Thread: Is it worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it worth it?

Hey guys,

I`ve been on this forum for some time, mostly just reading, and I`ve been doing a lot of thinking. I have a passion for cars and I`ve become very interested in the world of detailing. I am very close to ordering everything I need to get started, and I feel excited and ambitious. I`ve even considered taking it to the next level and trying to make some money off of it (once I`m more experienced of course).

My question is this: Is it worth it to detail for a living?

I understand that making it a career won`t make you rich and you won`t have an extravagant lifestyle. More importantly, it`s a lot of time consuming and hard work. But, in your opinion, would you recommend it as a career option to someone who is interested?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it worth it?

It depends on your passion. I happen to have discovered a passion in detailing. If you are passionate about your job it wont be a job. Sometimes your stress level is more important than your cash flow. If you can make a good living doing what you love, I would jump on that opportunity. If you get tired after spending 45 minutes cleaning one rim and tire, maybe starting your own detailing career isnt the best choice for you. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radiocrash View Post
    Hey guys,

I`ve been on this forum for some time, mostly just reading, and I`ve been doing a lot of thinking. I have a passion for cars and I`ve become very interested in the world of detailing. I am very close to ordering everything I need to get started, and I feel excited and ambitious. I`ve even considered taking it to the next level and trying to make some money off of it (once I`m more experienced of course).

I understand that making it a career won`t make you rich and you won`t have an extravagant lifestyle. More importantly, it`s a lot of time consuming and hard work. But, in your opinion, would you recommend it as a career option to someone who is interested?
    No !

Next question !

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

You will have to decide that for yourself based upon what kind of operation you want to run (mobile, fixed location) and services to provide. For example, many want to do correction work but in many areas this work may not be as steady as just maintenance (basic washes, one step protection), interiors, and add ons like headlight restoration.

I would suggest starting part time to see if it is really want you want to do. It helps to be an outgoing person (able to approach people and start a conversation about your business) since marketing yourself is a key aspect to success.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

The answer to your question is either yes or no just depending upon the detailer. If your looking for success stories they are out there. One that would no doubt say yes is Miracle Detail (Paul Dalton). Go to YouTube and do a search on this guy and his outfit. He`s a Marketing Machine and no doubt has made a ton. It`ll open your eyes. That said for every one like him there are 50 that aren`t.

Hey guys,

A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. There`s just so many unanswered questions I have but I guess they`ll be answered in time.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to make good money in detailing, then open a production line type of shop, the more cars in and out, the more money you make. Spending 10-30 hours on a car is satisfying, but you won`t get rich that way unless you find people who will pay a couple grand per car.

Post Thanks / Like

Radio I`m just starting myself. I`m in the stage of getting everything together i.e. equipment, products, and marketing. I`ve always loved detailing and its a passion for me. I think if you have the heart to see it through it could work out for you. I continuously read the posts of other detailers to see what they have experienced so I know what to expect. It`s hard work for sure, but being self-employed in any industry is hard work. If it`s just a hobby, I would say let it be just that. But if you`re serious about being self employed.....go for it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PX2 View Post
    Radio I`m just starting myself. I`m in the stage of getting everything together i.e. equipment, products, and marketing. I`ve always loved detailing and its a passion for me. I think if you have the heart to see it through it could work out for you. I continuously read the posts of other detailers to see what they have experienced so I know what to expect. It`s hard work for sure, but being self-employed in any industry is hard work. If it`s just a hobby, I would say let it be just that. But if you`re serious about being self employed.....go for it!!
    That`s all and good, but your not hearing the whole story. First off, Most people who detail for a living don`t frequent online forums.

Second, the ones who do, only do so to promote themselves/their business (NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT CONSIDERING FORUM VENDORS DO THE SAME) and will hardly (if ever) contribute anything else.
    They are only going to show you the good stuff too, and even then their not going to show you the defects they Couldn`t remove.

They also won`t show you the 2004 Dodge Caravan they worked on the day before the Ferrari showed up. Neither will they tell you about their customer with the Ferrari that always runs 2 hours late/almost immpossible to get a check from/calls you last minute with the famous line : "It`s Now or Never !" either

I could go on and on with this if you need more reasons to second think this venture?

P.S. beware of the guy/gal that has never even seen your work/met you, but promises to send you "All Kinds of Business" in hopes of you giving them a deeeeep discount !!!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a very tough way to make a living if it is going to be your only source of income until you either make it or break it.
    It would be better to try this out if you can first justify the thousands it costs to really get started properly. And this includes the necessary licensing, Insurance, etc., all of these things take time and cost money. For example, my Liability Insurance costs $1200/year.
    It is easy to spend a couple thousand yearly on good products that you will be burning through if you are busy almost every day.
    And what if a piece of equipment breaks - these big ticket items are a couple thousand a pop too.

As has been so perfectly stated above, you need to be able to talk to anyone - intelligently - about their own vehicle`s good and bad points relating to the work you may get to do, and then express it in Layman`s terms so they understand, and tailor it that particular person and vehicle.
    So your mind is going terabytes/second as you walk around the vehicle, making darn sure you know what you are about to get into, and then coming up with a price - all pretty much in your head- while you are walking around looking inside and out, and giving the future Client feedback - all at the same time.

Do you see yourself doing this ? Are you good at "reading body language" ?
    Pretty much any profession that puts one out in front of the Public and depends on said Public for work, had better be good at these things or it will be a tougher, longer, road, that hopefully leads to success.

And after all of this is settled in your mind, let`s talk about your experience`s with Detailing and perhaps you can tell us why - what really motivates/motivated - you to decide that you might want to try this out?

I believe and this is my personal belief here - that at the end of the day, one either has the Detailing gene in their DNA or not.

You have to want to do this and be happy every day you walk out to the Shop and see the dirty,nasty, food-encrusted, soccer Mom vehicle in a glorious once black, now turned to a dull shade of gray, because of constant washing at the Brown Bear, Brush-it-till-it-Shines Carwash..

Depending on where you live and what the average level of Income is around, this totally makes a difference on your bottom line for awhile to a long time depending on how successful you become and how you plan your Marketing scheme to work. Another set of skills that you have to be able to acquire or pay or get someone to help you with.

At times, it can be monotonous work, if you allow it to fall to that level, and this can be counterproductive to your business at some point. Will you be happy and motivated all the time?

We can talk about so much more here as the subject continues to open up to other very important topics that need to be addressed.

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

You will need to start out doing every piece of crap that comes in the door, doing more than they are willing to pay for. Then you will have to throw in the freebie in order to show you know what you are doing. Now after about 8 or 9 years I finally can turn down cars I do not want to do , I am very well known in the exotic and collector world in my area, and get to work on cars people only see in magazines! I still after 12 years work 6 or 7 days a week,but it is much better work! Good luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not saying that right now my number one goal in life is to be a professional detailer and make a living that way. I just wanted honest feedback from people who have a lot more experience than me.

Why did I consider this is as an opportunity to make some money? One reason is the fact that I love cars. Now, I know that I won`t be detailing anything high end but the only happy future I can foresee for myself is something that involves cars in any way (even the dirty work). I know that I won`t be a millionaire or be completely ecstatic every moment of the day. However, the simple fact that I can make someone`s day by restoring one of the biggest, current investments of their life is enough to make me happy. I did it for them and have the satisfaction of knowing that their appreciation for my work is well deserved. I`m also good with people. I know what people do and don`t want to hear and I`m good at reading body language.

I don`t want to be another mindless drone for a company. I don`t want to make someone money and not feel appreciated. I want to make something for and of myself...and this is something that I`ve thought about.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m not saying that right now my number one goal in life is to be a professional detailer and make a living that way. I just wanted honest feedback from people who have a lot more experience than me.

Why did I consider this is as an opportunity to make some money? One reason is the fact that I love cars. Now, I know that I won`t be detailing anything high end but the only happy future I can foresee for myself is something that involves cars in any way (even the dirty work). I know that I won`t be a millionaire or be completely ecstatic every moment of the day. However, the simple fact that I can make someone`s day by restoring one of the biggest, current investments of their life is enough to make me happy. I did it for them and have the satisfaction of knowing that their appreciation for my work is well deserved. I`m also good with people. I know what people do and don`t want to hear and I`m good at reading body language.

I don`t want to be another mindless drone for a company. I don`t want to make someone money and not feel appreciated. I want to make something for and of myself...and this is something that I`ve thought about.
    Radiocrash -

Great, well thought out reply here !

I sense you DO have the gene ! I also love to do this and regardless of how hard or challenging it was, nothing compares to seeing the Client/s look on their faces when the get the "big reveal"

My Clients to a person have all been stunned when they first see their "baby" all perfect and new again.

Sounds like you have a good foundation going, keep it up !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    .... nothing compares to seeing the Client/s look on their faces when the get the "big reveal"
    This reminds me a the reality tv shows where they remodel the home, restuarant, etc. so maybe there will be a detailing nightmares reality show!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those questions where a serious amount of self analysis/reflection is required...

I`ve always been one of those "cant leave well enough alone" types....and as a business man doing the cost/effort/time analysis I would probably make more money as a walmart greeter than a detailer.....

I admire all the pros on here and their work..... and I emulate them to the best I can....but the only customer I found I can satisfy is me.....so I have become an avid enthusiast detailer....

good luck in your choices...

Thread Information