Post Thanks / Like

Fleet and Car Lot pricing

Hey guys got a couple questions hopefully someone can answer. Just got out of the military a couple days ago and plan on taking my detailing full time. While I was in I started a small outfit to do work on the side to make a little cash. And over the years I invested in all the equipment that I would need to be a 100% mobile and self reliant. The only problem now is that originally I was going to stay in the area which I started my business and now have decided to take my work back home. With that being said I`ve lost my clients that took me years to get. So for filler work starting tomorrow I`m going around to dealerships and business with fleets and was wondering what to charge these guys. Just hoping to get some steady income not wanting to gear my business towards lot work. Any information would be helpful please.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fleet and Car Lot pricing

Stevenfoutch -

Welcome to the Forum !

Congrats on getting out of the Military !

I remember that day well ! Discharged in 1971 and then 2 years in Reserve.. Total = 6 years..

Boy, I dont ever hear anything good coming from Dealerships...

I hope your experience will be better...

As we all know, they try to squeeze every last dime out of anything that has to do with maintaining the Lot of vehicles; I hope you can find a place that will work for you..

Its all Production Work - knock them out as fast as you can...

If it were me, and I successfully did this for years in the Northwest, I would go find a really good Independent German Car repair shop, that has lots of nice ones in the lot for work, get to know the guys at the Front Desk, try to make a connection with them, and win them over.

You will come prepared with your laptop, etc., so you can show them large hi resolution pictures of your work, with "before" and "after" shots of the worst ones you had to do, and your own brochure and a box of really nice, thick business cards..

You will drive into their lot with your Perfectly Detailed inside and out vehicle, that will also be another means you use to explain why you are absolutely the Best Detailer, by going to their Clients cars in the lot and then going to yours so they can see the difference.. Your vehicle is absolutely perfectly clear, not 1 thing out of place...

You were in the Military - you know what I mean here...

I offered to do their Shop Vehicle - a very nice 2003 BMW 540iT (wagon) so they could see me working and follow the progress, and after it was done, they said "where do we sign up?"

The best part about doing this is -
    - You have a place to work, or if not possible, an unending number of nice vehicles to work on as long as you want to -

- You have the best ever Detail Evangelists at the Front Desk, selling your work to everyone - and they know all their Clients for years, and that "trust" relationship is so important to have - on your behalf.

- Your Reputation will grow very fast if you are really good here, and all these Clients of theirs will now trust you and give you more work and tell all their friends.

- These higher level Clients of that Shop will not mind if you take longer to do the work because they have a lot invested in these expensive cars and are willing to Invest the time and $$$ into them to keep them looking brand new..

I work alone so I always told them on a complete Detail from the front all the way to the back, not missing anything, and absolutely removing ALL DIRT from the entire vehicle to start, with a killer Paint Correction, and Leather, carpet, engine, trunk etc., cleaning and conditioning, would take me 20+ hours to do, and no one Ever, said oh, that`s too long...

- The most repeated reaction from these lovely people for almost 10 years there -
    - Oh ! Shxx ! That`s NOT my CAR !!! And it Always WAS... Their Baby...

Good luck !
    Dan F
    Likes colinpd137, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The locals around here get $65 a car
    Thanks for your service!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve congrats on the career. I still have 9 more years of service to do till I get out and do what I`m passionate about full time. I have been detailing on the side for 5 years. I built up a great client base in Detroit but I transfeered this year to Jacksonville and now have to start over. So I feel your pain. Back to your question, when I got here I hit the local lots, the more receptive ones are the small used car lots, the big ones can`t make any decisions at that level. The going rate will be 40-80. And the details are all done fast and furious. I had no interest in any of that but I did pick up some PDR leads. I can understand needing to pay the bills but I plan on staying away from the car lot detailing jobs. Too little money, too much stress. Good Luck

Thread Information