Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: doest anybody use power inverters!!!!!!!

If your looking for generators the Yamaha ones are really good. We used the EF2800i model and at 10 feet it was hard to tell it was on. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/gen/ef2800i.html

James

Long Island N.Y. But now live in Delaware
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
    no prob....

But I think the charging functionality of that inverter was meant to charge things like cordless drills or other battery operated devices. You can`t charge your vehicle battery with something being powered by that battery. Thats what the cars alternator is for.

btw... I read at another site that oftentimes battery chargers don`t work well when being powered by a power inverter. Thats why these things often have a `special` feature that allows them to charge batteries.

SC~
    Yup i just reread that..thanks
    "There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up." John Andrew Holmes, Jr.
    :welcome
    Spence <><
    Xtreme Perfection

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using a power inverter for about eight months and I love it!
    I do a lot of work in apartment complexes and neighborhoods very early in the morning and the quietness of the inverter really helps. I use a Xantrex 1750 Watt power inverter that I paid $325-350 for and as a power source I use deep cycle marine batteries. Marine batteries provide a constant strong supply of power and they last a lot longer than regular car batteries that provide a strong burst of power initially but they can not sustain a constant stream of power to properly run my Buffers, Electric Power washer,Vacuum, Extractor, Steamer, and Halogen Lights.

I have four batteries in my van and on average I can do three full details on one battery. Each battery will provide about 3 hours of power, and when one goes out I just hook up another. The recharge time is about eight hours a battery and that is only because I use a low powered recharge unit. I will purchase a stronger unit later this month.

I may get a gas powered generator later but for right now I don`t want the noise of a gas generator. I also use the all electric service delivery aspect as a selling point to my more "green " thinking clients who are considerate of the environment and they appreciate my approach to do what I can to help keep our earth as healthy as possible. I hope that I have helped you in your decision. If I were you I`d go with the power inverter you can`t lose.
    Ezra N Gipson

Post Thanks / Like

You could also hook up a higher power alternator in your vehicle and wire those batteries in with the cars charging system. Then as you drive to and from your appointments, you are constantly topping off your batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone had a problem with their inverter`s low-power alarm / auto shut-off feature before?

With my inverter, if I don`t keep the engine running the low power alarm goes off when the voltage dips to about 11v... and I can`t figure out how to disable the alarm.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: doest anybody use power inverters!!!!!!!

I have the 1500w model with 3 dc outlets and can run any 2 pwer tool simultaneously. This is hooked up in a Ford E350 box truck with 10 gauge wire. Do to the less stable nature of the power comming from the inverter I use a surge protector for added security.
    My rides :shift
    1999 F-150 149,000
    2000 Mercedes E320
    2001 Ford Windstar

Post Thanks / Like

Modern power inverters regulate their own current. So you shouldn`t get any power spikes.

Mine has a low power warning, but it only sounded when I was trying to power tools from a tired old battery. Do yourself a favor, toss your old vehicle battery and get yourself something with some serious reserve capacity. Optimas are great, but spendy. I have a DieHard gold top battery that is good for over an hours constant use before the voltage drops to the point when the inverter alarm sounds.

SC~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information