surround a window on a Tahoe...

For more information:
Griot`s Garage 3" Mini Polisher
Griot`s Garage 3 Inch Orange Polishing Foam Pad 3 Pack
Griot`s Garage 3 Inch Mini Red Wax Pad