Bop's Auto Wash & Detail GThg3zx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When is enough work Enough for the price?

How do you guys offer your services and then not feel like there`s always more to be done while detailing the customers car?! Obviously stick by the guidelines if the service you`re offering, but when is enough Enough for "EXT Wash/Detail"? "INT Detail"? "Both EXT & INT Detail"?

Maybe I`m a perfectionist when it comes to ultimate car cleaning, but I can`t be giving 5 hours of work for a service less than $100! ....

Guidelines?! ...

Comments very, very much appreciated!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When is enough work Enough for the price?

So far, this is what I have learned: Some people will always ask for a lot more than you feel you`re getting paid for. Kindly explain them your prices and what services you offer for that price, and then explain them if they want something extra, it would be x amount of dollars. They might not like the price, but don`t cheapen yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

Enough work is when the job is done to your satisfaction and the customers requirements. Just make sure the compensation is sufficient to match the labor you put into the vehicle. Let`s face it most detailers are far more picky than the customers they work for. That said there will always be that customer that wants the moon for a buck twenty-nine.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

My bulk work is for our local repair shop, the owner is also an auction hunter for hire. I do compact and mid-size sedans in and out for him for roughly $200-250 but that`s because he leaves me the car to work on at my leisure. For other customers I go with $75-$100 for an interior and an exterior for $200. If it`s a full size SUV/pickup, I adjust accordingly. No engine details for liability reasons, unless it`s the auction guy.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to be balanced. Yes you want to give the customer a good job, but that`s according to the customer and what is acceptable to the customer. I always try to give a little more than what my services offer, without cutting myself short. Once you find that fine line of making the customer happy and making a buck, then your set.
    Get your shine on!

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s best to put pen to paper and put in writing what each package/level does.
    This is good for you and your clients.
    If you make it like a checklist it will help.
    Give the client once approved a non checklist version with their ok. When they pick up give them a copy of the checklist. They know when they drop off what they are getting. When they pick up they see it again.

Knowing where to stop was always a problem for me. Most of my work was Comcours prep. Putting things in writing helped me, not to mention did away with people expecting more than they paid for on general details.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    I always try to give a little more than what my services offer, without cutting myself short.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Enough work is when the job is done to your satisfaction and the customers requirements. Just make sure the compensation is sufficient to match the labor you put into the vehicle. Let`s face it most detailers are far more picky than the customers they work for. That said there will always be that customer that wants the moon for a buck twenty-nine.

This pretty much sums it up. I would love to have 3+days on every car but, ultimately, the customer probably won`t appreciate the difference. Most people are happy with 80% improvement. The additional 20% can double or tripple+ the time/cost. Always undersell and over-deliver, but don`t give a ferrari for the price of a Honda.

Post Thanks / Like

To get to the point of knowing when enough is enough you first have to loose you shirt on every job for an extended period of time. After a while you will get sick of it and do either one of two things :

1) Do what most do and say "this job SUCKS !!! / isn`t as easy / as much fun as I though it was going to be ! I QUIT !!!!"

Or

2) Charge an hourly rate. Your still not going to get rich if you use this method, but at least you will know hour much you will be making after X amount of hours

I had the same problem as you do and I`m sure every other detialer has had it as well. This business can be brutal if you work stupid !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the list, it helps you keep on track as well as showing a customer what to expect.
    It`s telling them (and reminding you)....here`s what my wash n wax package consists of for $100.....here are the additional items done for $200, etc. Just pulled those figures out of the air, use your own of course.

Going by the hour takes some experience under your belt first. You REALLY need to have a very good idea of how long a particular job will take before giving a quote. If you overcharge due to inexperience that will be the last time you ever see that customer.

Post Thanks / Like

When I used to detail full time, starting out, it was hard for me to say "no". You quickly learn to say no if you want to stay profitable. Having packages helps as well. "Sir that isn`t included in level 1 but is included in level 2."

Some people want to feel like they are getting something special and there is nothing wrong with that. You, as the business owner, have to decide when to use this for your benefit.

Thread Information