Post Thanks / Like

Insurance Question

I have a couple questions concerning insurance that I am hoping someone can help me with. I have done quite a bit of reading on here concerning the topic but still not sure I have a good grasp. Here is my situation:

I am looking to start a small, part-time detailing business out of my house/garage. I have a full-time job so this would strictly be a supplemental business on nights and weekends. I have no experience in the detailing business, but I have detailed my own and other family member cars. I plan on offering very basic services (wash, clay bar, wax, interior cleaning and carpet cleaning). At least initially I don`t plan on an services involving buffers, repainting, dent repair, tinting etc. I would definitely prefer to keep this home-based (as opposed to mobile) as I feel more comfortable working at home and would be more able to spend time with my family.

I figured one of the first steps in starting such a business was to contact my insurance agent. He`s not really an agent, but rather shops the various companies and finds the best rates. We`ve been working with him for years and have been very happy with his work (and we trust him). Anyway, I emailed him the following:

"I am planning on starting a car detailing business. This will be a part-time business and will be done out of our garage. What kind of insurance do you recommend and what kind of price am I looking at?"

I`m not sure if I phrased this correctly, but he is now telling me the following:

"As for the detailing business we are running into some problems that we don`t think we can resolve with the various markets we have available. Erie was willing to write the home and business but only if the business was operated out of a detached structure on your property. I assumed you were doing this out of your attached garage. Please correct me if I`m wrong.
    The problem the insurance carriers have is the difficulty (at times) differentiating between both business and personal liability and property at the time of a claim. In summary, we have companies that will insure your home, but not with the type of business you are proposing. We have companies that will insure the business but not when it`s operated out of an attached structure to the main home."

So basically he is telling me a home-based detailing business is not insurable. Does this seem correct? Am I asking for the wrong type of insurance? What other options do I have? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Insurance Question

I have insurance and I work from my home. Trying to get the right coverage is very frustrating/confusing and costly

Post Thanks / Like

I would think my agent would have been able to find a plan as he works with all the companies (State Farm, Travelers, Erie, etc).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmsmith2032 View Post
    I would think my agent would have been able to find a plan as he works with all the companies (State Farm, Travelers, Erie, etc).
    Mine is through Ohio Security Insurance Company. I believe they are a division of Liberty Mutual

Post Thanks / Like

From the way he explained it to me though, if I sign up with a different carrier for the business insurance, our primary personal insurance (Travelers) will no longer insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

so hypothetically if the business was operated outside of you attached garage, i.e. driveway, would that be acceptable to the companies?

From the way he explained it to me though, if I sign up with a different carrier for the business insurance, our primary personal insurance (Travelers) will no longer insurance.
    i have spoken with several insurance companies and my personal one for vehicle/home and that never came up once

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe so. Maybe I could just say I was performing all the work outside?

Also, I`ve read about garage keeper insurance....is this different than what he`s quoting do you think? What`s the difference?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe so. Maybe I could just say I was performing all the work outside?

Also, I`ve read about garage keeper insurance....is this different than what he`s quoting do you think? What`s the difference?
    im not too sure about garage keeper insurance...my statement was just trying to provide a loophole to their rules

i am meeting with my insurance agent (farm bureau) friday at 4pm to discuss some of this exact stuff. i will let you know after then what he says. i`ve been with them for five plus years so I should be able to get some good info

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 512detail!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 512detail!
    no problem. its something ive been needing to do for a while anyways and now finally having enough steady business to justify said expense

Brandt K.

Thread Information