Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Telling a Customer No

Well....it had to happen eventually. I am going to have to tell a customer no. I have not had to do this before now.

Without going into all of the details....the job is just too big and too much for me.

How do you guys tell customers no....sorry cant do it?
    John Bosmans
    J&J Auto Detailing
    Wilmington NC
    http://jjautodetailing.weebly.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Telling a Customer No

Honesty......"I appreciate the opportunity but this particular job is not one I could do to our mutual satisfaction so I must decline."
    Likes mshu7 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You might also refer them to a reputable detailer in the area that can handle the job. The customer will appreciate it and the detailer might even return the favor later down the road.
    Likes mshu7 liked this post
    Dislikes mshu7 disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Learning to tell customers no is one of the best things you can do. It took me a while to learn that lesson, but after setting myself up to get burned a few times, it is one that I quickly mastered. Always be polite, and if possible, do it in a way that makes seem like you are looking out for them/it was their choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbosmans View Post
    Well....it had to happen eventually. I am going to have to tell a customer no. I have not had to do this before now.

Without going into all of the details....the job is just too big and too much for me.

How do you guys tell customers no....sorry cant do it?
    Without going into details I will have to respond with 2 answers

1) If the customer is being cheap or impossible to deal with tell them that they are being cheap and impossible to deal with (in a round about way)

2) If the job requires work outside your comfort area see if you could find a more experienced detailer in your area to work with and get some on the job training. I woyuldn`t refer anyone unless you are being compensated in some sort of way

Every week I turn down at least 2 or 3 jobs. 99% of the time it is due to people looking for a bargain. That is not my world

Post Thanks / Like

Just hung up the phone with a potential new customer wanting 3 vehicles detailed. After going over everything involved and what my estimated price would be; he said he would have to talk with his wife and get back with me. From previous experience this is code for "I would love to have YOU detail my car(s), but I am looking for someone cheaper"

He sounded like a really nice guy. I`m sure we could be great friends away from detailing, but this is my business not my hobby. I would like to be able to retire 1 day w/out living in poverty
    Likes Scottwax, The Driver, kenny.bacon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I am officially retired, I am unofficially - needing money! So, I do some detailing on a limited basis. I learned to pass on the:
    1. Turds - vehicles that would gag a maggot, like minivans with small kids and or pets, work trucks for asphault contractors, or cigar smoking old Buick owners
    2. TJ Maxx - you know, they want the maxium detail for the minimum price (paraphasing the department store motto), this is also known as the nickle/dime you to tears guy
    3. Bad Vibes - you know JDLR, this is JDFR (just doesn`t feel right) and this takes some experience or good e s p, it`s hard to say, but it`s just something about this that feels wrong. Listen to your "little voice" you may avoid a steaming pile of dog doo.
    4. My newest "Buddy" - got your name and number from Ed who heard about you from Floyd, who got a great review on your work from Wilma - who heard about you from Betty at the beautyshop. Now, gimme that good ol brother in law discount good buddy.
    And FINALLY!
    5. Mr. Know-It-All, listen, I have been (reading, talking, watching you-tube) and KNOW exactly what I want and this is how I want you to do it.

The last one is my favorite, then I politely smile and say no problem - that will be $125 per hour, 5 hour minium and I require Starbucks coffee in the AM, premium bottled water and you provide an air conditioned garage, set between 68 -71.

Honestly, I`m knocking dust on just maintenance wash/wax`s and haven`t polished out anything in months. I really don`t miss it and the $ is better per hour.
    Likes kenny.bacon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bunn View Post

Honestly, I`m knocking dust on just maintenance wash/wax`s and haven`t polished out anything in months. I really don`t miss it and the $ is better per hour.
    Werd! And the stress is much much less!

Post Thanks / Like

If its a job you don`t feel like you can do, then you should just tell the customer that there are facets of this project that are not my strength and I would never want to produce a product I was not proud of. It would not be fair to you or me.

If its about price. I would say, there are just too many hours required to complete this project and with the budget you have allotted, I just cannot get it done properly.

And in all fairness, when David Saunders told me what it would cost to detail my car I was shocked. I was living in the land of 150-250 dollar details and knew nothing about the time it takes to correct a car. Some people have not clue and they need some educating and then some people need a 150 dollar detail to see the mess (and damage) before they put up bigger bucks in a detail. Others are happy with the 150 dollar detail-to each his own.

My neighbor is a great guy. We are great neighbors. He used my snow blower, If I need a hand or a tool he is quick to help. His son got a new truck and asked me what to do to keep it looking new. Wanted to wax it. I gave him some shampoos, my 2 bucket set up and a sprayer full of permanon.

He followed instructions well. Car came out great. He asked where he could buy permanaon. I gave him this site. He told me I was nuts at the price of the permanon. I said if I knew what it cost, I never would have taken it. I told him it diluted. He said, its still nuts.

He told me he will buy something at Autozone like he always has and is plenty happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t mind tell customers what they can an cant do. I`m a bit bossy like that, but I can see they feel secure. I explain everything in great detail but using basic analogies. They usually pick it up quick. Once a customers understands what can an can`t be done it definitely changes the dynamic from being an initial investment into some they are now comfortable about which means they will most likely take a greater interest an even become more excited about.

Knowledge is key, customers who see "you knowing what your talking about" are a lot more likely to get what can be done, done vs walking away completely and looking for another source. Everyone appreciates a smooth transaction, probably even more so than out of this world results.... Most people don`t like to gamble with their second largest investment.... I know I`m one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Turned away 3 more this week. 1 guy sounded like a dbag, so I told him I was booked until the 3rd week of July. Another had a 20 year old boat that need buffing. He claimed "it wasn`t that bad". He also claimed that "he could send me all kinds of work" The latest was a lady today. First thing out of her pie hole was "How much you be chargin to shampoo carpets". Even tho I have an extractor, steam machine and a case of elbow grease I told her I didn`t have the proper equipment to handle the job

For me turning away work comes easier then accepting it. I have 1,001 excuses not to work

Post Thanks / Like

And there goes another ...

Post Thanks / Like

2005 Mini Van?!?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Last year (Aug-Sept time) I did an older gray Accord for an old couple, they were the - we heard about your work and we want the car cleaned and waxed. OK, it needed polishing but they were not interested, "just clean and waxed, sonny" so I did. I washed, clayed - told them about that, and waxed. They liked the look and feel, plus I got out a few stains in the cloth seats/carpet. I did it as cheap as I could. Then I pointed out how if they had got it polished they wouldn`t be looking at swirl marks. They looked and said they never even noticed them and eh, it`s fine - yeah whatever. They were so happy and wanted to get me to do the wife`s sister`s Highlander, "it`s just needs a good cleaning" yeah, and a whole lot more. So, the guy is old, former Marine, (my dad was one too) so I got the soft spot kicking in and I said yeah - bring it on. I looked at it and gave them a fair price for all the cleaning it needed, inside and out, oh, did I mention it sat under a tree for 5 months? It was silver and came out very good, again, base model, cloth seats. They were a little "funny" about the price, it was more than the Accord but hey, time is money daddy-o. And, the son-in-law came along to "inspect" and got schooled by me on what will come out and what needs a bodyshop. I didn`t appreciate his tone at all, like for the money I charged they should have a Pebble Beach Classic - REALLY DUDE?!, you neglect a vehicle for months and expect to pay car wash wages to recondition it to brand new, get bent! The old guy was going on and on about getting his son`s truck done, and some other car too. We shook hands and that was it. Never heard from him again, till last week, he calls - never explains what happened to the other stuff last year or why he never called back, jumped right into "hey buddy, I need you to do my daughter`s car the Saturday before Father`s day and boy is it NASTY!
    Ok, I went over this in my mind and:
    1. you acted funny our last time out
    2. you never called back with the other cars that you said you wanted done
    3. It`s been 10 months and you call expecting me to drop everything and get to you
    4. You`re cheap
    5. I am booked - no lie, I have a waiting list since I only do this part time, I really am booked for weeks, with good paying, appreciating folks too.

I told him, sorry, booked up, and hey - try calling this guy that`s been dropping his business card at every fast fair and country store in town - I think he can work you in!

Post Thanks / Like

Today I get a call from a fella with several classic cars. Wanted me to start tomorrow (so he`s serious) and $ was never mentioned

I told this customer YES !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information