Post Thanks / Like

How long did it take to go full time.

I have been detailing off and on now for 2-3years. I am still learning. Just curious how long did it take you guys to go from weekend worrier to full time? Where you worried to take the jump from your steady paycheck to the business? I am looking to some how quit my job and start detailing full time. To replace say 500 a week. Just curious how you guys made the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk expect the worse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long did it take to go full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Prerunner06 View Post
    I have been detailing off and on now for 2-3years. I am still learning. Just curious how long did it take you guys to go from weekend worrier to full time? Where you worried to take the jump from your steady paycheck to the business? I am looking to some how quit my job and start detailing full time. To replace say 500 a week. Just curious how you guys made the swap.

Before you do anything like that understand the demographic of your area. Population, average income, competitors etc. I`m only a weekend detailer have for years and that`s the way I like it.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO - you gotta make a commitment.

The "off and on" in my mind says you haven`t decided what ya want
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am ready to commit to it. I have received my first "account" from my boss. I work as a general service tech. The company I work for has 3 stores across the valley (live in Phx az). I am going to a start my own company or find work at a detailing shop.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

BeemerBoy above said it best !

It is a big commitment physically and dollar-wise at the start, so you are already behind at the blocks.

Getting a place to do this with enough lighting, facilities for water, drainage, heating and cooling at appropriate times, Liability Insurance, and a Business License, Rent/Lease payment, getting the Ok from the Nazi Homeowners Assn., and your Neighbors, if you decide to try it at home, a big chunk of change to get supplies, to enable you to hopefully Detail a few vehicles before you have run out and have to replenish some things. You will always be doing a load of either cotton or microfiber towels, when it is extremely busy..

I have said ad-nauseum, how I started and will not bore anyone again with those details.. My plan worked so good, I get existing Clients back or new Clients almost every day I am at the Shop...

At the end of the day, you need to be able to come up with a theoretical $$$ number you project you can make to pay all your bills - all of them - and leave you with a certain amount projected by you, to put into your Bank...

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    BeemerBoy above said it best !

It is a big commitment physically and dollar-wise at the start, so you are already behind at the blocks.

Getting a place to do this with enough lighting, facilities for water, drainage, heating and cooling at appropriate times, Liability Insurance, and a Business License, Rent/Lease payment, getting the Ok from the Nazi Homeowners Assn., and your Neighbors, if you decide to try it at home, a big chunk of change to get supplies, to enable you to hopefully Detail a few vehicles before you have run out and have to replenish some things. You will always be doing a load of either cotton or microfiber towels, when it is extremely busy..

I have said ad-nauseum, how I started and will not bore anyone again with those details.. My plan worked so good, I get existing Clients back or new Clients almost every day I am at the Shop...

At the end of the day, you need to be able to come up with a theoretical $$$ number you project you can make to pay all your bills - all of them - and leave you with a certain amount projected by you, to put into your Bank...

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F
    Thanks for the info!! I am learning a lot about the business aspect. Basically what I am getting from this is add 20-30% to cover supplies and bills each detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Something nobody ever talks about is Uncle Sam. Count on $20 of every $100 you make to go to some form of taxes. It sucks and the government is the #1 enemy of small business. They talk a big game, but there is no help and no breaks for the small business man or the guy starting one up. Once you get into the legal aspects such as taxes and insurance, youll quickly realize that you have to run one hell of a profitable operation to make it, let alone eat.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question, 2 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve thought of this, I just graduated... I`m now on the hunt for a job so detailing is my only way of income. I make more than most but still it`s not always consistent and the commitment is hard. Get ready to bust your bottom, once you do this you have to go hard or go home. After working 3 weeks straight doing over 15+ corrections by myself, this made realize I can`t do this forever and that white collar is for me... especially after shelling out the $$$$$$$ for a degree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Something nobody ever talks about is Uncle Sam. Count on $20 of every $100 you make to go to some form of taxes. It sucks and the government is the #1 enemy of small business. They talk a big game, but there is no help and no breaks for the small business man or the guy starting one up. Once you get into the legal aspects such as taxes and insurance, youll quickly realize that you have to run one hell of a profitable operation to make it, let alone eat.
    I agree 100%

Thread Information