Post Thanks / Like

Questions for the mobile guys

Im looking to start a mobile detailing service this spring and have a LOT of questions. But ill try to keep it short here. Im a little lost on what i can/should be able to do when going mobile as opposed to a fixed location. While I would love to work out of my garage, im just about 100% certain that ill have a problem with local ordinances (rather not take the risk). Plus, as far as I can tell, there are at least 4 detail shops within about 5 miles of my house, but NONE of them offer a mobile service. Nor have I ever seen one in the 15 years ive lived in my area. So my gut tells me mobile is the way to go.

First of all. What all can be done as a mobile detailer? My concern is sunlight and using compounds/polishes/sealants etc. Is it just a lot harder to apply products or does it actually come down to products being ineffective? How do you go about working around sunlight/hot surfaces? I was thinking about buying a 12x12 ez up canopy to bring with me to customers houses (if i cant use the garage). Is that something thats effective or is it a waste of time/money? Is it common for people to let you use their garage (or have one clean enough to get a car in)?

I also need to keep my budget to a minimum to get started. I figure between towels, tools, and products, I would like to keep my budget around $500. So what are some of the best multi use products out there that will allow me to have one product for multiple uses?

Right now on my list of products to get are...
    CG citrus wash
    BF total polish and seal
    megs APC plus
    BF tire dressing gel
    Detailers pro series interior protectant
    CarPro PERL Coat Plastic & Rubbe​r Protectant
    BF Polymer spray selant (for maintenance washes)

Would you recommend anything else? I plan to be more of a glorified wash and wax kinda guy rather than a full blown detailer at first (to limit startup costs). I think this just about covers everything but I dont want to get caught with my pants down and not have a good quality product when I find out I need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions for the mobile guys

Well I would look into Poorboy`s. A lot of their products are made to be put on in the sun, these products offer a great advantage for any mobile detailer. Another thing about being a mobile detailer is you need to adapt to your enviornments. This involves moving the car around so that you can work on the shaded parts, pulling the car into the shade, and getting products that are sun friendly like poorboys.

If you`re buget is $500 then I can`t see you having a pressure washer, water tank, or generator, no no no. Your best bet is to do rinseless washing, use the customers water, power, and maybe, just maybe after you have bought all your products will you be able to afford a Porter Cable and possibly a nice vacuum.

A word of advice, if you don`t have the slightest clue about detailing I suggest finding a good job, because it is going to be a struggle
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a full time job, one that I would like to slowly work away from as I can. I have a small shop vac from Lowes that will be just fine for starting off. I am including the PC polisher in my budget.

Ive always detailed my own car as well as my wifes. Using mostly over the counter stuff from places like auto zone. So I have enough of an idea of what im doing to at least be comfortable getting started. All I will really be doing is moving up to higher quality products and tools to do the best job possible within my budget. I also worked in a body shop for 4 months basically detailing every car that came in, removing overspray (with a 3" rotary polisher) etc. This along with a couple semesters of auto body repair and auto paint classes in college where i got comfortable with a rotary polisher.

Ill look into the poorboys products. Thats one major area where im working to improve my knowledge... products. It all comes with time!

I plan to move up to a water tank, generator and power washer as things get moving and I have money coming in. For now as I get going, I will be using customers water/electricity.

I`m starting to get the idea that I should start buying products now. slowly adding to the collection until I have everything that I need. Easier to spend $700 over 4 months rather than $500 up front

Post Thanks / Like

Go with a Griot`s 6" instead of a PC. More torque and roughly same price. You`ll find that you`ll spend more on backing plates and pads than the machine itself.

I absolutely recommend getting a canopy of some sort for the summer. It is the best $100 I`ve spent. Even when you have a garage to work in you will still need to do the wash outside. Make sure you can anchor it. Just a light wind can blow it into the car. It won`t cover the entire car, but through creative strategizing it works.

If you aren`t doing big paint correction jobs, you shouldn`t need to worry about whether or not the customer has a garage to work in which is less than 50%. (Often because it is at their work.) If they do and it works, great, particularly for working in wet or cold weather. I sometimes find it more comfortable to work outside, even when a garage is available. During summer a light breeze can make all the difference on a 90+ degree day.

I am primarily mobile but do have about 20% of my business brought to me or I pick up, but that is usually for bigger jobs that take more than 1 day. It is a small enough amount that it isn`t obvious that I am running a business since most of the work is done in the garage. My neighbors don`t mind and if a city official saw me it would just look like I am washing my own car.

Always ask the customer ahead of time if they have available utilities to make sure you are prepared for the circumstances and always bring your own hose. Nothing worse than getting there and finding their hose isn`t long enough or the end is damaged and won`t take a nozzle. I have never had an issue with a customer not wanting me to use their water/electricity.

Some must haves (My opinion) to add to your list:

ONR I don`t know how anyone gets by without it. Particularly useful in extreme cold or hot temps or when water isn`t available. Even if you only use if for door jams.

Meguiar`s Hyper Dressing Inexpensive and multiple dilutions for many uses for tires, wheel wells, trim etc.

Optimum Power Clean Might seem redundant on top of Meg`s APC+, which is my own go to, but there are times when OPC does a better job and lower risk of damage to paint.

A WOWA like Opti-Seal or Crystal-Seal. Seems expensive but a little goes a loooooooonnnnnng way.

Don`t forget to budget for MF towels. I think I have as much money tied up in MF towels as your entire starting budget and at times it still doesn`t seem like enough.

Good luck! Keep reading and asking questions. You`ll learn from experience very quickly what you need and what simply makes your job easier.

--Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I figured the canopy was a good move. What kind did you get and do you have any issue setting it up by yourself? Im flying solo so I wont have a 2nd set of hands to setup a canopy.

Im thinking now after what you said about working at home, that I would be able to do full paint corrections only at my home garage. I wouldnt advertise it outright but when meeting with a new customer I could mention that idea to them I guess if the car needs it.

I plan on buying at least one hose so all I need is a spigot within X number of feet of the car. Also plan on having my own extension cord.

I redid my supplies list tonight based upon both of your suggestions. Using only Megs Detailer and Poorboy`s products. Ive read through various searches on these forums that when starting out, its best to stick to one companys products. So besidees the CG citrus wash (from what i read its the best stuff out there), ill be using Poorboys products for paint correction/protection and Megs for everything else. I added a quick detailer and a rinseless wash to my list so doing a quick weekly wash (contracts) will be much faster and easier.

Your posts have been very helpful. Thanks a bunch! Im starting to realize that i might have to up my budget a little bit :p Anything worth doing is worth doing right! And I want to make sure my future customers know thats how I feel right from the start

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Continue to research when it comes to products and detailing tools. Look for recommendations and reviews from the people who know what they are talking about. All the info you are asking for is at your fingertips.

I have always used a small pressure washer and I would not want to be without it, especially if you are going to be doing any neglected cars. It makes cleaning areas like door jambs, wheels and grilles much faster and easier.

The need for a tent is going to depend on your location somewhat. I`m in Florida and I only use one in the summer time for the most part. I get most of my detailing done by noon these days so I can live without it. It is an attention getter though and would probably get you more walk-up business if you had one.

Most importantly, make a business plan. You need to factor in all costs to know what you are truly making. Everything from wear and tear on your vehicle to knowing how many ounces of product it takes to do the average job. Most mobile guys don`t factor those things and assume they are making more than they really are.

I very rarely run into a situation where I need a generator. BUT, if you want to target offices than one might very well be needed. You do get a lot of exposure doing work at offices so that is something to be considered. I have a few offices that I service but I`m able to plug in at all of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t agree with sticking to one product line, but that`s just my opinion. I think it might be limiting. I haven`t used most of the Poorboy`s products so I can`t speak first hand. I just know that they are designed to be used in direct sun, which is a plus for mobile.

I would recommend holding off on paint corrections until you get some experience dealing with the basics. Stick to the All-In-Ones for a while and use friends and family cars to practice corrections on. It doesn`t take long to run across something that requires something you don`t have on hand when you have a limited stock. Plus it will help you learn to quote.

One more essential item I missed is clay. I highly recommend a speedy-prep towel. Seems expensive, but you`ll easily spend more than that in the long run on clay in the long run and it saves a lot of time. Still good to have some clay on hand for when the towel is marring.

You`ll also need a wheel cleaner of some kind. Definitely do some research on those and make sure you know what kind of wheels you are dealing with.

My canopy is a First-Up that I got at Wal-Mart for ~$100 on sale. Not the highest quality but it has lasted me through 2 summers so far. Very compact in it`s case and fairly easy to set up. Moving it into position with one person, however, is the tough part. I have to work from side to side and move each side a foot or two and "walk" it into position. It is usually easier to set it up then move the car under it. Just takes some getting used to. When you work alone you become creative in how to make things work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post
    I don`t agree with sticking to one product line, but that`s just my opinion. I think it might be limiting. I haven`t used most of the Poorboy`s products so I can`t speak first hand. I just know that they are designed to be used in direct sun, which is a plus for mobile.

I would recommend holding off on paint corrections until you get some experience dealing with the basics. Stick to the All-In-Ones for a while and use friends and family cars to practice corrections on. It doesn`t take long to run across something that requires something you don`t have on hand when you have a limited stock. Plus it will help you learn to quote.

One more essential item I missed is clay. I highly recommend a speedy-prep towel. Seems expensive, but you`ll easily spend more than that in the long run on clay in the long run and it saves a lot of time. Still good to have some clay on hand for when the towel is marring.

You`ll also need a wheel cleaner of some kind. Definitely do some research on those and make sure you know what kind of wheels you are dealing with.

My canopy is a First-Up that I got at Wal-Mart for ~$100 on sale. Not the highest quality but it has lasted me through 2 summers so far. Very compact in it`s case and fairly easy to set up. Moving it into position with one person, however, is the tough part. I have to work from side to side and move each side a foot or two and "walk" it into position. It is usually easier to set it up then move the car under it. Just takes some getting used to. When you work alone you become creative in how to make things work for you.

Very good advise. I too have started my own mobile detailing business. If you are new to paint correcting I would hold off on that until you have practiced on plenty of friends cars. If you get a DA(i got a GG 6") you should learn how to do good paint correction in a safe manner. Also, as I dont have a paint thickness gauge. I will not do more than 2 stage correction unless I absolutely know the paint history. Not good to eat thru paint if you cant really afford to give them a new paint job. So hold off on the heavy correcting until you have more experience and a paint depth gauge.

As far as products, dont stick to one brand like stated above. For waterless wash or rinseless wash I like Ultima. For other stuff like detailer spray, interior spary and other stuff I like Chemical Guys. If you can buy in bulk, do it. You will save a ton of money.

For mobile detailing you should look into waterless and rinseless techniques. Allows you to wash the car anywhere without more than a gallon of water. Dont jump in too fast. Take plenty of pictures for clients to see. Im correcting my friends trashed Aviator this weekend for pictures and practice. So dont get mad if ya got to hand out free services to get your work noticed. Good luck, im sure there are more things im missing. Other experts will clear those up

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should of mentioned clay was on my list. I figured it goes without saying but then again, you guys dont know me and im sure plenty of "new to detailing" (not just professional) guys come thru here. My bad :p

Im going to work on writing up a business plan before I get into buying too much stuff (id love all of it for my own car regardless). I actually dont plan on keeping more than maybe 25% of whatever I earn so I would think my expectations arent very high. Once I get a steady income and know my expenses/tax obligations etc then I will know how much I can keep.

As far as sticking to one product line. I guess I wouldnt say im going to stick to just one. With any job I do weather it be the machines I work on at work or my own car, Im always looking to try new things and see what might do the job better. Everybody has to start somewhere. Once I get a good system going and products start to run out, I will explore other brands (coming here for opinions of course ) But for now, when a lot of my time and energy is focused on getting things started, id prefer to keep things as simple as possible. My prices and products will reflect my experience and knowledge

As for a power washer, I can borrow my dads karcher electric one if needed (I think im the only one who ever used it in the last 3 years anyway). Its been sitting in my garage for months anyway so he might not even know.

And I`m all about attention getters I actually plan on getting a small yard sign to stick out at the end of the driveways of houses I`m working at that will have my logo, web address and phone number. Might even look into putting my logo on the canopy itself. Its a big part of my marketing strategy that I have in my head

Thread Information