Post Thanks / Like

Some nexbie questions

Hello everyone! new guy here. I had a couple questions concerning starting a mobile detailing business. I`m kind of new to serious detailing but have been getting more and more into it. I really want to take on some major projects but don`t really have justification to buy all the necessary equipment to do so. Unless of course, I am making money. I read a guide on how to start for around $500. I have some of the things already but need some of the necessary tools like a good polisher, shop vac, etc. I have more than enough money to start the business. I`ve also taken a business class and feel that i have the know how and motivation to be at least mildly successful. I also live in an area where I would have no real competition. The prices of some of the detailing businesses closer to the city are pretty high and I feel I could easily do it for half. But this is where the dilemma comes in. They have trailers with their own water and electric supply and all that fancy stuff. Obviously that is not within my budget. So my main question is this: Is it possible to do mobile detailing without it? Could I not use the person`s water spicket and bring my own hose and an extensino cord for power? If so, I would like to eventually build onto my small platform and get a trailer hitch for my vehicle, trailer, pressure washer, etc. But that would be more of a long term goal. I`m sure I will have a lot more questions in the near future regarding products, techniques, etc. But for now this is my main concern. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: just realized i mispelled newbie in the title. Can`t figure out how to fix it >.>

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some nexbie questions

Quote Originally Posted by Myechtatel View Post
    Hello everyone! new guy here. I had a couple questions concerning starting a mobile detailing business. I`m kind of new to serious detailing but have been getting more and more into it. I really want to take on some major projects but don`t really have justification to buy all the necessary equipment to do so. Unless of course, I am making money. I read a guide on how to start for around $500. I have some of the things already but need some of the necessary tools like a good polisher, shop vac, etc. I have more than enough money to start the business. I`ve also taken a business class and feel that i have the know how and motivation to be at least mildly successful. I also live in an area where I would have no real competition. The prices of some of the detailing businesses closer to the city are pretty high and I feel I could easily do it for half. But this is where the dilemma comes in. They have trailers with their own water and electric supply and all that fancy stuff. Obviously that is not within my budget. So my main question is this: Is it possible to do mobile detailing without it? Could I not use the person`s water spicket and bring my own hose and an extensino cord for power? If so, I would like to eventually build onto my small platform and get a trailer hitch for my vehicle, trailer, pressure washer, etc. But that would be more of a long term goal. I`m sure I will have a lot more questions in the near future regarding products, techniques, etc. But for now this is my main concern. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: just realized i mispelled newbie in the title. Can`t figure out how to fix it >.>
    Welcome to AutopiaForums. The simple answer to your question is YES.

However, as somebody who has a degree in business and made a living a detailing cars, I would caution about being the "cheapest" guy. That is a recipe for detailing with overbearing, headache-inducing customers.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive worked out of my Tahoe for the past 4 years. Sometimes its a real pain, especially if I`m working at an apt complex or somewhere that water and outside electric is limited, but its very seldom. That`s where a product like Optimum No Rinse comes in handy. I always bring a 5 gallon container of water with me just for situations like that. You could detail out of a Prius if you wanted to. Its all about organization.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. thanks for the feedback! I have a CR-V that I plan to use for now. I actually went and got my businees license today. Now I just need to finish getting all my products and equipment together and I`ll be open for business.

Thread Information