Post Thanks / Like

Hourly Rate for Washing

Im about to get hired by a local repair shop to "detail" their clients cars. By detail the basically mean wash. The shop owner said it would be easier for them to pay me by the hour rather than by car, as some days there may not be much business. He asked me what Id have to make per hour and I told him Id have to get back to him.

My question is what is a fair hourly rate?

Im thinking start the negotiations off at $20/hr. Since I usually charge $100 for a wash, clay, wax, and interior vaccum and shampoo. Which can take up to 5 hrs. So $20/hr

What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hourly Rate for Washing

Good luck
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Ron said ....Good Luck, you might want to talk to the owner and see where is he going with this because he might be thinking 10 bucks or maybe even less per hour. Hope it turns in your favor in terms of over 20 bucks a hour.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Dave ?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Too much beer....................Ron
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I don`t know. I`d be cautious. What exactly are they wanting you to do? Just a simple wash/dress tires/spray wheel wells/outside glass? Something like that, if it`s production work would only take 30 minutes or so if you`re too concerned with a little swirls here or there. Are they going to give you volume? More than 1 car a day?

If they only give you one car a day, maybe two at $20 a car, an hour each.......

That`s not worth MY time. to deal with. Driving there, set up, time for the wash, chemical cost (low if using low budget stuff), taxes on it..........

Good luck and keep us posted!
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Star Detail View Post
    Yea, I don`t know. I`d be cautious. What exactly are they wanting you to do? Just a simple wash/dress tires/spray wheel wells/outside glass? Something like that, if it`s production work would only take 30 minutes or so if you`re too concerned with a little swirls here or there. Are they going to give you volume? More than 1 car a day?

If they only give you one car a day, maybe two at $20 a car, an hour each.......

That`s not worth MY time. to deal with. Driving there, set up, time for the wash, chemical cost (low if using low budget stuff), taxes on it..........

Good luck and keep us posted!

They want me to wash, rims, tires, wheel wells, interior and exterior glass, interior vaccuum, and dashboard condition. Takes me between an hour and an hour and a half. They said that they would have plently of cars for me to do which I belive as they are a pretty big repair shop. They also said that if there isnt any more cars during the day that they could use me around the shopdoing various things.

Im not too worried about wasting my time because I detail on the side maybe 2-3 times per week averaging $120/car and the shop wants me there between 10-15hrs a week. So I`d be making a little less but the shop also is right near my house and my supply cost would go down drastically.

Id still keep my actual detailing business but I`d dial it back a bit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDetailer View Post
    They also said that if there isnt any more cars during the day that they could use me around the shopdoing various things.
    8.50/hr

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Norcal I am in Roseville too. Executive Mobile Detail is the company name. Give me a shout some time. I had some accounts that just had me do washes too and I run under the expectations that I need to make around $100 an hour to cover my expenses and put a little change in my pocket. I can wash on average 3 cars an hour at a $30-$35 an hour. My suggestion is to not sell yourself short.

Ken

Thread Information