Post Thanks / Like

The importance of a logo...

I get asked this all the time and all too often, people overlook the one visual element that can make or break your business, right from the get-go.

I started my own design business in 1992 and have evolved my logo over time as my skills improved, but being a veteran in the graphic design business for 22+ years now, I feel it`s a very important aspect to starting a business so I figured I would share with you some information that hopefully you all can use when starting up a business, be it a detailing business, or anything for that matter.

I`ve picked up a ton of tips on this forum that have dramatically improved my detailing skills (even though I`m just a hobbyist). So I wanted to share some of my own knowledge in `my` field of expertise for those of you who are just getting started in your own business.

Hopefully it will help some of you in stepping up your game. There are a number of design studios out there as well as freelance designers, but the info here should help you in making sure you provide all the right info and get a great logo from whatever designer you choose.

So with that being said, here`s the info for you all. I hope it helps...

Having a logo that makes your company "stand out" is crucial to it`s success. After all, it`s your brand...your reputation on the line, so take pride in your business. Think of the initial cost as an investment in the future of your business. You wouldn`t buy inferior equipment or tools for your business, so why should your branding be any different. [b]Put your best foot forward and success will step right in line.[b/]

So what should you do to ensure you have a quality logo? Hire a professional graphic designer. When you get sick, you go to a doctor…when your car breaks down, you go to a mechanic. Sure you might be able to create a logo yourself, but will it be as well thought out and created in the proper software to be usable for all of your needs going forward? Microsoft Word or Powerpoint are hardly the proper tools to effectively create a logo. And if you do create it yourself, chances are you`ll eventually be paying someone to re-create it once you try to have it printed on business collateral as what you have likely will not be of good enough quality to print correctly.

Communication is the key to providing a professional graphic designer what they need to create a successful, memorable, unique logo for your company or brand. You should provide your designer with as much ammunition as possible going into the logo design process. Inform your designer of what your business does, what you are about, any particular things you do or don`t want to see, specific colors that you like or dislike. This will help guide the designer to a better target right from the start and will save you money in timely revisions.

Be sure to share your honest feedback, but do expect the same in return. Keep in mind that as the customer, we don`t always know best when it comes to others` professions, so listen to your designer if they suggest something or disagree with you on something you suggest. In the end, if you`re paying for it, you can have what you want but with years of training and experience, a graphic designer will see things differently than you and may have a legitimate reason why something does or doesn`t work with the design.

Keep these things in mind when having your logo created:

Keep it simple – less is more...your logo should be easy to recognize and understand
    Colors are key – again, less is more, plus fewer colors are cheaper to produce on business collateral
    Avoid gradients and shadows – they make the logo more busy and cluttered; these are best left for dramatic effects on websites
    Be different – never copy what your competitors are doing, be unique and stand out from them
    Be sure you`re satisfied – if you like your logo, you`ll believe in yourself and success will follow

If you want your business to be taken seriously, then you yourself must take it seriously. Invest in a logo and invest in the success of your hard work.

Feel free to make this a `sticky` if you feel this is valuable enough info, otherwise it can be easily found in searches for logos.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great info. I made sure to get black and white, grayscale, files along with the rest. Still thinking about minor tweaks and a realistic file for certain print/cards.
    Always liked your work.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The importance of a logo...

Thanks John.

Yes, be sure that your artist provides you a b/w version as well as color. I always provide mine on CD`s in a variety of formats (ai, eps, pdf, jpg, png), both b/w and color.

Post Thanks / Like

Detailers Workshop

As we say in business... KISS... Keep it simple stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post!!

Thread Information